User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
jayj93pgt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
adv noob

looking to do get a bike to do longer trips and such on, maybe some solo camping or whatever gets me away from snoreville. Anyway my short ass is only 5'7" and i dont know how to measure an inseam but its probably not good. on a stock 2012 vstrom adventure i can have both feet touching, but just on the balls not flat. anyway enough of that. I am wondering before i continue looking at bikes and considering a bike that is borderline too tall for my comfort, is there a certain amount of ground clearance, front/rear suspension travel that i should maintain when considering lowering if im going to be taking it on dirt and gravel roads etc? i most likely wont be taking this bike out to do hardcore off roading but would like to be able to hit forest roads and maybe a little harsher i suppose but im sure it will see significant amounts of slab. I dont like the idea of lowering suspension but i would like to be flat foot or nearly flat the first time i take a bike out on dirt in my life.

if anyone here thinks i should just get a lightweight ds or dirt bike to learn on first please let me know before i get a 650cc'ish adv style bike and go beat the shit out of it and drop it everywhere lol. my experience riding is about 2 years, 2003 sv650s, 2005 gsxr 600, 2006 triumph sprint st 1050, 2009 ninja 250r, and my honda pcx 125 scooter (chick magnet)
jayj93pgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
BMW G650GS. They make a "Low Seat Height" model. It'll handle better for a shorter person than the slightly-tall Vstroms. It's also very affordable and the amount of accessories and options for BMW adventure bikes rival Harleys. Perfect pack mule bike and it'll fit you well, as long as you aren't trying to break speed records (which it sounds like you aren't) you won't outgrow it.

BMW dealerships are super lenient about test rides too, go ride one. Thank me later.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,927
DR650.

Depends on how much and how fast you want to slab ride.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I wouldn't worry too much about standover height. If you can get one toe down to balance you're fine.

Folks are intimidated by tall bikes but they're really not bad at all. I'm only 5'9" and I ride a KLR with stock height everything.

I just step up onto the peg(stand side) and mount my bike like a horse.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
5'7" on a good day and enjoying a stock height DR650. Rear suspension settles a bit and height is fine. Toes are good and 1 flat foot on the ground at a time works well too.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
I get that it is comforting to be flat footed but don't buy a bike based on your current level of experience and skill. It will seriously limit your choices. Expand your consideration to bikes that you can put one foot down solidly. If all you are looking for is a bike to do dirt roads, anything short of a full on sport bike with work. Think DR, Versys, Vespa, Ruckus or whatever. If you stay out of deep mud or sand any bike will be good. There is a Dutch rider riding the Saharan desert on an R1 so don't think that the bike is the most important part of the equation. Get whatever you want and learn how to ride it. Your SV would be plenty capable on a fs road. Anything with an upright riding position and wider bars will suffice. If you are having fun in the dirt you will drop it so don't get a pretty boy. Broken levers, bent handlebars, and scratched paint are part of the experience. Something light enough to pick up easily is a bonus.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 10:51 PM
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
crowe2815
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Dr650. Cheap enough and tough enough that it wont worry you too much when you drop it. That was my reasoning behind buying one and now i would not swap it. I have had a ride on a few peoples heavier bikes and it just feels like extra work throwing them around with no real advantage other than maybe the comfort of them when doing big slab rides. The lighter the better is my moto now for both bikes and packing.
crowe2815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,319
The DR650 would be a good first dual sport, but not ideal for multi-state rides (they can do it though). You can pick one up for a few thousand, you can get lowering links for them, and MMoto in the Ukraine makes a very stout rack that will carry your gear.

If you are looking for something more refined, the BMWs get good reviews, and are easy to mod with some pretty tricked out aftermarket stuff like racks, lights, electrical plugs, and all of that. You'll pay for it, though.

The Triumph 800XC may be too tall. A KTM 690 might work too (haven't sat on one, so I don't know how tall it is).
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Don't be intimidated by the height. You'll get used to it. But a tall and heavy bike is something else.

I'm 5'9" 30" inseam, and just do one foot down on the f800gs. Unfortunately when it was loaded with gear and I was stopped on an unknown small sideways slope, there was no stopping it from going over. Oh well, no big deal.

Any bike up to 400lbs should be easy to manhandle around.

With all that being said. Make sure you buy a well taken care of bike for a good deal, ride it until you know what you want, sell it and move on. The worst thing you can do is pay wayyy too much for a bike that is in bad condition, hate it, and lose a ton of money trying to go a different route.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayj93pgt View Post
looking to do get a bike to do longer trips and such on, maybe some solo camping or whatever gets me away from snoreville. Anyway my short ass is only 5'7" and i dont know how to measure an inseam but its probably not good. on a stock 2012 vstrom adventure i can have both feet touching, but just on the balls not flat. anyway enough of that. I am wondering before i continue looking at bikes and considering a bike that is borderline too tall for my comfort, is there a certain amount of ground clearance, front/rear suspension travel that i should maintain when considering lowering if im going to be taking it on dirt and gravel roads etc? i most likely wont be taking this bike out to do hardcore off roading but would like to be able to hit forest roads and maybe a little harsher i suppose but im sure it will see significant amounts of slab. I dont like the idea of lowering suspension but i would like to be flat foot or nearly flat the first time i take a bike out on dirt in my life.

if anyone here thinks i should just get a lightweight ds or dirt bike to learn on first please let me know before i get a 650cc'ish adv style bike and go beat the shit out of it and drop it everywhere lol. my experience riding is about 2 years, 2003 sv650s, 2005 gsxr 600, 2006 triumph sprint st 1050, 2009 ninja 250r, and my honda pcx 125 scooter (chick magnet)
I'm 5'8"/30" inseam, and my first dirtybike was an unlowered DR650SE. While not ideal for height, weight, or suspension, it was fine because I'm strong and sturdy, and because I started off gradually, rather than trying to race Baja my first time off the pavement.

It runs slab nicely too. Just set the bike up for your usage.

Buy used.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
Beachfinn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
5,7" 30ish inseam and #130 wet. I captain morgan a stock height Triumph 800xc all day
Plus, it only matters when you stop....
Beachfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
Thumpstart92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
I would try a DR650 and lower it the factory way, then once you get more comfortable to it you can put it back to stock height
Old 10-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
jayj93pgt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
awesome, thanks everyone for the suggestions. the only reason im a bit nervous is cause ive never ridden anything on dirt/gravel so i guess i have a fear that im going to just eat gravel the first time i take a turn. I ended up just getting a short bike to learn on for really cheap, I do like the dr650 and the bmw g650gs as the weight is lower. I am skilled enough to ride a bike when i can barely tip toe, i will probably move up to a dr650se or g650gs or possibly a tiger 800 next summer. for now i bought a little xt225 and im going to learn on it and probably give it to my girlfriend or something when i move up to something different.

appreciate all of the info too. it makes sense that any bike can basically do any type of riding. Ive learned over the years that comfort is huge moreso than looking cool on a supersport bike that is far from comfortable or practical...although i may get another one anyway lol. one can never have too many bikes!!
jayj93pgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
That XT225 should be a super fun bike to ride. Smaller is better for learning offroad.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam, and ride a DR650 with the factory lowering option. I can flat foot one foot, or touch toes down with both feet. At stock height, I had to lean the bike over to get one foot down flat, so it is much more comfortable for me at the 1.5" lower height.

It is a great compromise bike. It can run 75 mph all day long, does awesome on forest roads, even when the going gets a little rough. And it can handle some pretty rough stuff, you just need to be aware that it isn't a 200 lb. dirt bike, and slow down accordingly...