Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
BordrStrdler OP
needtoride

Oddometer: 9
Who has done a RawHyde Adventure course?

I am planning on doing a Rawhyde adventure course and was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has already participated in their classes.

BordrStrdler screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 09:23 PM Reason: subject change
BordrStrdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
BMW JEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Been there

Would suggest you PM me to arrange a time to call and discuss the many facets of the Training.

Sincerely, Curt

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” ― John Lennon
BMW JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
. Thinking of one in CO next year.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Jim and the rawhide team are fantastic. I couldn't recommend it higher. You will likely need to attend more then one course to learn all you will need to learn, but believe me when I say that you will want to go back... I too am happy to discuss rawhyde with anyone that wants via the phone. Just PM me your number and I'll save you the dime......

Jim and I had initial talks about doing a course out east at my farm in VT, but I think those plans are at least a year from coming to fruition if they do at all.

I know I'm going back ASAP, there is always more to learn
Old 10-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
flatland964
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
I did a weekend class recently in Colorado. Excellent experience. The location is nothing to complain about either!

I had extremely little offroad experience prior to the class and learned a lot while having a great time. I will likely return for another class and one or more of their rides.

I'd also be glad to talk if you pm me.
2001 BMW R1150GS
flatland964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,561
Here's my trip report from earlier this year... Can an east coast rider survive RawHydes Next Step

Hope it helps
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
WellInsured
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Consider South Africa!

This past december while on vacation visiting family i took a rider course at http://www.rideracademy.co.za
While there i did some currency calculations and discovered that the cost of training in south africa is not much different then doing it in north america!
WellInsured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
I've checked out the site, but was unable to find the info I was looking for, namely, are they a BMW only outfit? I see that they are a santioned BMW course, but does that mean you can only take the course on a BMW (either yours or theirs)? Anyone know?

MV
Old 10-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
Iwantabikesobad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038

Talked to them a while back, KTM is welcome there.
09 KTM Adv. The Orange ones are faster!
Iwantabikesobad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:59 AM   #10
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
To whomever PMd me about this. I am on a trip and will call you Tuesday, sorry about the inconvenience.. Cell reception is spotty in the ME back woods... Spent tonight in a hotel as my head was getting pretty itchy

You can ride anything that runs at rawhyde as long as you don't mind dropping it, because you will likely do so. If you can afford it I'd rent a bike of similar size and weight to your own. Their bikes are ready for a nap or two... The instructors are top notch, the food is 4-5 star, and the comrodery is usually fantastic. Jim and the staff are very approachable, and really believe in what they do. My experience was clearly better then good. I didn't learn everything I need to know, but I learned enough to give me the confidence to try to do much more, and the fundamentals they gave me have proven to extend to many applications I never would have tried prior. Soft sand (we have a lot of really deep soft sand where I live), and water crossing still need work on my part, but normal trails don't faze me in the least, and I now search them out..

Yes it is pricy, but what price can you put to opening up the world to you.. I'm far from a rich man, and realy struggled to get to money together, but my experience was such that I'm already sending in small batches of money for level two... If I hit the lottery I'm definatley taking one of their trips as well.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #11
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdwrkr View Post
You can ride anything that runs at rawhyde as long as you don't mind dropping it, because you will likely do so. If you can afford it I'd rent a bike of similar size and weight to your own. Their bikes are ready for a nap or two... The instructors are top notch, the food is 4-5 star, and the comrodery is usually fantastic. Jim and the staff are very approachable, and really believe in what they do. My experience was clearly better then good. I didn't learn everything I need to know, but I learned enough to give me the confidence to try to do much more, and the fundamentals they gave me have proven to extend to many applications I never would have tried prior. Soft sand (we have a lot of really deep soft sand where I live), and water crossing still need work on my part, but normal trails don't faze me in the least, and I now search them out..

Yes it is pricy, but what price can you put to opening up the world to you.. I'm far from a rich man, and realy struggled to get to money together, but my experience was such that I'm already sending in small batches of money for level two... If I hit the lottery I'm definatley taking one of their trips as well.
Agreed....
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #12
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
I never did the courses but did do the continental divide ride in 2012. It was pretty epic. Of course you could do this on your own, but having the route planned and the food prepared was worth it to me, plus made it an easier sell to the wife. It's a solidly run outfit and most people on the trip had done the classes, many had done all the classes. Jim does a nice job of cultivating a sense of community that seems to bring people back, so it's not just the riding. As far as the bikes, they clearly cater to the BMW crowd. But my impression is that is a pure business decision. The folks that have waded deep into the touratech catalogue usually have the disposable income for these sorts of events. My wife and I showed up for the CDR ride on a couple of yamahas - an xt250 and a wr 250, that we had ridden from Dallas to Albuquerque for the ride. Everyone else was on BMWs. Jim and company could have cared less what we were on, but at first some of the people on the ride were a bit standoffish, like we had invaded their secret club. That went away after a few days and we had a great time and met some great people. At the end of the ride in Helena, Montana, people went there own ways and we turned around and rode the UTBDR back. I missed having the other folks around and my camp food was pretty awful compared to what we had been eating. Overall, it was a great experience.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
Quote:
at first some of the people on the ride were a bit standoffish,
Could it have been that pink tutu pulling up in the parking lot?

hope you and Jodi are well. Luanna says hi too.

Mark
Old 10-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
Could it have been that pink tutu pulling up in the parking lot?

hope you and Jodi are well. Luanna says hi too.

Mark

The tutu may have had something to do with it, or maybe the pink hair
It can be a bit WTF.

Hope you're well
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #15
HBAR
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I went in September and enjoyed every minute. Great people, great food, great instructors and a good practical education.
Its a little spendy, but I think it was worth the time and money.

Cheers,

HBAR
HBAR is offline   Reply With Quote