Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #31
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by krucymucy View Post
Nice report. Although I was expecting more photos from my country.
And btw, Croatian money is called kuna, Serbs still name theirs dinar.
I'm almost certain the best pictures on the trip would have been from Mangart with the misty clouds! That was an amazing scene. I was in such a rush to photo it I didn't look at the settings and they all came out completely black. I was really disappointed when I saw that. Unfortunately Slovenia was mostly rainy.. so I guess I'll have to go back

Yea, the currencies got me XE app only holds 10 and that was not enough

Old 10-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #32
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,023
Thank you for the explanation.

I was in Belgrade once -- for work. Prettiest girls I've ever seen.

That's the extent of my Balkan travels. I'd love to return one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
Intrigued is a great word. I'm looking down at that building and the "valley of heroes" from the memorial, with the early morning mist off the river. I gather this building is part of the memorial and has (or had) paintings or something. This is a beautiful region with the primeval (undisturbed) forest, many animals, plants and lakes. Such a peaceful ecosystem and simple lifestyle that is so contradictory to its recent history of violence and war. I gather this is a WWII memorial and that massive crowds would come here every year.. it seemed to represent the start of Tito's campaign against the occupying Axis.. But that had all changed since the breakup of Yugoslavia with violence and atrocities here again. Intrigued is a good word, because information seems kind of sparse in English. Now the tourists are starting to come back. There's lots of rafting camps along the rivers. Lots of ADV riding too. It's the kind of place I would like to live, so long as it remained safe.

"This memorial complex (with a small museum) commemorates the Battle of the Sutjeska, code-name Fall Schwarz. The battle took place from 15 May to 16 June 1943. The target was to eliminate the central Yugoslav Partisan formations and capture their commander, Josip Broz Tito. The Axis rallied 127,000 land troops for the offensive, including German, Italian, NDH, Bulgarian and Greek SS-forces, as well as 300 planes. The Partisans had 18,000 men. Afther heavy fights the Partisans succeeded to break through and escape with the majority of the men. All men who could not escape, including a complete hospital, were murdered by the Axis-troops. In total, 6,391 Partisans and 2000 civilians died. Because the major part of the Partisan army could escape, together with their leader Josib Broz Tito, operation Fall Schwarz failed. The failure of the offensive marked a turning point for Yugoslavia during WWII."
Old 10-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #33
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
I was in Belgrade once -- for work. Prettiest girls I've ever seen.
I heard that a few times... If what I saw in Bucharest and Niš was any indication, there may be some truth to it.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #34
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Pyramids

While I’m packing up the next morning I see the shepherd on another crest waiting for his sheep. We exchange a wave and he eventually carries on. The roads got more interesting along gorges under cloud and a few passes above them. I went to Zenica for lunch where there was supposed to be a memorial. It didn't jump out at me and the city was busy so I carry on towards Sarajevo. I didn't really plan my routes and I ended up doing some small dirt roads with some houses and a small ski resort in the hills. When I got on the road to Sarajevo it started to pour. I saw a sign “Hotel**** €10” I just couldn't resist.

It was really a 3 star Hotel with a clever logo. The toothless old man working the reception was funny even though we only understand a few mutual words. He kept going on about “pyramids” and I kept telling him “No, no Egypt this trip..” I walked down the street to load up on the infamous cheese and spinach burek pies and other little necessities. I should have learned by now, when a “4 star” Hotel is so cheap and out of season, there is probably no hot water. I usually prefer the small “pensiones” but I like to switch it up. I eventually figured out what pyramid the old man was talking about. I was in Visoko, near one of the “Bosnian pyramids”.

Pekara is one of the few words I learned. Good place to find delicious bureks

squawk77 screwed with this post 01-14-2014 at 11:17 AM
squawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #35
krucymucy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Nice pictures, they bring back memories. Next year I have to go to Greece and make a circular way through the Balkan.
krucymucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #36
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,023
What kind of camera equipment are you using? These photos are over the top!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #37
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Quote:
Nice pictures, they bring back memories. Next year I have to go to Greece and make a circular way through the Balkan.
I think my next trip I want to spend more time in Bavaria, Swiss/Austrian alps and Triglav in Slovenia, up to Slovakia and back through Poland. After the deep freeze..
Old 10-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #38
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
What kind of camera equipment are you using? These photos are over the top!
I got an entry level DSLR that I decided best to leave on auto after a few days It's fun to play with the RAW image files after but sometimes I don't know if I make them better or worse.

NIKON D3200
AF-S DX VR Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
Circular Polarizer
ISO 400
Focal Length 55mm
Aperture f/10
Exposure Time 1/250

squawk77 screwed with this post 01-14-2014 at 11:17 AM
Old 10-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #39
krucymucy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
I think my next trip I want to spend more time in Bavaria, Swiss/Austrian alps and Triglav in Slovenia, up to Slovakia and back through Poland. After the deep freeze..
Well, Triglav is the highest mountain in Slovenia and the only way to the top is on foot. Highest alpine pass is Vrsic at 1611m altitude and it is located right by Mangart road. We have some nice roads though, but I still prefer Italian alps.
krucymucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #40
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Quote:
Highest alpine pass is Vrsic at 1611m altitude and it is located right by Mangart road.
I did ride that one but it was raining. The 20-30 hairpin turns with cobblestones was nuts, I've never seen that before
Old 10-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #41
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

I don’t intend to tell my life story here but it explains some of the anticipation at this point. While I knew really nothing about Sarajevo, it's one of those places I always heard about. I was born during the '84 Olympics and I was only going through elementary school while it was under siege for years. I was grateful for my tranquil country lifestyle, but I was also intrigued by the “peacekeeping” effort being portrayed and a chance to see such a faraway land. I trained on military computers and radios during high school summers and weekends with the idea of going to Bosnia when I was 18. Only because of an offer I could not refuse, I did 4 years of mind-numbing university instead. It's just kind of surreal that now I can just waltz into Sarajevo on my own, so far from home.

squawk77 screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 02:36 PM
Old 10-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #42
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Sarajevo

I woke up to the sun in a hotel bed. The sun!! I could feel this would be a big day. I went downstairs for a latte with the old man and another game of charades. Then I was off to Sarajevo. 15-30 minutes and I arrive from the side of the tower. I set my GPS to find it, and start to climb the steepest city streets I've ever seen. I can’t imagine they drive these roads in the winter, but there were houses everywhere. I think these streets were like 30-40% grade, and narrow with obstacles and winding too I was leaning as far forward as I could and thankful for the 2 cylinder torque on the long slow accent. I clearly didn't take the main route up and was now in some kind of semi-vertical maze. I made a wrong turn and stumbled on a massive cemetery. Now I didn't come here deliberately to photograph cemeteries, but the size and location just blew me away.

I wind my way up a few hairpins with a view of the city to get to the communication tower. I snap a few pics while a dog investigates the bike, and head back down. There's lot of other things I want to see today.

I stop on the way down to get this picture of the tower from a steep street. Foot firmly on the rear brake, I pull the camera out of the tank bag and snap this one from a 40% incline

I get into the city and I’m blown away again by the street cars. These are the oldest street cars I've ever seen in operation. I wanted to get a photo but there was traffic (photo borrowed from the web)

Maybe the only thing I knew about Sarajevo is that I would see bullet holes. I didn't expect to see huge apartment buildings riddled with 50 cal or AAA fire though. Blown away again.

I snapped a picture from the other side en route to see the Olympic venues.

squawk77 screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 03:19 AM
Old 10-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #43
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Bobsleigh

It's a nice twisty ride up to the bobsleigh track. There's a scenic narrow route along the track itself that continues along the hill with secluded views of the city. It comes to a large abandoned building at the top with another view. As I climb up and down the track that winds through the thick steep forest, I have to wonder how much money was wasted on this massive structure. I worked in Vancouver during 2010 and understand the economics are complex, but a bobsled track in the forest is not nearly as useful to society as a pool etc etc. An Olympic stadium can be used for everything from sports to emergency shelter. I read the last turn of this bobsleigh track was used as a defensive perch for snipers.

Holes drilled apparently for snipers

squawk77 screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 12:13 PM
Old 10-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #44
Spetz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Nice pics! I spent a fewmonths going back and forth between BiH and Croatia years back. You pics brings back alot of memories.

Enjoy!
Spetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #45
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetz View Post
Nice pics! I spent a fewmonths going back and forth between BiH and Croatia years back. You pics brings back alot of memories.
Glad you liked them!