ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
skandero OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Pissed Yet another oil pressure issue on my ADV950(

Hi there, can You help me with the issue:
Yesterday I've got a crack in the rubber tube, which is between the oil tank ball valve and the engine. The oil pressure light start flickering, the tensioners started to rattle. Ok, today I've replaced the tube with a new one, and all was good, until the bike warmed up...
When the tempeature was 3 bars, there were no issues. When I rode at about 5-6 miles, the lamp started flickering. Shit. I've checked possible leaks, nothing. But there were also no strange sounds from the engine, no tensioner noises... And after I went at about 3 miles more, the lamp goes completely on, until I rev up to 4-5k RPM. I cooled the bike down - and all become ok. Until it warmed up

So, what can it be? The bike has 64k miles at the oddometer. No rattles or noises from the engine. Worked great until I have replaced the oil hose...

p.s. Oil level is OK, no coolant in the oil, cooling is ok.

skandero screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 06:58 AM
skandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
nomad guy
A legal alien

Oddometer: 813
It might be a good time to replace the oil pressure regulator.

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
skandero OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Okay, but the engine runs without any noises... And, if I understand correctly, the low pressure will result in knocking tensioner noises, first of all. Or I'm wrong?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Failing water pump with water in oil will swell oil filter and restrict oil flow/pressure.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Check the simple (and cheap) things first!

That oil hose is near the oil pressure sensor - maybe it got knocked, and has a bad connection. Or maybe just coincidentally it's decided to give up.

If you have a solid red warning light but no camchain noise, my money is on an electrical / sensor fault.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
skandero OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_mouse View Post
If you have a solid red warning light but no camchain noise, my money is on an electrical / sensor fault.
Huh, no noises at all, smooth running. But: when the bike is "warm" (just a few miles ride), the light begins flickering. More miles, the bike become "hot" - flickering frequency increases... And if I stuck in traffic jam, the fan is on - yeah, solid light. But still no noises!!

I think, that's not a good idea to ride with this problem.

I don't know what to think and what to try first (I need to order parts from UE). Our shitty local dealers does not have even brake pads sometimes...
And one more time: coolant is not contaminated with oil. Checked the filter just an hour ago - clean. Not wavy.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 431
Did you change your engine oil grade when you re-filled? Or is it the same oil? How come the pipe split in the first place? Is something inside collapsed? Did you suck in mud when it was split?
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
nomad guy
A legal alien

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by skandero View Post
Okay, but the engine runs without any noises... And, if I understand correctly, the low pressure will result in knocking tensioner noises, first of all. Or I'm wrong?

You are right. I misread your post and missed the NO noise

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
skandero OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICERIDER View Post
Did you change your engine oil grade when you re-filled? Or is it the same oil? How come the pipe split in the first place? Is something inside collapsed? Did you suck in mud when it was split?
No, oil grade is the same. And the same manufacturer.
The pipe was clean, when I removed it. The crack was right under the upper clamp, almost exactly covered with it. I saw the pipe covered with oil, checked and voila...
That's strange. When the pipe was damaged, the pressure was lower, than now even on the cold engine (I think)... Now the line is OK, but the lamp shows, that the pressure is not good. And on very hot engine I get the solid lamp and no noises!!!! How to explain this, I wonder?
Old 09-17-2013, 06:06 AM   #10
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 431
OK, with the crack I expect the oil pump was sucking in air through the crack and circulating air/oil through the engine. Could it be an air bubble acting on the pressure switch? Hotter air=less density and pressure reading? Or would the pressure regulator cater for this anyway? - Don't know.

Or did sucking air/dirt damage the pump? Maybe now it's not able to reach pressure. (unlikely as residual oil would probably keep it lubricated).

Dirt sucked through the crack and jammed the pressure regulator open?

Or just needing a new pressure switch? (check connections though I'm sure you already have)

I guess the sure way of knowing is to attach a pressure guage to test pressure, or start tearing apart and inspecting.

Good luck and keep us posted.
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
No, it's not air in the system..

Check oil level, pull outer clutch cover and check for milkshake.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,653
At least you have established it is temperature related, like the others say start with the cheaper stuff.

Check electrical connections and make sure they are tight as a bad earth will give you the exact symptoms.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
skandero OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, friends!
Will start from the easiest things. Now I'm 100% sure that the problem is temperature related.
So, the plan is:
1. Mount the pressure gauge, as described at ktm950info, as permanent oil control solution (I'm almost ready to deploy it - need inch tap for the hole in the plug).
2. If the pressure is OK, start with the sensor.
3. ...and so on)))

There one more idea, it's not very crazy - fake oil. Sometimes we (in Mother Russia) got some shit, if we take the oil in smal shops((( Will try to replace with the oil from our local Orange dealer.

I will report the progress here, when I get necessary parts and tools.
Time for wrenching!
Old 09-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
adrenalin-junkie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
I am digging into mine tonight

I had posted this problem a few weeks ago when I was in Moab . My bike was overdue by about 2000 miles for an oil change . So when I got home and made time to do my oil change . I put in all the new filters and screens . The whole she-bang .

So now when I start her up . The chains are a bit noisy for a split second then goes quiet . But the oil light goes dimmer . So I just left the bike and ordered a new oil pressure switch . So when I get off work tonight . I am going to see if I can change out the oil pressure switch . From what I can see is that the wire going to the sensor is A-OK , hunky dory .

So hopefully that resolves the issue . I don't have a lot of time working on my bike , because I look after my 16 month old girl in the mornings before work . It was quite an episode changing my oil with a 16 month old chick handing you wrenches all the time .
adrenalin-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #15
skandero OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's time to check oil pressure now! Will report today. Stay in touch)