Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #31
regomodo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
This is the worst spot but there are instances of the wavyness and unordered spacing of the pleats all round.

regomodo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #32
190e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
That's what I meant. The pleats will lose some strength when they are no longer dead straight. Once they fold over it's easier for the oil pressure to crush the filter.

When I was putting too much compression on the $2000 O ring my filters would come out like that or maybe a bit worse.

190e screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 01:43 PM
190e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #33
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by 190e View Post
That's what I meant. The pleats will lose some strength when they are no longer dead straight. Once they fold over it's easier for the oil pressure to crush the filter.

When I was putting too much compression on the $2000 O ring my filters would come out like that or maybe a bit worse.

mmm...My gut tells me micro tears in the paper are a bigger factor than simple loss of geometry. Same difference in the end.

I would keep an eye out for hardened end gaskets. They won't compress as much and put more stress on the filter. On a non-cooler this would be on each end of the filter, on a cooler setup one on the filter and the big black one in the cover.

Also always inspect the pressure relief (as in visual + poke it with a rod).
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #34
190e
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post

Also always inspect the pressure relief (as in visual + poke it with a rod).
That's become part of the filter change ritual since I had the crushed filter. I poke it with a length of thin dowel.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #35
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern View Post
The reason that some folks shy away from synthetic is that on older engines seals tend to leak, but if you don't have any problems run what you want as long as the oil is fit for air cooled engines.

Since this is only your 2nd oil change I'd change out the filter just to have a good look at it.
That's what happened to me.....put semi synthetic oil in my R75/5 and all the minor oil "weeps" became major oil "leaks" in less than 100 miles.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #36
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
This is an OBSERVATION only.

I have been trying to get the oil pump cover on my G/S to seal for a few years now (leaves a couple drops on the ground). Every time I go in for a spline lube, clutch change, etc. I change the "O" ring, last couple times I have used Honda bond around the periphery of the cover. That would hold for about 2 to 3 thousand miles. I had been using Valvoline 20-50. And have used Mobile 1 synthetic, or whatever I could get. On long trips where I'm going to be on the road for weeks in high temps and doing 12hr days, I will put synthetic in it.

Now the point. Last summer I put AmsOil in as it was all the local Napa had. The oil leak stopped. Switched back to Valvoline, leak returned. Back to Amsoil, it stopped. So I am wondering if AmsOil has an ingredient that swells seals. Has any one else experienced this with oil brands? I have read that some oils use seal "conditioners". Some don't, and from what I've dug up Amsoil is one that doesn't?

Any way. Going to try a new cover this year. Still not convinced it's not just an anomaly, machines just don't work that way.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #37
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre170 View Post

On a slightly related note....on my last few rides, I've notices a little bit of oil oozin from around my dipstick. I don't have an o-ring on my dipstick, but am pretty sure my engin isn't supposed to have one ('78 100/7). My oil level looks just fine. Not much oil is oozing out, just enough that after a half hour of riding,
There is a nice thin coating of oil down the side. Then a drop or two when I stop. Anyone ever seen this problem? I'm not worries about oil loss as it is such a minimal amount....just kinda messy.

My '77 did he same. Tried a large o-ring, worse.

Got a new metal gasket-same deal.

As a shotgun approach I replaced disc breather w/ reed type-no more leak at dipstick.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #38
Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
My '77 did he same. Tried a large o-ring, worse.

Got a new metal gasket-same deal.

As a shotgun approach I replaced disc breather w/ reed type-no more leak at dipstick.
Interesting. I just got a rubber gasket and am going to give that a try.....hopefully it doesn't take breather replacement to fix my issue.

(Thanks for the heads up on a possible solution for that annoying little issue)
Sabre170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #39
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,007
An o ring seems totally wrong for sealing the dipstick hole. But that is what has come to me with complete engine gasket kits.
It needs a flat rubber washer.
It doesn't make any sense not to have a seal at the dipstick.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #40
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post
This is an OBSERVATION only.

I have been trying to get the oil pump cover on my G/S to seal for a few years now (leaves a couple drops on the ground). Every time I go in for a spline lube, clutch change, etc. I change the "O" ring, last couple times I have used Honda bond around the periphery of the cover. That would hold for about 2 to 3 thousand miles. I had been using Valvoline 20-50. And have used Mobile 1 synthetic, or whatever I could get. On long trips where I'm going to be on the road for weeks in high temps and doing 12hr days, I will put synthetic in it.

Now the point. Last summer I put AmsOil in as it was all the local Napa had. The oil leak stopped. Switched back to Valvoline, leak returned. Back to Amsoil, it stopped. So I am wondering if AmsOil has an ingredient that swells seals. Has any one else experienced this with oil brands? I have read that some oils use seal "conditioners". Some don't, and from what I've dug up Amsoil is one that doesn't?

Any way. Going to try a new cover this year. Still not convinced it's not just an anomaly, machines just don't work that way.
Check cover for flatness.

Motor oils advertised as "high mileage" often have seal conditioners.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #41
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Batoutoflahonda, what oil pump cover do you have, bolt head or screw? I had a bolt head type cover with a minute crack at the base of one of the bolt hole bores. It gave me a leak that had me change the rms, have the guide ring machined, new o rings on the cover and guide ring, only to find the leak continued. Found the leak in the end by running the motor without tranny and clutch gear.
Couldn't do it with a flywheel bike tho', but then this crack could not develop on a screw type cover.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #42
190e
Gnarly Adventurer

I've had an O ring on a metal handled dpstick for the last 7 years and it has worked fine with no leaks. Can't see how an O ring could fail to seal if it's a good fit and appropriately tightend i.e. not so much that it distorts out of position but enough to take up any uneveness in the mating surfaces.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #43
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
An o ring seems totally wrong for sealing the dipstick hole. But that is what has come to me with complete engine gasket kits.
It needs a flat rubber washer.
It doesn't make any sense not to have a seal at the dipstick.
I use super fat o-rings from the hardware store. Been doing it forever. Not only is it a superior seal to the metal washer (/5) or any type of flat washer, but you can index the dipstick (have we been here before?)

Garden hoses use a flat washer because there is a sharp metal edge to bite into it. Between two flat surfaces you put the edge on the washer; an X or O ring. They are not used on drain plugs because by the time you dighten the plug enough so it doesn't fall out, the o-ring had become extruded and no longer seals. But it will work fine if you provide a mechanism to prevent the plug from turning. The dipstick is only and tight and ain't goin' nowhere no matter how loose.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #44
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190e View Post
Can't see how an O ring could fail to seal if it's a good fit and appropriately tightend
It does come down to correct size o ring I guess...
One of those things I always forget to fix because I can make it not weep with the o ring if I tighten it just so.
The two flats on the threaded section of the dipstick don't help the o ring in my case.

What are those flats on the dipstick thread for anyway??
Old 09-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #45
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
What are those flats on the dipstick thread for anyway??
The o ring.

Go get a fat one. I mean really fat. Two airline seats fat.