ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,569
Tell me about Rock Hill/Lake Wiley SC area

Friends moved to Lake Wiley a few years ago and continually tell us how much they love it there. Inexpensive to live, housing is good, schools are good, etc. I imagine it's hot as hell some of the time, but maybe not?

What's the work prospects look like for IT people/Teachers and the like?

I hear there are bugs and snakes that will kill you and eat you there....ain't nobody got time for that....

Good riding areas for street and dirt?

- Otto von Bismarck

<><

biggziff screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 10:19 AM
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Lake Wylie and the Rock Hill Area are nice. Lower taxes than NC and the Fort Mill SC school system pretty good. You can get to the Mountains from Rock Hill in about 2hrs. Boone NC area. SC has some mountains all part of the Appalachian chain that are a little closer. Nice winters and Hot and muggy summers. You can be at the coast of SC in 2:30 minutes to 3 hours depending on time of day and which area you are going. It does not take long to be in the country for back road riding. You can find dirt roads to ride.
Can't help you out on jobs because I just don't know. Charlotte housing market has started to recover according to news reports. A lot of people work in Charlotte area then commute back to SC. Gas is about .20 a gallon cheaper in SC because of NC tax rate.
I have been told but do not know this for a fact but if a SC student maintains a certain GPA during High School and they attend a SC college then some of the tuition is offset because of the Lottery. I DO NOT KNOW THIS FOR A FACT SO IF I AM WRONG NO GRIEF PLEASE.
Hope this helps.
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Our relatives that live there confirmed the college stipend thing. Fantastic, but our kids are beyond that (10th and 11th grade)

So any actual dirt/trail riding there? Lots or very little? Free or for pay?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallowskiff View Post
Lake Wylie and the Rock Hill Area are nice. Lower taxes than NC and the Fort Mill SC school system pretty good. You can get to the Mountains from Rock Hill in about 2hrs. Boone NC area. SC has some mountains all part of the Appalachian chain that are a little closer. Nice winters and Hot and muggy summers. You can be at the coast of SC in 2:30 minutes to 3 hours depending on time of day and which area you are going. It does not take long to be in the country for back road riding. You can find dirt roads to ride.
Can't help you out on jobs because I just don't know. Charlotte housing market has started to recover according to news reports. A lot of people work in Charlotte area then commute back to SC. Gas is about .20 a gallon cheaper in SC because of NC tax rate.
I have been told but do not know this for a fact but if a SC student maintains a certain GPA during High School and they attend a SC college then some of the tuition is offset because of the Lottery. I DO NOT KNOW THIS FOR A FACT SO IF I AM WRONG NO GRIEF PLEASE.
Hope this helps.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 09-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
What kind of bike?

If you want just dirt roads you have to hunt them down.

Trail riding motorcross??
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallowskiff View Post
What kind of bike?

If you want just dirt roads you have to hunt them down.

Trail riding motorcross??
Dual sport. Husky TE510

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 09-22-2013, 03:29 AM   #6
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
I moved to the Sandhills of SC about 7 yrs ago from Buffalo. Still waiting for it to cool off. I never put up my bikes, just get an electric jacket and ride year round! You'll feel right at home, no one is from the area, we're all transplants from NY (expect plenty of good natured 'Damn Yankee' jokes)
I've worked in Ft Mill. Nice area, can be VERY congested. I just consider Rock Hill and Ft Mill to be suburbs of Charlotte, albeit with cheaper gas.

I can't offer any advice on jobs, but if you have a bit of ambition and drive, a job inn either IT or Teaching should be easy to find. Lots of banking and tech companies, and LOTS of schools. I'm pretty sure a NY teaching cert is welcome in SC.

Property taxes on my house is about 25% of what I paid in Lockport, NY. But, I have to pay property tax on my vehicles now, but it is still much much cheaper than NY.
My brother in law moved down, he's in Mooresville, NC. My MIL and FIL also moved down. My Parents just closed on a house in Monroe, NC. All of them said that they should have moved years ago.

Lots of great riding towards Columbia and Greenville. Sandblast Rally in my neck the woods in the Spring. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...829650&page=24
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #7
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Lake Wylie

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Friends moved to Lake Wiley a few years ago and continually tell us how much they love it there. Inexpensive to live, housing is good, schools are good, etc. I imagine it's hot as hell some of the time, but maybe not?

What's the work prospects look like for IT people/Teachers and the like?

I hear there are bugs and snakes that will kill you and eat you there....ain't nobody got time for that....

Good riding areas for street and dirt?

Biggziff-
Well here is my take.
I am one of the few that are born and raised in the area, so naturally I love it. It is hot, but summer is hot everywhere. There are snakes and mosquitos just about every as well so just put on some repellent, build a fire, and drink some moonshine and you'll never even notice any of it anyway!
The schools are very good compared to other districts in the region, including Charlotte.
Not in the IT field but can't imagine you would have a problem, or with a teaching job.
As far as the riding goes, you won't be disappointed, I dual sport to work everyday, about 50/50 over the 8 miles to get me there. I can ride all day long going from trail to trail, not a problem. There are also several pay places to ride if you like, but I don't see a reason if your dual sporting. Then there are the mountains, whether DS riding or street, your possibilities are ENDLESS! You will not be disappointed.
Search up "banjos picture thread" in the day tripping section and you'll see what I mean.
So to finish up I will say this, everyone who moves here complains about something, but when I tell them "to move the hell out then", not one of them does, there is a reason why people move south but not north.
Hope to ride with you soon, and if your planning on coming down this way let me know, be more than happy to help.
BOIKE
Old 09-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Thanks for the replies and the offers to ride. We're processing what this might look like for us which means I'm actively looking at real estate and jobs and my wife is blissfully ignorant.

I'm tired of the repressive state of NY and winter...ugh...winter...time for a change.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 09-25-2013, 02:58 AM   #9
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 688
carolina area

I would't move here if I were you. These dudes here take their bik'in way too seriously. they all have two or or three bikes and ride almost every day. crooked ass mountian roads, rough ass trails, ain't no tellin where you will end up when you ride with these guy's. WARNING !! If you can't run with the big dogs, y'a got to stay on the porch or move up north. you have been warned. here's a few sample shots for you. all pictures were taken within a 2 hour ride of the area.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #10
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Thanks, Augie...We're going to be in Black Mountain for Thanksgiving to visit my sister. I'm going to snoop around a little while I'm there.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><