Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Italy, England

Hi guys!

I have done a couple of tours on motorcycle. I have been twice in Norway. I have also been driving a lot in Germany and also in Austria. Next year I am thinking of going to Italy or UK?

I would be grateful if you guys could give some advice and tipp Italy. Is it safe to drive in every part om Italy? Which cities and placed would you recomend me to visit?

I am planning to go either two week's to UK or two week's om Italy.

Regards,

Iranian
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
Teabar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Hi Iranian,
Being English and not long since having visited the Italian Alps I would definitely recommend Italy. Head for the Dolomites and the Lake regions (I went to Garda - very nice) and you can't go wrong - some stunning scenery and friendly people.

England is a nice country to visit but there's not the amount or quality of great roads you would find in Italy. If you do decide on England there are 3 regions that are special in my opinion - the New Forest in Hampshires , the Cotswolds, between Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire and the Lake District in Cumbria. Whatever you choose have a great ride.
Teabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
+1 on the Dolomites - absolutely jaw-dropping roads and scenery.

If you want to visit cities, ditch the bike take the train. The traffic is horrible, and life is too short for that aggravation.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks, I think I will go first to Italy but most certainly I will visit UK at a later stage. I have seen lot's of pictures from UK there I could see castles and small curvy road's up to the castle. I just don't know from which part of uk it was. Any Ideas where it could be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teabar View Post
Hi Iranian,
Being English and not long since having visited the Italian Alps I would definitely recommend Italy. Head for the Dolomites and the Lake regions (I went to Garda - very nice) and you can't go wrong - some stunning scenery and friendly people.

England is a nice country to visit but there's not the amount or quality of great roads you would find in Italy. If you do decide on England there are 3 regions that are special in my opinion - the New Forest in Hampshires , the Cotswolds, between Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire and the Lake District in Cumbria. Whatever you choose have a great ride.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
Teabar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranian View Post
I have seen lot's of pictures from UK there I could see castles and small curvy road's up to the castle. I just don't know from which part of uk it was. Any Ideas where it could be?
All over really. Northumberland (due east of Cumbria) has quite a lot of castles. Check out Bamburgh castle on Google Images. It's amazing, right on the beach. You can just imagine being on the ramparts and watching the approaching Vikings. You've also got Lindisfarne and Holy Island nearby plus Warkworth and Alnwick castles - Alnwick's (pronounced Anick) a nice little town. An added bonus would be that you would be able to pop down to Newcastle and watch the best team in the world .

Northumberland is the county on the northern bank of the river Tyne and Durham is the county on the southern bank. 20 minutes south of the river is Durham city (very small city) and it too has a really famous castle.

If you visited Northumberland you're only a stone's throw from Edinburgh and that's a really unique town in the UK. I'd definitely recommend a full day there just walking around the streets and up to the castle.

Scotland has loads of castles as well, as does Wales. Truth is you're never too far from a castle in the UK but my favourite is Northumberland, not just because I grew up there
Teabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

Many thanks Teabar!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #7
ttr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
italy

Hello Iranian,

I would suggest the Dolomiti as well also if driving my bike to england will be hopefully one of my next trips. To give you an idea have a look at my blog, some articles are in english (just clik on "english" under the column "categorie"). I use to drive in central/southern Italy

http://francescomartini2010.wordpress.com/

Ciao
Old 09-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

Hallo TTR.

No offense, but is it safe to rider every where in Italy? Some people has said to me that south Italy is not safe place to ride? Is that thruth or false?

Regards,

Iranian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttr View Post
Hello Iranian,

I would suggest the Dolomiti as well also if driving my bike to england will be hopefully one of my next trips. To give you an idea have a look at my blog, some articles are in english (just clik on "english" under the column "categorie"). I use to drive in central/southern Italy

http://francescomartini2010.wordpress.com/

Ciao
Old 09-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
ttr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Hi Iranian,

to drive in Southern Italy is actually more dangerous than drive in the North. What I mean is just that you need to be much more careful while driving, especially in bigger towns.

Anyway don't be worried, for your first time in Italy (if the first is) the Dolomiti district will be very satisfying!!

And for your next trips.... I think will be worth it!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916025
Old 09-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #10
andydj31
In Techno we trust...

Oddometer: 147
If you need a help for a Dolomiti tour you can contact me.... I'll happy to ride with you on our mountains!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
TheNorthernMonkey
Clueless n00b

Oddometer: 218
If you head over to Northumberland, give me a shout. I'm sure I can take a couple of days off work for a tour
TheNorthernMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote