User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
fotobo OP
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,588
Okies do Utah (UTBDR)

I really hadn't planned to do a ride report on this ride, but it turned out to be such an epic ride that I feel compelled to share it.

My two regular riding buddies, Dickosaurus, Rufus and I started planning this ride several months ago. We did the Trans am trail and the Continental divide ride together. This ride several of our buddies wanted to go with us. So this time we ended with seven riders. I had never ridden with that many riders for that long a distance so I was a little apprehensive but I knew that they were all good riders and really good guys.

On our two previous rides, we had been fortunate enough to have a chase driver. My brother in law Clifford is retired and had been our chase driver previously. He offered to do it again, so how could we refuse. I know, I know, real adventure riders don't trailer their bikes but I really like coming in after a long day on the trail and being met with the chase truck and a cold Corona and a hot shower.

Obviously we all couldn't fit in my truck, even though it is a mega cab and very roomy so two of the other riders, whom are brothers, asked their brother who is also retired to drive another truck and trailer. So we had four in their truck and five in our truck for the 1200 mile trip from Okla to the Northern border of Utah.

The UTBDR is actually set up to run from south to north but we decided to go from North to South. I'm not sure why, maybe just because we are a little weird.

The riders:

Dwain-500 KTM EXC
Dickosaurus-450WR
Me (FotoBo)-250WRR
Wayne-525 KTM EXC
Don-450 Honda
Rufus-XR650L
Billy 525 KTM EXC
Old 09-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
fotobo OP
KTM rider

We had a couple of problems with tires and brakes on the way out but one of the guys (Don) is an ace mechanic so we were able to make repairs and get on the way.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 634
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,986
I had a great time. I am kicking myself because I didn't take 1 single pictures.

We spent 4 days riding the trail. And 1 day We got rained out trying to get from Green River to Moab. We took the highway to Moab and then did poison spider mesa, south to north.

I think that North to South is the way to go on the UBDR because the ride got better every day. Our last day was short, only about 100 miles and we finished it by riding through Monument Valley, even though the brochure said "no motorcycles ".
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
fotobo OP
KTM rider

As I mentioned earlier we started on the North which is Garden City. Bear lake is right next to Garden City.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
fotobo OP
KTM rider

We stayed at the KOA campground in Garden City the first night. Dickosaurus, Don and Wayne.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 660
The average age of the riders was 57. When you figure that the youngest, (Billy), is 32, that tells you something about the relative antiquity of the remaining 6. Can you say 'Geezer Ride"? Never-the-less, there was little moaning or griping and not a whole lot of ibuprofen popped.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,695
Woo hoo!

I'm in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
We took the highway to Moab and then did poison spider mesa, south to north.
We had Poison Spider on our tracks, but ran out of time.
Can't wait to see what we missed!

Hi dickosaurus!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Yo' Kelly, Just caught up on OsoLoco after returning from our trip- cool ride, cool report.
It was way too muddy to ride the desert that day from Green River to Moab so we did Poison Spider and Golden Spike. Poison Spider is a real hoot and worth whatever trouble it takes to get to the top for the view. Finishing up on Golden Spike makes a for a long and rewarding, if somewhat punishing day. And we weren't piloting los autocoches de escuela.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
fotobo OP
KTM rider

We (Dickosaurus, Rufus and myself) had ridden poison spider before but ran out of time and could not do Gold spike. Gold spike turned out to be more difficult than poison spider. This next pic is of a crossing on a gold spike. Dickosaurus was the only one that crossed here the rest of us crossed at a different spot. several of us had trouble here and had to help each other across.

He crossed from right to left by bouncing over the rock and up the left side. I was impressed.

fotobo screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 03:30 PM
fotobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
fotobo OP
KTM rider

Actually we kinda got ahead of ourselves. That was day three. Gotta do day one and two first. Day one was the easiest day. At the end of the day, I was thinking I should have ridden my KLR. That thought disappeared after that.

Day one, which would be the last day if you rode it the way it was designed, had the most pavement of any other days. We rode 212 miles that day. From Garden City to Heber City. Even though it was easy it was still great scenery.

At the motel that night.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Eakins- Thanks for the outstanding trail layout and the good map to go with it. You guys did a killer good job.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
fotobo OP
KTM rider

Our chase crew. Carl on the left, Clifford in the center. Billy on the right was riding. He is the young dude of the bunch. Don't know what he is doing hanging around a bunch of old guys.

Dick just finishing up a real muddy section on day two.

fotobo screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 03:32 PM
fotobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #15
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotobo View Post
Dick just finishing up a real muddy section on day two.

It doesn't show up in the pic, but it is raining on us here. This is the end of a really neat canyon,-- strawberry something, river, canyon, road, I don't remember--Just as we started an uphill climb it started raining. It was maybe a mile, probably less, uphill, but it took us a while to get there. The mud was only about an inch deep but is was slick as snot. We went down the other side of the mountain and on to soldier summit for gas.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote