Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #16
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 673
Not long after coming out of this muddy uphill, I stopped to see if Wayne needed help and we saw a spike bull moose looking us over. By the time I got the camera out he had sauntered off into the brush. And it's a durn shame. I have so many photos of antelope, deer, and elk butts that a moose butt would have been quite a welcome addition. Big too.

dickosaurus screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 05:16 PM
dickosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
fotobo OP
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,587
Breakfast at Subway. I believe this was at Garden City.

Now that I think about it, I know this was the first day because the bikes are not dirty yet.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #18
fotobo OP
KTM rider

Dick and Billy.

Day two was our longest day and I believe it rained all day.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
fotobo OP
KTM rider

This was in a parking lot at a restaurant in Green River on the morning of our third day. As we went into the restaurant we saw a police officer talking to a couple by the door. When we left, one of the guys got to talking to the policeman and found out that, that couple had lost their car in a flood on one of the back roads. This was definitely a bad sign.

We had been hearing since the day before that all the back roads were flooded and impassable. We had resigned ourselves to just load up the bikes and haul them to Moab. But then Billy suggested that we just ride on the highway to Moab. We decided to do that. We actually did get off the highway for a short period but we found out out real quick that the roads were impassable and impossible unless you had a boat.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

We met these folks on the trail on day two I believe. They were riding a combination of Dockingpilots loops. Mighty fine bunch of guys(4 of them I believe) ranging in age from 39 to 72 making them about as crusty and diverse agewise as our group. Would like to have spent more time with them but they were headed north and we were headed south. Their youngest fellow was riding a Katoom twin and we discussed the Osoloco taco tour for awhile before parting. I sure hope they do a ride report.

dickosaurus screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 08:24 PM
Old 09-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #21
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,037
This RR ( like us) is a little disorganized. As Jerry (fotobo) said, none of had planned to do a RR. But since he started one I will contribute what I remember.

Day 1. Some people plan for months on these rides. We get up in the morning, look at a map and decide how far we feel like going. Not the best way to do things, but it works for us.
We left Garden City and sent the trucks to Kamas. They couldn't find rooms there but found some in Heber City.
Starting from the North, as we did, you get about 50 miles of dirt roads through some nice forested areas. I wouldn't say boring, but uneventful. Nice but nothing we stopped to take pictures of. After that is about 60 or so miles of pavement. Same thing, nice ride but uneventful. An easy way to start the week.

Day 2. After yesterdays easy ride we wanted a little more so we sent the trucks to Green River. We didn't want to backtrack so Dwain found us a super nice shortcut back to the trail from Heber City. We missed about 10 or 15 miles of the trail. We intersected the trail high up in the mountains. It was misty and COLD. There was a few miles of HWY before we hit the aforementioned strawberry canyon. We gassed up at Soldier summit and then made it to Wellington for more gas and a late lunch. From Wellington you head right out into the desert for miles and miles of smooth wide open riding. This turned into a really neat sandy 2 track for 20 or 30 miles into Green River. There was 7 of us in our group and we worried about dust. But with the rain we had our riding conditions were just about PERFECT. 70 / 80 degrees, slightly overcast with moist ground. There were a few little mudholes, but nothing that stopped us. In Green River we washed the bikes ate a cheesburger and drank some beer. EXCELLENT day. It was raining when we went to bed and didn't quit until a little before daylight.

The beautiful sunrise overcame the skankiness of our motel.

rufus screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 07:36 PM
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #22
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Dwain crossing the West Fork of the Bear River on Day one. That would be the day we had little rain and a lot of pavement.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #23
rufus

Day 3. The weather report called for more rain and flash floods in the whole area. We got an excellent breakfast at the truckstop in Green River. We visited with another group of riders there. After breakfast we headed for dirt. We didn't have high expectations but tried it anyway. We only made it about 1/2 mile on dirt before a wide, deep, fast flowing water crossing sent us down the HWY to Moab. Everywhere we looked it was muddy and wet. We had planned on doing the white rim trail so we headed down the pavement beside the river towards the south end of the white rim trail. We saw the turnoff to Poison Spider trail and since most of our group had never been there went up there to see if it was rideable. It was dry up there. We rode Poison Spider and Golden Spike all the way to the north end. Not a long ride in distance, --10 - 15 miles I would guess--but most of it is 1st and 2nd gear stuff. There is a 7 or 8 ft tall near vertical climb at the end. We stopped to check it out,it LOOKED tough but turned out to be no big deal. We all went right up it. Neat ride that wore us all out. We finished the day in the hot tub at the super 8.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #24
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

The beautiful thing about the UTBDR for me was transitioning from alpine settings to the desert floor and back up and vice versa. On our second day out, we went from high, relatively dense forest forest(with rain) down to the desert with some deep sand(with rain) and a whole lot of the in between as in the above photo.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #25
rufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickosaurus View Post

This is a pullout in along strawberry river/canyon. A few miles later is when we hit the slick slimey climb out of the canyon.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #26
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

And here we are down in the desert with more rain threatening and Rufus scratching his head wondering what to do with his covey of rowdy quail. At this point, we're not on the final approach to Green River from the north but close to it. The San Rafael Swell was getting prominent to our right not long after this. The rest of the way into Green River was fast and fun.

dickosaurus screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 07:51 PM
Old 09-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #27
WindDance
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Cool ride report...what a bunch of studs!!!
WindDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #28
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Quote:
The beautiful sunrise overcame the skankiness of our motel.

Amen, Rufus. Well put.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #29
Spokes - Missouri
TR650 Strada, WR450

Oddometer: 33
Good report guys. Now, get ready for the national.
Spokes - Missouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #30
fotobo OP
KTM rider

The Shack Bros at the end o of Poison Spider, overlooking Moab. Wayne on the left and Don on the right. Wayne and Don both compete in trials and I believe it helped them a lot in this section. This was probably nothing for a good trials rider but for me it was pretty difficult.