Old 09-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #46
fotobo OP
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,588
Old 09-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #47
fotobo OP
KTM rider

Just after we finished Golden Spike and headed back to Moab.

Dickosaurus is off to some music hoedown and soiree for the weekend, so I am going to slow down on the ride report until he can return and add some colorful commentary and pics.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #48
fotobo OP
KTM rider

Day three was a short day but more challenging than our longest day.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #49
zekester63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotobo View Post
My two regular riding buddies, Dickosaurus, Rufus and I started planning this ride several months ago. We did the Trans am trail and the Continental divide ride together. This ride several of our buddies wanted to go with us.
Hey fotobo, thanks for "taking us along" with your RR. Looks like you all had an awesome time!

Since you guys have done the TAT, CDR and now UTBDR I was wondering what you'd recommend for a few guys with about a week to ride. Next year Okraider81, another buddy in NM and I have been thinking to do a portion of the TAT (maybe from NM to UT, or whatever time allows) but have also considered other options such as CDR, COBDR, Sam's "Shadow of the Rockies" ride, etc. We ride a DRZ, DR and WRR, so we're looking for as little slab time as possible, and are all very comfortable off road. We would probably do a combo of camping amd motels.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #50
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,122
Nice!
Old 09-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #51
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekester63 View Post
Hey fotobo, thanks for "taking us along" with your RR. Looks like you all had an awesome time!

Since you guys have done the TAT, CDR and now UTBDR I was wondering what you'd recommend for a few guys with about a week to ride. Next year Okraider81, another buddy in NM and I have been thinking to do a portion of the TAT (maybe from NM to UT, or whatever time allows) but have also considered other options such as CDR, COBDR, Sam's "Shadow of the Rockies" ride, etc. We ride a DRZ, DR and WRR, so we're looking for as little slab time as possible, and are all very comfortable off road. We would probably do a combo of camping amd motels.

NM to Utah on the TAT is mostly very easy and scenic. 3 day ride. 2 if you hurry. The UBDR south of Moab through lockhart basin is a better dirt ride. Also very very scenic. 1 long day should get you to AZ. Southern Colorado and northern NM on the CD is good.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #52
rufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickosaurus View Post
This is Jerry taking on some step ups on Poison Spider on the WRR with Wayne and Don handy just in case. The Poison Spider and the Golden Spike are a handful in a day. Do-able on the right bike but you'll be tired when it's over. I really don't think I'd ride my GS on it though. I'm sure there are some folks that could/would do it with alacrity, but I'm not one of them. I really wished that I'd had my Sherco for some of this.

Me Dick and Jerry had been here before, Jerry (fotobo) was on his KTM then and rode right up this with no problem. But the wr250r just doesn't have the torque. He had to get a couple of runs at some of the obstacles. Jerry really likes the bike, but wishes it had a bigger motor.

In the first pic about 12" to his left is a 15 ft dropoff. This is about 1/2 mile in on the southern entrance to Poison spider mesa.

rufus screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 10:30 AM
Old 09-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #53
rufus

Day 4

We left Moab and headed into Lockhart basin. We had never been there before. It is a really really god ride through there. It is a rocky jeep trail with lots of up and down, a little bit of shelf road riding and some neat canyons and a few sections of sandy road. With all the rain that had passed through the area the ground was moist with a few small mudholes. Nothing that gave us any trouble. But it was nice to have almost no dust, especially with 7 riders. We had lunch in Monticello and then headed toward Bluff. The last section of dirt before Bluff is Butler wash. It rained the day before, and the road looked like it had been graded the day before that. It was a fast, fun easy way to finish the day. We all got to practice a little flat trackin.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #54
fotobo OP
KTM rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekester63 View Post

I think the UTBDR would be your best choice. It is my personal favorite of the three. I enjoyed the CDR and the TAT too but to me the riding on the UTBDR was more fun. I have not actually ridden the COBDR per se but I have ridden practically all the trails that comprise it. It would be a good choice especially if you have not already ridden these trails. The guys that do these BDR routes put a lot of work into it and really know what they are doing.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #55
fotobo OP
KTM rider

We met some riders before we got to Moab that were going the opposite way. They told us that they had come down some big step downs, South of Moab in Lockhart Basin. We would be going up those. I was a little concerned before I got there. These is a split on this part of the route. This route was labled as expert only. We had ridden Poison Spider and Gold Spike the day before and compared to those, it was a real piece of cake.

I think Lockhart Basin might have been my favorite part of the ride.

Here are some pics from Lockhart Basin.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #56
fotobo OP
KTM rider

Old 09-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #57
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 657
Hey Zeekester- if you have a week go do the UTBDR-COBDR in a loop. Timing would be about perfect for a weeks ride I think. The two just look like they'd blend quite well together. Several riders have done it and there's a few ride reports about it. If I can find them I'll send the link to you, but I have to catch up on this one first.
Let's see, where was I, Oh yeah,
There I was, naked on a rock above timberline, meditating, when ,,,,,,,,,,,

dickosaurus screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 06:14 PM
dickosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #58
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

This is the only photo I took in Lockhart Basin/Hurrah Pass and I can't believe it. It was probably the most scenic section we rode. It was a beautiful fun ride with some technical, but not tough, sections in Lockhart, then up through the Abajos, then down into fun, fast desert. We took the expert section and I would add that on a lighter bike, it's probably not that bad, but if one is riding a monster trailie(which is exactly what the UTBDR was layed out for), then it is truly an 'expert' section. There were an awful lot of times that I was most pleased to not be on my GS loaded with camping gear. I'm no spring chicken anymore and it doesn't take much of picking up a 600 lb bike to make it un-fun.

dickosaurus screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 06:24 PM
Old 09-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #59
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Rufus was spot on about Butler Wash(we were sooooo lucky). Yeah there was sand but it was a little loose for just a few inches, and under that it was tight, fast, and sweet with the occasional mudhole. It was interesting that as some of us ate dinner that evening in Bluff, I commented that some very competent and trusted folks on ADV had said that Butler Wash had deep, deep sand. A local rancher sitting behind me overheard my comment and allowed that except for the extraordinary rains they'd had, we would have indeed found very deep sand in Butler Wash. Yep. And a lot more dust too. It was in Butler wash that I wished that I had got up in front, found some good "coming out of the arroyo on the gas in the bend' sections and took some photos 'cause it was play stuff and I knew that especially Rufus and Billy probably Dwain were on the gas. I don't think anyone had more fun than Billy. He's young, fast, and a good technical rider. Yep, I knew he was having fun up there on that 520.
Mas manana-still unpacking from the weekend.

dickosaurus screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 06:25 PM
Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #60
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,635

HF.

P.s. how did the Zac Speed work out for you, Fotobo?
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote