Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
I went to the KTM dirt demo day last year and talked to someone from KTM about the SE. I don't recall his exact title, but he was directly involved with KTM's marketing and sales. I asked about bringing back the SE or putting out a new version with EFI. He said it wasn't something they would consider for a couple of reasons. The sales of the SE were too low and slow. And people really weren't riding them as they were intended. They were never intended as a long range touring bike, but that's what a lot of people want to turn them into. Most people (because of opportunity or ability?) aren't riding them as a big dirtbike, like they were intended.
That guy pushes a pen and doesn't ride bikes. How often do car manufacturers produce a car people really want to buy in mass....

Its all about marketing, no soul.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #17
SE Steve
Super Noob

Oddometer: 210
The SE came out at the wrong time. The US economy started to tank at the end of 2008. I bought my SE new on the dealer floor I want to say in 2010. It was sold to me as a 2009 but the tag says 2008. There was what a 2 year run of these bikes.
Talked to someone from KTM at the steamboat springs rally he said the 3 biggest markets for the SE were US, Germany, and South Africa.
SE Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #18
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
...Why should KTM give a shit as to how the owners use the bike? If the bike is in demand, sell the people what they want.

That's the issue-- the bike wasn't in (enough) demand. It took, what, 4 years to sell 3,000 bikes. I'm assuming they were all sold, but wouldn't be surprised if brand new ones were around.

"people really weren't riding them as they were intended" sounds like BS disguised as a convenient reason for a marginally successful (but for sure worthy and glad they took the chance) product that shifts the focus from the manufacturer to the customer.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #19
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Steve View Post
The SE came out at the wrong time. The US economy started to tank at the end of 2008. I bought my SE new on the dealer floor I want to say in 2010. ....

Wrong logic -- the SE came out in 2006 (July 2006 in my state) during the boom, and should have enjoyed at least another 12-18 months of favorable economics.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #20
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,241
Since this thread has now turned to speculation...

The Super Enduro may have been created as a lighter version of the Adventure with the intention of being the next Dakar crusher. And KTM may have been intending on promoting the Super Enduro after winning the next Dakar... using the Rally winning press to send it off to sell record numbers. And who knows if Meoni was behind the SE's early evolution with the intention of being it's Dakar test pilot.

But the deaths of Meoni, Sainct and other Dakar riders caused the ASO to rethink the Dakar, lowering the displacement of The Race... and possibly pulling the rug out for which the purpose of the SE was built for.

I'm sure all bike manufacturers have dreams that race clubs will pop up designing race circuits around their products. And KTM probably had high hopes that big bike enduro races would pop up all over the world supporting big twin ownership. But the heat of a big competitive dirtbike craze KTM hoped for simply disappated ( not coincidentally around the time the Dakar went small). And KTM was pretty much stuck holding a 3,000 unit bag of suddenly antiquated SE's.

I didn't see much promotion of the SE before it's US release... but back then KTM didn't promote much of their products.

And with no big twin moto club races popping up, the SE became an Adventure bike afterthought, hiding in US dealer showrooms behind the better suited Adventure 990's (as it's purpose built adventure tourer).

I always loved the design of the SE, and was amazed to see them sitting for years collecting dust in my local dealer's showroom. But I had already taken on the task of owning and tricking out my '04 950 and didn't want to bail on it's evolution mid stream. If I had a choice at the beginning... if the SE would have been released in '04... that bike would have been my first choice.

And what both KTM Adventure and SE owners discovered soon after ownership was their fantastic pavement prowess and versatility. These bikes are super fun all around bikes. They can be easily customized in a variety of ways... from Rally faired to SuMo wheeled. KTM jumped on this phenomenon by diversifying into the SMR and SMT... so the SE lived on in some form or another.

I doubt KTM will ever re-release the Super Enduro. The SE is a one of a kind bike, built for immortals who are willing to ride over any terrain, those possessing brute strength to handle brute force. Unfortunately, the factory test pilots of that era have all moved on in one way or another.

And as KTM is a race inspired company, we shouldn't expect too much outside of their normal comfort levels.

The pursuit of the 1190 market is a far stretch for KTM as it is... and will keep them fairly focused for a long while.

I think we'd all like to see a lighter variation of the SE (and Adventure)... but some of us have been holding our breath for a long time on that one.

Let's not all suffocate at once here.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 10:59 AM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #21
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,895
My understanding is that the SE was an answer to BMW's HP2 winning some race at Erzberg in 2005.
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #22
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Taken at the factory in 2006 ...........

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #23
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 757
I have always been drawn to the odd ball "cult" bikes. My first street bike was the old Honda Hawk GT (NT650). way ahead of it's time and a great all around bike if there's no dirt involved. Street, track, mountains, commuter, it did many things with aplomb. Even raced one for a few years before making the move to an SV.

The SE is very similar. Under appreciated when it was introduced, languishing on the dealer floors, I remember seeing them "new" on the floor in 2010 and thinking that one day I will own one of them, especially after riding one at a KTM demo ride.

I'll stick with my "cult" bike and wish that some day they will come out with another red headed step child that I can love. Maybe the 1290SD?

we joke about an 1190 SE but IMHO what most of us that are really abusing our SE's want is something similar to the 690, but with a smaller v-twin. How about 325lbs, 80hp, v-twin, and durable? FI if they can get it dialed in right. I still have friends that complain about the fuel injection on their 690's.

my $.02
SpeedyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #24
twwhitey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
How about 325lbs, 80hp, v-twin, and durable? FI if they can get it dialed in right.
Throw in a reasonable maintenance schedule and I'll drink to that!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #25
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardstick View Post
my understanding is that the se was an answer to bmw's hp2 winning some race at erzberg in 2005.

+1

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #26
midfat
wholesome dirtiness

Oddometer: 203
I'm friends with an ex-Dakar racer. Someone who raced/worked at KTM at the time of the 950SE release. When I mentioned to him I had acquired a 950SE, he had only one response... "BE CAREFUL."

The bike, while spectacular, had the ability to put even the best riders in the world in over their heads. I mean, really? Nobody needs a 400lb, 100HP dirt bike. Frankly, a 450 is more than adequate for nearly any rider wanting to tackle technical off-road terrain.

The 950SE always was the answer to the question nobody was asking.

I'm completely thrilled to toddle my 950SE along the freeway at 80mph in search of a fun stretch of dirt. But, when I really want to tackle the snarly crap, I will choose my KLX450R any day of the week.
midfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #27
pfdskipper OP
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,003
Geez DesertSurfer, thanks for the BuzzKill. I think you do raise some valid points in that summation of factors that spelled doom for the SE. But, I think you missed touching upon the one obstacle that played the biggest part in the poor sales and eventual abadonment of the SE project....That being the near global economic melt down that took place. Wasn't there a large injection of Indian funds and influence into KTM HQ during the same time frame? Shift of corporate focus?
Yea, I know the tanking economy occurred well after the SE was introduced. The pre and post collapse ripple waves certainly impacted any marketing efforts that KTM could/should have utilized to push start the SE's slow sales situation.
Sadly, I do think you are correct about the doubtful return to production for the SE. That sucks. Well, at least I have one of the 3000.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #28
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post

\

Hmm...I'll bet someone on this site just looked at their SE in the factory.....AND NEVER HAD A CLUE !

I REALLY think the 3rd one is the same one in my shop.

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #29
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post

Wow...

Brings back memories...
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #30
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Purchase day pics. I actually bought the 950SM and the fellow who started the SE picture thread bought the SE. I got my SE a year later-- still have them both (44,000 and 34,000 miles respectively). Man, they sure looked sure clean then