ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
fltplan OP
Just toolin around

Oddometer: 124
Alamo Lake, AZ to Baghdad route?

Anyone know of an all dirt route going from Alamo Lake in Arizona to Baghdad, AZ? Planning a trip in October and looking for some different routes to get from the desert up into the mountains without taking the 71 & 89.

I just got the 24k maps for the southwest and it doesn't even show a road or trail going to Alamo Lake. Strange since I've driven the 60 & 71 for years and always see the sign that shows Alamo off to the left. Strange. Maybe I've got the map in the wrong mode or something.
BMW 1150 GSA www.2wheelsflyin.tumblr.com - my journey on wheels!
fltplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
fltplan OP
Just toolin around

okay, figured out the map problem. I was using the west maps, instead of the southwest maps in BaseCamp. Duh!

I was able to find a route that heads out of Alamo Lake and crosses 93 and ends up in Baghdad. Of course, I can't see gates on the maps, so I'm hoping that someone else will chime in on taking a similar route before...
Old 09-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,403
North on 93 to Santa Maria River RD & north east to 96, northwest on 96 to Bagdad. Right on Lindhal & on to Campwood Rd to end at Williamson Valley Rd.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
fltplan OP
Just toolin around

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
North on 93 to Santa Maria River RD & north east to 96, northwest on 96 to Bagdad. Right on Lindhal & on to Campwood Rd to end at Williamson Valley Rd.
From 93 on, that's the route I was looking at. From Alamo to 93 looks okay on the maps and google maps. Heads north on the 167, then hooks up to Signal rd to get over to the 93.

I take it you've done this route before? We will be moving to Williamson Valley n a couple years hopefully...
Old 09-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Keep me posted.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,399
The dirt roads that come in from the west and north side of the mine in Bagdad are all on mine property and are gated private. I could find no way North of AZ 97 to get to Bagdad. Best way in from the west is to use 97/96
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
fltplan OP
Just toolin around

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsconDeasy View Post
The dirt roads that come in from the west and north side of the mine in Bagdad are all on mine property and are gated private. I could find no way North of AZ 97 to get to Bagdad. Best way in from the west is to use 97/96
this is what I was afraid of. can't see gates from any map or google.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Where are your starting points & destination? Depending on the dates we could meet up & I could guide you through some of your path.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I Will be with a few KLR riders checking out the Signal RD to north Alamo lake on Oct 12-13. We have looked for a RT from Wikiup to camp wood to the north of Bagdad with no luck so far. Out of Wikiup on Burro RD amd Sycamore rds all seemed to peter out on private property. The roads heading to bagdad were closed mine property. Aztom might know a way thru, I could not find one.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
fltplan OP
Just toolin around

Out n the desert. Ill reply when I get back later today. Starting at san diego on the 24 or 25th of october. One night at alamo lake then planning on that route to camppwood area.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
fltplan OP
Just toolin around

Quote:
Where are your starting points & destination? Depending on the dates we could meet up & I could guide you through some of your path.
Haven't decided on the 24th or 25th of October, regardless, I'll spend the night of the 25th at Alamo Lake, then head up north and east. I'd like to meet up with you, keep in mind I'll be on a 500+# GSA for routing. I will probably spend a night somewhere around Camp Wood area, then into Prescott for a night. I'd like to leave Prescott and head out Williamson Valley Road to Kingman and then south to San Diego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlywill View Post
I Will be with a few KLR riders checking out the Signal RD to north Alamo lake on Oct 12-13. We have looked for a RT from Wikiup to camp wood to the north of Bagdad with no luck so far. Out of Wikiup on Burro RD amd Sycamore rds all seemed to peter out on private property. The roads heading to bagdad were closed mine property. Aztom might know a way thru, I could not find one.
This is the route I'm trying to figure out. Damn private property! Can't wait to move up to Prescott to really get to know this area, I really love the geography up that way. Yarnell, Skull Valley are just great areas.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
fltplan OP
Just toolin around

I'll try to get some screen shots from Basecamp to put up here to verify routes. I'm just figuring out the maps, so I'm sloooow at best on routings and such.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #13
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

I have a ride next month planned, so far just 4 or 5 of us on the 27th ,28th ,29th. Prescott to Laughlin on the 27th, Laughlin west, on the 28th & across the Mojave Trail & down to the 40 & down south & east on Sunflower Springs Trail, back Across to Parker. Depending on time, over night in Parker & home on the 29th. A little out of your way but maybe doable?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
fltplan OP
Just toolin around

Quote:
I have a ride next month planned, so far just 4 or 5 of us on the 27th ,28th ,29th. Prescott to Laughlin on the 27th, Laughlin west, on the 28th & across the Mojave Trail & down to the 40 & down south & east on Sunflower Springs Trail, back Across to Parker. Depending on time, over night in Parker & home on the 29th. A little out of your way but maybe doable?
I have to be back working on the 29th, so the 28th has to be a get back to San Diego day. I would like to hook up with you guys, but my dates are pretty firm. I should be up in that area quite a bit in the next couple years though.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,399
I should add that the gigantic square on the topo map called the Baca Float is also gated private.
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote