Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,324
We Want to Ride The Rock Again -- This Time Mo' Betta!

I've been hashing out a Summer 2014 "Big Trip" with AtlasEXP. My hope was to do Anticosti, but it appears that the erstwhile Russkie is going to be long on newborns and short on cash at that time. He and his wife Katya are expecting a child in December, and the Anticosti logistics won't work.

Fortunately, Anton has a supportive family, and they may let him off for ten days or so in late August. I'd never accuse Anton of trying to shirk his fatherly duties. He's been through the child-rearing process once, and I'd say he did a great job. I've met his daughter Jessica, and she's a very strong and self-sufficient woman in her early twenties. She'll be there helping to care for the new generation.

So here's the gig: We explored the Great Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland this August, and it exceeded our expectations in every way. You can look at our ride report here (keep those calls and letters coming) here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915172

This time, we'd go further east.

I'd go back in a heartbeat, and with the knowledge gained from the first time through, I suspect it would be an even better experience. We have a few riders drooling that missed it the first time.

This will be a dual-sport ride for bikes in the 650 class or well under. Our mission profile is as much gravel as possible, with as many interesting places as we can explore. We don't crap on big bikes for riders with the skills, neither do we discount the small ones. Have your act together, however.

Bring these:

Dirt-biased dual-sport tires, full knobbies if your inspections allow, or trials tires. Suspension capable of miles of whoops.
Dry, rugged luggage, preferably not hard bags.
A full tool kit, and the ability to use it.
Gear suited to riding and camping in what can be extreme conditions. Full wet-weather gear, both on and off the bike. A good tent and warm sleeping bag, fleece and warm layers, cooking gear, and enough food, whether freeze-dried, canned or whatever to carry through two days without restocking.

We'll send out the engraved invitations first:

First ins go to the original company:

Canuman
AtlasEXP
8GV
Applicant_255

Second ins go to the wounded:

C-Stain
Jackpiner57

Third ins go to to:

Dresda
Emmbeedee

'Cause I find them very pleasant company, and that means a lot, besides they speak good Canadian.

And the fourth go to people that I've never met, but would like to:

DaMurph
Newfiebullet
LittlePeter
skibum69
jacob_ns

As well as as those of you that I have met and know somewhat well:

Guymanbro. When the Savage Samoan shows, everyone rides to their limit.
ADVRich. To keep Guymanbro in check. An older, mellower savage.
Grind. 'Cause he has the thousand-yard stare, but is very cool about it.

This list is not at all comprehensive, and I've offended, please believe me.

First hope is to sign on twenty to twenty-four riders by December. In my experience, twelve of that group will show for the ride.

Full disclosure:

Unless you live in Canada relatively close to Nova Scotia, you're in for a haul to get to the ferry. I live thirty miles from the Quebec border, and we decided to trailer to North Sydney, NS to save our butts and the tires. As of August, 2013, the gas alone cost $375 US. An additional $100 was spent on camping, coffee, meals, and other stuff. The ride was 14 hours. Parking cost $45 for a week.

The ferry from North Sydney to Port Aux Basques with a bike is just around $100, and the same return. To add a cabin on the overnight, add about $40 if you share a four-berth with other riders. If you're picky and take a two-berth, double the cost.

Plan for about $50-$75 on the road each day per person, eating lunch and snacks, filling the tanks and camping out. If you're into motels or cottages and sitting down for dinner, this figure could easily triple, and you'd not be with the group in spirit anyway.

What's in it? Good routes; well-researched, with history and culture. Good companions. Challenging riding. Massive bonfires.

Don't get no better.

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com

Canuman screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 08:44 AM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:20 AM   #2
Newfiebullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
I don't think I'll be able to do the whole trip, but I'll certainly make an effort to cross paths for a day or two.
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:30 AM   #3
Stained
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,572
I can't commit to anything at this point - still going to be dealing with shit from being off for so long, but when I can RSVP, I will.

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
Stained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
I would be delighted to meet any and all comers but alas the only thing more inadequate than my equipment would be my dirt skills.
Might i suggest the Burin Peninsula. Close to the Argentia ferry and the trail association there has some excellent routes that may be just what you have in mind.
Elroy Grandy in Garnish has all the info and routes and i believe that he may be the most helpful contact in the area.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Just wanted to mention that 8GV may not attend because he'll be on the TAT. It's certainly not because he gets all the attention from the ladies or anything.

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com

Canuman screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 03:59 PM
Old 09-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
LongJohn
LongJohn

Oddometer: 7
Quietly standing in line! New 606's on the KLR; better pack some spare oil as well.

LongJohn.
LongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Wicked

You Canadians are too polite! Jump and shout! Make a fuss! Think about fitting rim locks! (On some sections we did in August, low tire pressures really saved the game.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongJohn View Post
Quietly standing in line! New 606's on the KLR; better pack some spare oil as well.

LongJohn.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Potential IN List

Canuman
AtlasExp
LongJohn
C-Stain
Littlepeter
G-Mac
guymanbro

Partials:
Jackpiner57
AdvRich
Newfiebullet
DaMurph

Canuman screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 08:41 AM
Old 09-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

I've got his email from the Burin Peninsula Trail website. Will contact him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
Elroy Grandy in Garnish has all the info and routes and i believe that he may be the most helpful contact in the area.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
I've got his email from the Burin Peninsula Trail website. Will contact him.
Inmate DRZ400SK4 has posted videos of a lot of these routes and others that may be informative to your group.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #11
LongJohn
LongJohn

Oddometer: 7
While the rambunctious ones are shooting their mouths off I'm slowly making my way to the front of the line. The QUIET guys always seem to sneak through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
You Canadians are too polite! Jump and shout! Make a fuss! Think about fitting rim locks! (On some sections we did in August, low tire pressures really saved the game.)
LongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I'm in if the dates fit and LongJohn doesn't bring the "tent of a 1000 zippers". Quiet one...heh.
Littlepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Going through the old tracks, and plotting some new ones. I'm looking at an arrival in PAB probably second week of August., 2014 for ten days on The Rock. From PAB, one can either slab it up to Gallants (quickest way, hardly the most interesting) and then cut overland to Corner Brook. All things being equal, I'd plan to camp at BMWKLR's good campsite and spend two days on the tablelands south of Bonne Bay on light bikes, hitting Serpentine Lake and the Lomond Sinkhole. The third night would be at the hostel at Norris Point, which would give riders a chance to do laundry, dry off if necessary, shower, and generally re-group. The hostel is a nice place, and a good value. There are quite a few restaurants in Rocky Harbour.

Of the sections of the Trailway we visited in 2013 below Corner Brook, the only one I would consider riding again is around Fischell's. However, if riders want to do it the hard way, we could split into two or more groups, depending on interests.

Canuman screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 04:00 PM
Old 09-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,079
Hmmm, just noticed this thread now. Stephanie can't have seen it, so I'm sure it'll be on the agenda for tomorrow's morning coffee hour. Sounds like a lot of fun!
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #15
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 884
Aha! You have the Newfoundland addiction. Once you've been there you just have to keep going back. Plans are afoot here to make the trip next year at about that time. My dirt skills are limited but I have a plan. More later .....😸

Sent via aldis lamp on Tapatalk
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is online now   Reply With Quote