ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Chevenso OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Where to stay in Lake Tahoe

We are going to be staying in Lake Tahoe for a couple days over 4th of July weekend. We are planning on camping one night and staying in a hotel one night. Any suggestions on where to stay would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Chevenso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,542
Not a Harrahs'.

Wife and I found out the hard way a few weeks ago. Old, smelly, lousy food, etc...

Just a short distance away was a Holiday Inn Express(which we always use when traveling)wished I woulda booked that.

Tahoe is beautiful, enjoy.

...and say hi to my money.

Southern California from a scooter;
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941261
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
Donsesso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Just left there today. Stayed at Tahoe Beach and Ski Club. Great place IMO. Check out the website
Donsesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,101
it's been couple years but lakeside inn is south tahoe is cheap ($50) and decently clean. ask for room on ground level in back and you can park your bikes on the very wide sidewalk in front of room.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,832
The best deals for motels seem to be on the California side, near the lake. A few of those places include beach access as part of the room cost. If you plan to watch the fireworks from shore, that would be a good place to be. One thing to consider is that some of those places may require a 2-night minimum, especially during a holiday. You should nail down reservations ASAP, because you are already close enough that it will be difficult.

Camping: We stayed at Camp Richardson (near the south end of the lake) during Oktoberfest. It would be a very convenient place to camp with a family, because they have food, coffee, restrooms, showers, and of course beach access. Right across the highway from Camp Richardson is Fallen Leaf Campground, which is run by the Forest Service. I haven't stayed there yet, but it is also within short walking distance to all the amenities. Once again, time is running short to nail down camp spot reservations.

You could disperse camp out in the Forest, but finding a good spot during the 4th will be tough, and it will probably be a little ways away from Tahoe.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,376
Lake Tahoe

Stay in Minden, just 20 min east of the Lake. Less hassle, nicer rooms, fewer tourists..

Pointman
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,557
Get a reservation NOW. The place will be packed. I just went through it on Memorial day.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
ProLeisure
Gimme shelter...

Oddometer: 53
As others have stated, determine what shore you're interested in staying on or near, and book now. The 4th of July weekend is one of the busiest times of the year in Tahoe.

If you're staying in North Lake Tahoe, Truckee may have more options. It's 20 minutes from the lake, and 30 minutes from Reno. Also, consider some of the ski areas such as Squaw Valley. Several ski areas have large condo complexes and hotels and their rates tend to be less during the summer months.

You'll find several campgrounds North of Truckee to Sierraville on HWY 89. I rode past Logger Campground next to the Stampede Reservoir this past Sunday and there was a small line of cars waiting to get in. So book your campground choice as soon as possible as well.
ProLeisure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
Chevenso OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thanks

Thanks for the information everyone. I am going to try get a hotel booked tonight. What about a little more off the grid camping in the area? First, are there regulations pertaining to this. Second, are there areas where we could do this. I just like the idea of waking up to quiet and nature.

Thanks again!
Chevenso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #10
avejoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevenso View Post
Thanks for the information everyone. I am going to try get a hotel booked tonight. What about a little more off the grid camping in the area? First, are there regulations pertaining to this. Second, are there areas where we could do this. I just like the idea of waking up to quiet and nature.

Thanks again!
Waking up to quiet near Lake Tahoe 4th of July weekend is a tall order.

I have a fever, and the only prescription is more moto.
avejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #11
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by avejoe View Post

Yeah, not within sight of the lake anyway.

You can "disperse camp" anywhere in National Forest land. All you have to do is find a dirt road (preferably one with a name something like 11N02), and find a good spot. If there isn't an obvious spot where people have camped there before, the rule of thumb is that you aren't supposed to get more than one vehicle length off the road. Best to find the little turn outs near streams, though. I doubt they are giving out campfire permits, so your only option for a fire would be in a developed campground with a host. Stoves are fine, though.

Do you have a 4X4? Just south of Tahoe at the intersection of Hwy 88 and 89 is a little dirt road that leads to Burnside Lake. The lakeside spots will probably be taken, but the 4X4 trail leads to a nice overlook campsite.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by avejoe View Post
Hey, it's an awesome weekend to visit.

Stopped traffic from Truckee all the way around the west side of the lake all day long in both directions, 2 hour wait to get in a restaurant that doesn't have enough servers or kitchen capacity, and everything is double or triple priced for lodging or activities.

The fastest mode of transport will be a bicycle, by an incredible margin.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #13
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
I used to live in Truckee and years ago on the July 4th weekend the new pavement on the highway melted between Truckee and Tahoe City.

Cars were stuck all over the place. Be prepared to deal with lots of people the whole weekend.

Do not drink and drive, the cops are all over the place that weekend
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #14
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
If you're coming all the way over from ND, it would be worth taking days off from work to get a non-peak weekend. Like everyone else said, the 4th of July gridlock and crowding will take a lot of the enjoyment out of your vacation. There really will be miles of backup and stopped cars around Tahoe City, it's insane.

Something fun to do would be two nights in Virginia City with a Tahoe loop on the middle day. I'd ask for the "hundred mile view rooms" (street side rooms, there's four) in the Silver Queen Hotel. Great historical hotel built in the 1860's with a lot of ambiance. No night life in VC at all, though, they roll up the sidewalks at dusk.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #15
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

I love Virginia City; kind of similar to Deadwood, SD. We usually try to go every year in September for the Ferrari Hill Climb Challenge, which is on the same weekend as the Steampunk Ball. Talk about two opposite events.

High Country Herb screwed with this post 05-30-2014 at 03:18 PM