Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #16
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Some people wouldn't notice much of a difference in MANY THINGS while others imagine differences. and while I can't say there was or was not in a variety of instances... I noticed a difference when changing spark plugs in mine, as I also have when performing valve adjustments. so far no real noticeable changes for oil. transmission fluid, slightly... and not really for the better, just "different".

but yea... back to topic. spark plugs can make a difference. those that say other wise, eh don't bother changing yours then. save a buck and buy a sixer, enjoy.

KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #17
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
Plugs are cheap and easy on a gs. Also a good excuse to look around. Each time a plug sparks it wears out a bit so it will run better. How much???? Who knows. But for my money a new set of plugs each year is a no brainier. I put 30k a year on.

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruesome View Post
...but it's never too late to brush up on your reading skills.
I said I did change my oil.
I wasn't talking about your post, maybe you should take some of your own advice and try reading the post by def.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #19
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,449
One reason to change the plugs is that they get corroded and then the damn stick coils stick (no pun intended). I had a hell of a time getting my coils out (even using the handy BMW tool) this weekend and I'll be pulling the coils and re-greasing them annually from now on.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #20
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,913
[QUOTE=JetSpeed;22402599....try reading the post by def.[/QUOTE]

Nobody reads my posts...not even me. Also, few people take any advice I might offer....especially me.

"Hey Andy".

"Hey Barney"

"Andy, I was talking with Opie the other day, ya know, sorta grown-up to child kinda conversation? I told Opie to be careful about who he picks to be friends with".

"Well Barney, ahem, I wish you would ask me first before you make suggestions to Opie about his friends. Remember, young boys are very impressionable".

"Well, I know Andy but the boy needs to be careful about those things".

"Barney, its school let-out time. Go guard the school crossing and don't take the squad car... I need it to take Aunt Bee shopping".
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #21
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
One reason to change the plugs is that they get corroded and then the damn stick coils stick (no pun intended). I had a hell of a time getting my coils out (even using the handy BMW tool) this weekend and I'll be pulling the coils and re-greasing them annually from now on.

I had a heck of time removing my spark plugs themselves. yep, even after reading about needing a slender socket... I have a variety and found one that seemed to fit... and then it got stuck. took a bit to remove it. then found yet another even more slender and that worked fine. but it was indeed a pain getting the one stuck.

ok so I feel a need to add: it slipped right in nice and easy. started backing it out... yea, got stuck. should I be embarrassed to mention this after stating I had already read about the problem? eh, not so much. it really did slide right in and felt like it had room. felt it worthy of mentioning the issue for anybody not aware there is an issue with socket fit that happens to read this thread and go change their own spark plugs without looking into it any further.

KoolBreeze screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 07:39 PM
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #22
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadapple View Post
I replaced my original OEM Bosch plugs on my 06 R12GS last week along with a new air cleaner element. The bike has 23k miles on it (yeah, I hear the boos and hisses) -- I have two bikes that get equal time. Before doing the change, I didn't think the bike was running as good as it should -- not bad I thought, but not idling as smoothly as I remembered and maybe a bit more sluggish on acceleration. After I browsed some spark plug threads, I decided to try the NGK DCPR8EIX iridiums. Supposedly the OEM plugs are made to last a long time and supposedly 23K miles is within their lifespan. The OEM's looked pretty good coming out -- a light toasty tan color. Long story short, I'm amazed at the difference in the way the bike runs now. I honestly don't think the bike has performed as well even when it was new -- the idle is flawless and the acceleration is more brisk. Maybe new OEM plugs would have made the same difference -- who knows? What I do know is that I'll be changing plugs more often in the future. The iridiums need changing more often but it's a small price to pay for such a noticeable difference.
I've got an R1150RT twin-spark. Two years ago I put in Autolite plugs all-around. The plugs look good and when tested outside the engine, fire. I had slow starting and very slightly rough idle. Replacing the bottom plugs, which showed a bit of oiliness made a big difference. I'm planning to replace the bottom plugs annually.
roger 04 rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #23
GasGuzzler
GasGuzzler

Oddometer: 106
Spark plugs??

Nobody told me I had to change spark plugs too. 93k and running strong,Ijust did the second air filter. Maybee on the next air filter I will try and find these spark things.
GasGuzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #24
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,504
Do it. Your bike will shift better.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #25
ACD
old nOOb

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler View Post
Nobody told me I had to change spark plugs too. 93k and running strong,Ijust did the second air filter. Maybee on the next air filter I will try and find these spark things.
And remember the old rule: after every third plugs replacement, one oil exchange (needing or not!)
ACD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #26
lumpy749
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
spark plugs

I changed all four plugs on my 1150GSA at 45000k`s. Did notice the top ones were very corroded and it seemed to be that it was holding water due to the sealing effect of the plug caps. The water gets in through the gaps in the cooling fins above the plugs so now I take the caps off after I wash it and blow it out with air. More disturbingly there was a small stone in there lodged against the hex of the plug that prevented me getting a plug spanner on it. Resulted in a helluva struggle to pick it out with an O ring pick.
On the subject of stones and 1150GSA`s, I took the old girl for a ride up to Broome through the centre some time back. Took in lots of dirt roads and had a great time. About a year went by and many more miles and I started her up to go for a razz one day and there was a horrible grinding noise coming from the alternator belt housing. I shut her down and removed the cover and there was 2 pieces of Australia lodged against the crank pulley. Two red rocks about the size of my thumb nail must have been sitting on top of the crankcases and fallen in there.
lumpy749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #27
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,670
All in your head, unless you have some hard numbers on improved mileage to back it up. Here's a couple of plugs, one with 70k miles on it next to a new one. After replacing them I noticed no difference and the mileage did not change much. I should change the air filter since its got almost 100k on it.

I got a biigger jump in mileage by inflating my tires to 40 psi.

Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #28
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadapple View Post
I replaced my original OEM Bosch plugs on my 06 R12GS last week along with a new air cleaner element. The bike has 23k miles on it (yeah, I hear the boos and hisses) -- I have two bikes that get equal time. Before doing the change, I didn't think the bike was running as good as it should -- not bad I thought, but not idling as smoothly as I remembered and maybe a bit more sluggish on acceleration. After I browsed some spark plug threads, I decided to try the NGK DCPR8EIX iridiums. Supposedly the OEM plugs are made to last a long time and supposedly 23K miles is within their lifespan. The OEM's looked pretty good coming out -- a light toasty tan color. Long story short, I'm amazed at the difference in the way the bike runs now. I honestly don't think the bike has performed as well even when it was new -- the idle is flawless and the acceleration is more brisk. Maybe new OEM plugs would have made the same difference -- who knows? What I do know is that I'll be changing plugs more often in the future. The iridiums need changing more often but it's a small price to pay for such a noticeable difference.

Read your post and figured I should change mine... did, done. Ebay $7 and some change (shipped) each for the DCPR8EIX iridiums. If nothing else I just feel better.

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #29
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Bosch spark plugs suck, they belong in the trash can. You put some proper plugs in it.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #30
NinjaRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Believe me, I wish I was getting 80 - 100K out of my plugs too!

When I ended up changing mine, it wasn't because I was looking to spend
money and time changing them. My bike had gradually started to run
like SH*t, idling rough and struggling in 6th gear above 75 mph.
When I put a new ( balanced )front tire on and it wasn't any smoother
at "speed", I knew something else was going on and needed to figure it out.
Shifting down to 5th gear on the highway smoothed everything out, so I
seemed to be missing top-end power.

Maybe it's the same reason my bike ran like crap when I tried Iridium plugs
a couple years ago, while others swear by them. Again, I wasn't looking for a
reason to buy a second pair of plugs to replace brand new ones, but when I
finally switched to the NGK Platinum plugs, the bike ran like new again.

Maybe BMW has wide production tolerances, maybe the ECU has a different
software update, maybe a plug or two is getting fouled by something else.
Not sure, but new plugs did made a difference.
NinjaRider is offline   Reply With Quote