Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
caea OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
My first bike. Can it be a F 800 GS Adventure?

Hi everyone!
Don't know if this is the correct place to ask this, if not i'm sorry, but here it goes.
I'm currently having lessons to obtain a motorcycle driving licence (Europe). Started with a 125cc and after 5 lessons, till now, I jumped to a Honda CB500. I'm currently 6 lessons away from the final driving exam and even before commencing the lessons I started looking (and dreaming) for a bike.
The one that really caught my eye was the new BMW F 800 GS Adventure, love at first sight .
I'm 5'10'' and consider myself to be very calm on the throttle and the road, although for a newbie that won't be of a much if thing goes wrong fast (my 0$02).
With this in mind do you guys think that the F 800 GSA would be a good first bike?
Thanks in advance.
caea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Sure. Why not...?

I started on dirt bikes, and think that is best, but not everyone digs that.

I applaud your taking the initiative to take lessons.

You'll be fine. Just be alert and careful. Spend a lot of time in the dirt at first because it hurts less when you make mistakes.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Talking First Bike???

Quote:
Originally Posted by caea View Post
Hi everyone!
Don't know if this is the correct place to ask this, if not i'm sorry, but here it goes.
I'm currently having lessons to obtain a motorcycle driving licence (Europe). .........With this in mind do you guys think that the F 800 GSA would be a good first bike?
Thanks in advance.
Hi Caea,

Welcome to the forums! Perhaps you could give a bit more information on what your riding interests are and your other sport interests. For example, will you mostly be on paved roads (Tarmac) or off road? Do you ski or snowboard or ride bicycles or hike...?

In my opinion, going with what you "love" counts...but if you can test ride one, it is always good to do so. Here in the US, my local dealer has demos and I was able to ride several bikes before buying my F800GS. I was on a WR450 before the F800GS and in my opinion, I don't feel a lot more power (although there is) I feel a lot more weight and a LOT less vibration on the paved roads.

If your desire is to become a capable off road rider who will ride difficult off road routes, then I would consider starting your off road learning on a smaller, less expensive bike like a 250 or 450 enduro style bike. In my opinion, it is more beneficial to learn off road riding skills on a smaller bike and then transfer those skills to a larger bike. There are others on this forum who started on the F800GS and are very capable riders.

So, in closing, I will say, get what you love and if you can, ride as many bikes as possible and if you end up with an F800GS, also try to get on a 450 or 250 dirt bike and do some dirt training as well.

Cheers - Pangia

2013 F800GS / Santa Fe to Cinnamon Pass Ride Report

Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
caea OP
n00b

Hi JRose and Pangia, thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangia View Post
Hi Caea,

Welcome to the forums! Perhaps you could give a bit more information on what your riding interests are and your other sport interests...

...also try to get on a 450 or 250 dirt bike and do some dirt training as well.

Cheers - Pangia
I will use the bike from commuting to work to weekend rides with small off-road 'incursions' in wide dirt roads, nothing to technical (at the beginning at least), also long distance riding ''exploring'' style around Europe, North Africa this after getting some experience on the bike.
Other sport interests, well; Trail Running, Rock Climbing, Hiking I would say anything which involves nature .

Sure, before putting myself with a more technical dirt road (with a big bike as the F800) I would definitely do some training on a smaller less powerful bike.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Ride-a-lot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
My opinion. Starting with a new bike is a very bad idea. You ARE going to drop it, probably several times. Dropping a new bike can get very expensive fast if you fix it to new condition.

You would be smart to get a small used bike and ride it for a year while you get all your newbie whoopsies out of the way. If you get a bike that is mechanically fine but has a few scrapes and dents from previous tipovers after a year you will probably be able to sell it for what you paid for it if you only add a few more scrapes.

Starting your riding career with a new bike in my opinion is never a good idea.
Ride-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
mamm
< advertise here! >

Oddometer: 207
5'10" newbie on a F800GSA? You will be on your toes (or flat-footing just one side), a situation that's best handled with some experience under your belt. A few low speed drops will ensue, guaranteed.

On the other hand, the GSAs (both the 800 and the 1200) come with lots of crash protection from the factory, so the damage will be mostly cosmetic.

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.
mamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
If you were close to Birmingham Alabama I'd say come borrow my XR250 and go get comfortable.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
trhjohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 8
First Bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caea View Post
Hi everyone!
I'm currently having lessons to obtain a motorcycle driving licence (Europe). Started with a 125cc and after 5 lessons, till now, I jumped to a Honda CB500. I'm currently 6 lessons away from the final driving exam and even before commencing the lessons I started looking (and dreaming) for a bike.
The one that really caught my eye was the new BMW F 800 GS Adventure, love at first sight .
I'm 5'10'' and consider myself to be very calm on the throttle and the road, although for a newbie that won't be of a much if thing goes wrong fast (my 0$02).
With this in mind do you guys think that the F 800 GSA would be a good first bike?
Thanks in advance.
I too am taking lessons right now. My background is mainly mountain bikes and 3 years of semi-pro road bike (the peddle kind) racing. That being said, I am new to the world of motorcycles and I am loving every minute of it. I talked this subject over with my motorcycle instructor extensively and he suggested just getting a new bike, the one you want to keep forever. He started out riding sixty years ago and has only laid his bike over a couple of times. I live in Colorado and am planning on doing long overland trips on dirt and paved sections so my first bike is going to be the 2014 F800 GS Adventure. It should be here at the end of this week or next, I already reserved it. I did a lot of research and chose this bike for its extended range, and loads of standard accessories, I also liked the lighter feel over the KTM 990. I am 6'5" so height is not an issue, they do have a seat lowering kit and I am sure the dealer will work with you on that. I have a cautious streak coupled with years of experience on two wheels, I have nothing to prove to myself or others and am not worried about crashing a new bike. I figure if I get in over my head, that is probably my fault. Get what you want, what makes you happy and keep us all posted. I can't wait to get mine. Ride safe
trhjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
chris73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I rode dirt bikes when I was young, and decided to go with a brand new f800 as my fist bike. I really like the bike. It has been dropped a few times in the dirt though. Everyones situation is different. For me, I wanted to buy A bike once, and was not scared of dropping it in the dirt. I haven't broken anything, but if I do, I can afford to fix it.
chris73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:19 AM   #10
ynnck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I myself bought a F800GSA 2 months ago and it is my first motorcycle. Prior to the GSA I have never ridden motorcycles besides the mandatory lessons to get my license.

I have currently ridden about 2.000km mainly commuting to work and back. I did manage to drop it once at an intersection without any real damage, which I'm sure could have been prevented if I had started with a smaller/lighter bike. I currently ride 99% on road, where the weight/size of the bike is less of an issue than offroad.

As long as you are careful and realise it is a fat bike and you will drop it (several times), I think there's no real issue with starting with a F800GSA. A lot of it comes down to common sense and a bit of luck. Just don't get yourself into situations you can't handle yet.
ynnck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
caea OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhjohn View Post
I too am taking lessons right now. ... I talked this subject over with my motorcycle instructor extensively and he suggested just getting a new bike, the one you want to keep forever. ...
Ride safe
Maybe one of the first persons I could have asked for an opinion, the instructor , didn't remember that. After all he is evaluating and seeing my evolution. I think.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
AirforceGSRider244
Hardcore adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I was in the same position as you. i had a choice between the New 800gsa or the 2013 800GS. i opted for the proven 800gs versus a first year gsa. know what im saying? weigh the options you decide.if you get the proven 800gs you can get the extended gas tank for it. go just as far as the GSA 800.
I have it on mine and its freaking awesome!

http://www.camel-adv.com/
AirforceGSRider244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
AirforceGSRider244
Hardcore adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-a-lot View Post
My opinion. Starting with a new bike is a very bad idea. You ARE going to drop it, probably several times. Dropping a new bike can get very expensive fast if you fix it to new condition.

You would be smart to get a small used bike and ride it for a year while you get all your newbie whoopsies out of the way. If you get a bike that is mechanically fine but has a few scrapes and dents from previous tipovers after a year you will probably be able to sell it for what you paid for it if you only add a few more scrapes.

Starting your riding career with a new bike in my opinion is never a good idea.
That is a really good idea. i started out on a kawa 250s then upgraded to a kawa 650. and finally 4years after the 250s got a 800GS 2013. love it and cherish it with every strand of my DNA. I would have trashed this beautiful peice of machinery in the beginning. doesnt mean i dont use it offroad though. ;) heheeehehehe

FOR THE OP:
Theres 2 types of riders. those who've crashed and those who havent crashed yet. welcome to the club. be safe and always wear your gear no matter how uncomfortable you are. uncomfortable is always better then dead.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #14
AirforceGSRider244
Hardcore adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
Sure. Why not...?

I started on dirt bikes, and think that is best, but not everyone digs that.

I applaud your taking the initiative to take lessons.

You'll be fine. Just be alert and careful. Spend a lot of time in the dirt at first because it hurts less when you make mistakes.
Plus driving offroad gives you better reactionary skills on road. and will make you not as prone to little anomalies in the movement in the bike such as tank slap or sliding. itll help you out in the long run.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #15
Fearless Whetu
Aussie Kiwi

Oddometer: 225
Sure you might drop it, sure you could start with a smaller, lighter bike but in all honesty if you've got the cash and you love the GSA go for it.

BMW are safe, reliable bikes and you've gotta have that feeling of satisfaction when you look in the garage at her just sitting there.

Definitely test ride one first, but being new you wont really have much to compare it with but you will know if its right.

Im excited for you, welcome to the club
Fearless Whetu is online now   Reply With Quote