ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - West & PNW
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Did you actually ride the eleven mile wash section north of Rio Verde to Carefree? I rode that last winter and found it not big bike friendly. I may have sent you my tracks, but I don't remember.

Also did you ride the section from Bloody Basin to Verde? Thanks, Bob
Bob,

I think these two plus the east section north of I-10, and Globe to Scottsdale are the only ones I did not ride. However I think they are all active logs (with time stamps & MPH) from others.

Jerry
Old 06-28-2014, 07:30 AM   #17
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
Jerry,

I am thinking of doing a ride that would include much of the GWT between Cameron and Camp Verde. I got your latest GWT tracks.

Can you refresh my memory of what your color codes mean. I am kind of guessing green are the primary routes. And I believe red are generally difficult sections. I don't know what maroon and pink are, maybe non GWT alternates.

Also are there any motels/restaurants in the general area between Cameron and Tusayan. I would like to avoid both of those if possible.

Thanks
Bill
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #18
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Bill,

Be aware Hwy 89 South of Page was closed when I was there in April at this location (36 40.093'N 111 37.775'W) and at the bottom due to major slide mid-way down "The Cut". It's been closed on and off for a while. Locals told me it was open, but it wasn't. That's probably beyond where you're going this time, but thought you might like to know.

The bypass road (Indian Route 20 / Coppermine Rd) is now 100% paved from this point (36 18.475'N 111 26.211'W) all the way north to Page.

I'll PM you the way we go.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #19
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Can you refresh my memory of what your color codes mean. I am kind of guessing green are the primary routes. And I believe red are generally difficult sections. I don't know what maroon and pink are, maybe non GWT alternates.

Also are there any motels/restaurants in the general area between Cameron and Tusayan. I would like to avoid both of those if possible. Bill
Bill,

Track Colors are:
Dark Green is Fun Dual Sport
Dark Magenta is Adv Bike bypasses for harder sections
Red is Difficult Dual Sport

Very little Pink and are self explanatory special

Between Cameron and Tusayan is Grand Canyon. There is main village and several places to buy indian jewelry and perhaps indian Tacos out side the park. Cameron is nice but perhaps pricey lots to see and do there. I stayed in RV park across the street. There is at least food/gas at Gray Mt but I think old motel was closed. Can't remember intersection of Park road and Hwy 89 but at least gas and some food.

Jerry
Old 06-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #20
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Scott,

Yeah we are well aware of that closure. It hasn't been a problem except for the extra traffic near Tuba City.

Next time we will be coming into Cameron from the southeast. I think we will start out doing the last two days of our May ride in reverse and pick up some of the stuff we missed.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981366

Jerry,

Thanks for jogging my memory about the color codes. I have several months to plan this. Don't know if we will do it in the fall or more likely next spring.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #21
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bill,

Look at swinging south thru Sunrise before Camron to go by Grand Falls on Little Colorado. Haven't been there but told it is worth going by. See AZ/NM SMTS file (many of these tracks are yours).

Jerry
Old 06-29-2014, 07:14 AM   #22
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the tip. I checked it out. It would be an easy and probably worthwhile diversion from our probable route in an otherwise somewhat dull ride.

Pics on Google Earth were really nice and I found this official web site.

http://www.navajonationparks.org/htm/grandfalls.htm

But I guess the water/mud only runs during spring runoff and after a heavy rain somewhere downstream.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #23
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
But I guess the water/mud only runs during spring runoff and after a heavy rain somewhere downstream.
?
Old 07-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #24
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

I think gravity works in reverse in thru there. Otherwise I guess the water would come from upstream.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #25
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I think gravity works in reverse in thru there. Otherwise I guess the water would come from upstream.
Stopped in Rigens ID on the Salmon River, it was hotter than hell. Local told us it was so hot because it was below sea level.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #26
ZMANCBR
n00b

Oddometer: 8
riding GWT AZ&UT sections

Thanks Coundown for posting the attached track. A group of riders from Michigan will attempt this track from Nogales Az to the end of Utah- hopefully... Now i have only viewed the track in Google Earth. I do not have a full version yet. Would you say that knobbies are absolutelly required? or Metz Turanzas are just fine for AZ&Ut sections? We are leaving Aug 1st. 1 gsa,1 gs, 1 strom
ZMANCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #27
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANCBR View Post
Thanks Coundown for posting the attached track. A group of riders from Michigan will attempt this track from Nogales Az to the end of Utah- hopefully... Now i have only viewed the track in Google Earth. I do not have a full version yet. Would you say that knobbies are absolutelly required? or Metz Turanzas are just fine for AZ&Ut sections? We are leaving Aug 1st. 1 gsa,1 gs, 1 strom
Full active log tracks are posted on GPSXchange.com, only filtered teaser on Adv.

I layout trails on 525 EXC with MT43 tire. I have never ridden a bike without knobbies or MT43 so can't advise. Make sure and take all Adv bypasses on any bike larger than a 500.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #28
highrpm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Hey Countdown, I just want to make sure I'm hearing you right about the GWT and ADV bikes. As long as you follow the ADV route, the R1200GS on Battle Wings should do fine right?
Old 07-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #29
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,024
I saw a coupe of guys on L/C GSs at D2D who didn't buy TKCs. It can get ugly when it rains. I would recommend TKCs or Mitas E07s for any off road riding.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #30
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrpm View Post
Hey Countdown, I just want to make sure I'm hearing you right about the GWT and ADV bikes. As long as you follow the ADV route, the R1200GS on Battle Wings should do fine right?
Yes always take > 650 on Adv options. Can't talk about tires, just size of bike. Read the AZBDR threads much of the trail is the same.