ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #76
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,808
Thank you Tom for everything , I guess I can't thank u enough specially for retrieving me. I had so much fun all 3 days.
Quote:
but one of the team had mechanical issues so we changed the plan
Huh that would be me, After a nice section on Power Access rd to Parker I notice a clicking noise coming of my engine so I noticed Tom and suggested to bail out if I can. Tom, Tom and Sandwash decided that is best to stick together. So the noise consisted and pushed it to get as far as passed Parker. It started to hesitate so I shut the engine and never turn it on again. It was shut to me. I thing it was bearing rod sound like. I won't know till tomorrow or so. Beside that the bike performed amazingly on long stretches of sand. I clocked about 37 miles of deep sand. If the sand don't get u the whoops will.
__________________
DR-Z440E 00 - DR650SE 02.
Je ne suis Jamais a l'aise que lorsque je termine mon parcours, parlant d'Enduro bien sure. "DR650sEDDY".
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #77
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,540
On a side note, I rode across that same terrain, less the Bagdad loop 2 weeks ago on my Yamaha 250. While not at a fever pace, made good time & didn't struggle. I have had the Honda XRL 4 years & while not as light as the Yamaha have done the Mojave Trail twice with it. I struggled with it so badly Monday, held up the group most of the day. With help changed the forks, lowering them in the clamps, changing the settings. Dropped air pressure. Really nothing helped. I have always enjoyed riding this bike & always felt confident riding it. By the time we reached Parker I was for sure putting it for sale. They are a little heavy & not the most powerful bike out there. You really, as you do with most bikes steer it with the throttle & rear wheel. I recently changed sprockets & chain & decided I needed more cruising speed on highway so went to stock gearing Stupid Made it a wallowing Pig in the sand & offroad. So I am feeling better about my abilities & the bike. Don't be surprised to see a RR on the whole purposed loop in the next few weeks as I never admit defeat unless I have given it my all Plus rooms at the C Belle are $14 through Nov
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #78
mefadv
Studly Adventurer
 
mefadv's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wickenburg AZ
Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
On a side note, I rode across that same terrain, less the Bagdad loop 2 weeks ago on my Yamaha 250. While not at a fever pace, made good time & didn't struggle. I have had the Honda XRL 4 years & while not as light as the Yamaha have done the Mojave Trail twice with it. I struggled with it so badly Monday, held up the group most of the day. With help changed the forks, lowering them in the clamps, changing the settings. Dropped air pressure. Really nothing helped. I have always enjoyed riding this bike & always felt confident riding it. By the time we reached Parker I was for sure putting it for sale. They are a little heavy & not the most powerful bike out there. You really, as you do with most bikes steer it with the throttle & rear wheel. I recently changed sprockets & chain & decided I needed more cruising speed on highway so went to stock gearing Stupid Made it a wallowing Pig in the sand & offroad. So I am feeling better about my abilities & the bike. Don't be surprised to see a RR on the whole purposed loop in the next few weeks as I never admit defeat unless I have given it my all Plus rooms at the C Belle are $14 through Nov
Very sorry to hear of all the "Bumps in the Road" on this trip... That Freeek'n Sand drains a body then spits you out in a pile. I was going to ask why you were riding the xrl but thought I would ask after the trip. Sounds like you need to stay with that wonderful li'l wr.
Anxious to hear about the Bagdad blunder, locked gate or?
All got back safe... Well all but Eddies bike, Bummer...
__________________
Mark, a Misplaced Farm Boy....
XR400, plated
mefadv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #79
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
Very sorry to hear of all the "Bumps in the Road" on this trip... That Freeek'n Sand drains a body then spits you out in a pile. I was going to ask why you were riding the xrl but thought I would ask after the trip. Sounds like you need to stay with that wonderful li'l wr.
Anxious to hear about the Bagdad blunder, locked gate or?
All got back safe... Well all but Eddies bike, Bummer...
Ride leader punched in the wrong GPS route, missed the turn. Retraced to find it, took wrong turn & miles of rough stuff later we were back in Bagdad Realized finally what I had done or not done but decided not enough daylight to redo.
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #80
Trigxrr
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Kingman AZ
Oddometer: 81
Just want to say Thanks to everyone in the group for letting me come along on the ride , Didnt mind the Bagdad loop at all , I havent ridden in the dirt for over 10yrs so being out there was a blast for me ..
Now I have a good idea of what things I need to upgrade and things I need to keep with me on the bike , Hope to get back out there again as soon as I get a new set of tires ...

And Tom 1 I owe you for the fill up
Eddy sorry about the DR
Trigxrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #81
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigxrr View Post
Just want to say Thanks to everyone in the group for letting me come along on the ride , Didnt mind the Bagdad loop at all , I havent ridden in the dirt for over 10yrs so being out there was a blast for me ..
Now I have a good idea of what things I need to upgrade and things I need to keep with me on the bike , Hope to get back out there again as soon as I get a new set of tires ...

And Tom 1 I owe you for the fill up
Eddy sorry about the DR
Were even. Not even a gallon for sure. Look at it as reimbursement for taking you in circles
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #82
Trigxrr
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Kingman AZ
Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Were even. Not even a gallon for sure. Look at it as reimbursement for taking you in circles
Well you have my address & phone info , If you guys need a pit stop or maintenance or tow and you are near by Kingman call
Trigxrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #83
viper05
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Phoenix
Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigxrr View Post
Well you have my address & phone info , If you guys need a pit stop or maintenance or tow and you are near by Kingman call
Hey same here when you do the Phx bonus loop
__________________
67 TR6C, 70 TR6C
73 TR5T, 74 CZ250
76 MR250, 82 CBX
06 Scrambler, 10 530XC-W
viper05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #84
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,808
My brief RR :
We met at AzTom for breakfast Sunday Morning (Thanks Tom) The Bacon were crunchy, few minutes from then we took off to the gas station for refueling to take CampWood rd to Bagdad.

Camp wood rd was fun start


Tom was riding sweep.


After Bagdad we rode few miles on black top to Burro Creek trail where we took the wrong right turn and did a rugged nasty trail (which I didn't mind) but it wasn't the chosen one. So we took a break to figure this out.

Where I got the chance to test ride Tom's 530 exr .
The trail went through a canyon and got out back to Bagdad... It was like a roller coaster ride but it throw our schedule way behind. I suggested backtracking but the majority voted to move forward and I believe in democracy .

More coming up...
__________________
DR-Z440E 00 - DR650SE 02.
Je ne suis Jamais a l'aise que lorsque je termine mon parcours, parlant d'Enduro bien sure. "DR650sEDDY".
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #85
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,808
First night in Laughlin at the Colorado Belle (their bad were horrible). Monday morning we started with a chilly temp. with no air in my tire.
at this point we were 2 riders down but Jeff went to meet up there. He's on KTM 520. Mark didn't feel good so he bailed out early morning he was on XR650.



If u don't like SAND or DEEP SAND, this ride is not for u. Or u can skip day 2.

Tom in the back flexing his biceps ha I said ok u gonna need these guns to control ur orange machine through that day.

We came from here...

and keep on going there ...


Riders started to flow in.
here's Jeff.


I am serious: this sh*t will kill u.


I have to say "Really" that I praise AZTom for his capabilities to handle that beast XR650 through out that terrains. I would have never make it with my 6fitty or i'll bail out the ride. Here's the planner/navigator Tom.

Right before we entered Mohave National reserve we took a break to modify Tom's front suspension and readjust our gear. Tom is on my left.

Entering Mohave Nation Reserve.


More coming up...
__________________
DR-Z440E 00 - DR650SE 02.
Je ne suis Jamais a l'aise que lorsque je termine mon parcours, parlant d'Enduro bien sure. "DR650sEDDY".
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #86
2 SPOT
wannabe
 
2 SPOT's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: valley of the sunstroke, AZ
Oddometer: 2,714
screw my wrist, i shoulda went
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #87
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
screw my wrist, i shoulda went
Well alrighty then I am repeating this until I get it right
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #88
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,540
A few random shots. Too busy hangin on
Gas at start. Mark from Sedona on left & his KLR that he man handles through some real stuff


Eddy ready to roll.

Glenn's bike. The real deal.

Refreshment time.

Tom trying to forget & ease the pain of his sore seat muscles/butt!


Sam & Glenn on day two. Sam is definitely having too much fun

Geoff down from UT with his beautiful rig.

Air in Air out I think he put in too much in & it ruined the motor
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #89
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,808
After crossing some narly deep sand trail we get to take a break riding on a hi speed dirt road. But that didn't last too long. Second stage of the day would look like this:
https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Un...p=7&sz=15&z=11
From balloon E to F is full of whoops and hell will start from F TO G.
Right before Kelso Cima rd.

Tom,

Jeff,


(on Google maps) that looks like this "Da hell sand road". Sand were soft and deep I had hard time take off and stopping the bike. As soon as u find a groove to cruise on (keep ur speed) the branches will slap ur face/arms neck etc... try to slow down u crash. Soooooooo ...
That would be at balloon G on the map, the deep sand hell road.

I found a way to get us out of there,

For us who were there we should be lucky to do 2.9 miles out of 10.6 of this nasty section before we hit Kelso Cima rd again.
https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Un...sz=15&t=m&z=11
After that section we were glad to hit the pavement.
on to Hotel via I-40 East.

More coming up...
__________________
DR-Z440E 00 - DR650SE 02.
Je ne suis Jamais a l'aise que lorsque je termine mon parcours, parlant d'Enduro bien sure. "DR650sEDDY".
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #90
mefadv
Studly Adventurer
 
mefadv's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wickenburg AZ
Oddometer: 722

Shit I'm tired just reading this report and seeing this SAND !
__________________
Mark, a Misplaced Farm Boy....
XR400, plated
mefadv is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014