ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
CPR Fabrication / Rottweiler; first class

Yes, I know this should probably go into the review or vendors experience section but given all the various threads on the CPR products and the recent rally, I thought no one would mind if I shared my experience and opinion here given the relevance to us KTM guys and timing of Chris' expansion of his product offering. I was in California on a business trip this week and took some extra time to visit Chris and his lovely wife at CPR. When I arrived, I was shocked at what I saw; a Singer Porsche 911 (sorry, I am a life-long 911 enthusiast and I've written articles for Total 911 magazine and various PCA publications so the Singer cars are very near and dear to my heart). - in any case, I can't say too much given the development work that Chris is performing on this car but the fact that he has been handed the task of developing crucial components for a $400,000 hand built and limited production vehicle was impressive and demonstrated Chris' capabilities and craftsmanship.
OK, onto the good stuff...I picked up my Rottweiler air intake system, the new doghouse storage compartment and quick-snap glove box solution (see other CPR threads or their site for full information and pictures). Having just arrived home on the red-eye, I haven't installed them yet but plan to over the next few days and I will try to provide pictures, experience feedback, etc at that time. For now however, I cannot say enough about how well designed and thoughtful these components are. The finish is second to none and they simply drip of quality construction - the sort of quality you would expect from OEM suppliers. Chris is an amazing and interesting guy - he races, lives and breathes KTMs and works his ass off to further his vision...this is exactly the kind of person I want to make sure succeeds as he will no doubt create many, many more goodies for willing buyers like us here. The intake system is well designed and has evolved from careful design and experience - Chris explained the lessons learned early-on throughout his intensive development cycles and the end result reflects that - it is top-notch. The storage solution is simple, effective and well packaged to aid in ease of installation, this is a perfect example of how "simple is the best engineering approach". As for the quick-release glove box mount, all I can say is WOW - beautifully designed and fabricated metal-work, great hardware and for those of us who have removed twelve bolts/screws the idea of reducing that effort into a single turn of a universal Dzuz fastener simply impresses me; this is a no-brainer. Lastly, Chris took time out of his busy day to show me his exhaust system that some of you saw at the rally - having had several KTM bikes with Akrapovic systems, the one thing I can comment on at this point is that I have yet to find Akrapovic's equal in terms of finish and quality - that is until now... this system is absolutely delicious from the piping and welds right down to his laser cut flanges and heat shield - I was in awe and almost salivating :)

On top of all this, Chris is an amazing guy, down to earth and more than happy to speak with people about bikes, cars, life and our shared love for these toys - he is clearly taking what was a passion-driven grassroots business into a bespoke and function-specific operation with no compromise to quality and design. He's is a fantastic guy with a ton of great ideas and the knowledge and experience to execute on his vision - thank you Chris (if you're reading this) for the tour, the great conversation and fantastic products. It was truly a pleasure meeting you and I look forward to catching up next time I'm back in California (hopefully within three weeks).

For anyone on the fence in deciding between CPR and alternatives, I can confidently state that you should look no further - this is the real deal, don't make a price-based decision; after all, you own a premium bike, not some knock-off, why wouldn't you apply the same thinking into its components?

Install details and pictures to follow in the coming days...
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Whew...I almost got a woody reading this Did Chris pay you or did you pay Chris Thanks for the report.
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Nah, no affiliation; I just get excited when I meet someone of his caliber and skills in this market which is so often filled with fly-by-night half-baked people who may have good intentions but zero capability and even less business acumen. Why do those types often hide behind the allure of good looking websites with no substance behind? Hey, don't get me wrong, I am highly supportive of people who start hobby businesses for the love of the work, etc but I just wish that they would be more honest about themselves - the internet has that ability for people to portray themselves in a way that falsely credentializes them - it's just such a treat to meet the real deal and be witness to the result of such skills.

Like I stated, KTMs and old Porsche 911s - both incredibly near and dear to my heart...
Old 09-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
I had the opportunity to meet Chris at the Rally, and admire his products. I would wholeheartedly echo Alon's sentiments about CPR/Rotweiler's products and knowledge. First class stuff, and I'm still developing my shopping list and the order of priority!!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
I am still waiting to find out the differences between ITG and CPR filters
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Forget that shopping list prioritization; just buy everything now - it's inevitable :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
I had the opportunity to meet Chris at the Rally, and admire his products. I would wholeheartedly echo Alon's sentiments about CPR/Rotweiler's products and knowledge. First class stuff, and I'm still developing my shopping list and the order of priority!!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Don't know, sorry...why do we care? Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Old 09-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
flynride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post

What's your problem??

Someone comments about how they like a company and a great product and your all hung up on the differences between two filter densities. You need to grow up.

Now that is off my chest, why is it that you chime on on every filter thread about the foam density and what the difference is between Rottweiler and ITG? Why don't you contribute something to the conversation rather than make snarky little bitch comments.

And....if you were that worried about the differences, why don't you buy both filters and post a report about the differences for all of us to understand???

If all else fails, refer to my first statement.

flynride screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 11:23 AM
flynride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,330
The difference to me between ITG and CPR is the support you get beyond the specifics of the product. At the heart of CPR, you have a passionate individual who's ALL IN. CPR spends the extra time developing proven products that are heavily based around extensive expertise. And the customer support is a valued "gold service" that goes way beyond the superior quality of their products.

That "gold" customer support to me is what separates the experimenteurs from the real deal in product design and development.

You can see by the passion involved in dealing with CPR that they'll be around supporting great products for the long haul. They are not a fly by night, and the way they made an appearance at the KTM Rally to help load maps for KTM 990 owners is a classic example of "gold" service in my book.

Chris is a core rider at the heart of his business, a KTM Adventure owner and a valuable aftermarket designer/ fabricator/ tuner to all of us privateers. I would hope that the LC8 community understands what they get with CPR, and embraces and supports aftermarket companies with talent and commitment like CPR.

But as they say... you can lead an extra ten horses to people, but whether the'll take the reins is another story.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
You sold me.

Passion is what brought me to the KTM brand to begin with. You can visit any other subcategory brand on this forum and will not find the same level of insanity and devotion.
The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWaffles View Post
You sold me.

Passion is what brought me to the KTM brand to begin with. You can visit any other subcategory brand on this forum and will not find the same level of insanity and devotion.
Well said...I am all in too, from my filter purchase to the Dog House, etc. Great company deserves the communities support.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,597
I purchased a CPR/Rottweiler filter set-up for my 950 SE from Chris at the rally. Came home and got it installed and everything went perfectly. Now doing a little testing with different jetting, but that's easy to change with this filter so no big deal!

Again, a great product from a knowledgable and passionate member of our community. His 990 with his products and new exhaust system were a thing of beauty. And don't even get me started on Mariel, his wife! There are a number of emoticons that would express this properly, but wouldn't be polite for people that I know personally, so I'll settle for .

Now Chris, get a doghouse for us carbureted guys!

Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

You know what? If I had any idea that my comments would incite a fight over this filter versus that, I would have just kept my mouth shut but I believe in giving as much as getting and I believe that is precisely what a forum like this is all about. I've owned a number of KTMs over the years and the value of the combined knowledge and experience of the folks here is simply priceless. I have had so much help with trivial and major issues and decisions - I always do my best to give something back and pay it forward whenever I can. I'm glad to hear that my opinion and experience of Chris and CPR seems synonymous with those of us who have interacted with him.

Anyhow, if someone doesn't like what I have to say, I would hope for and expect that you guys would tell me to piss off or that I'm just talking out of my ass - I am man enough to know when I need to be schooled and to be perfectly honest, I can use a decent ass-kicking once in a while to keep me honest :)
Old 09-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
ADV Dave
Gear up

Oddometer: 15
alongat, you couldnt be more correct. this thread should certainly stay on track and i believe what your witnessing is echoing your sentiments. what you may not know is that the clown (sorry) in post #5 has attempted to sabotage nearly every positive thread on cpr and i believe due to the positive nature of your comments, the backlash on this guy had to happen here. its was just time.

thank you again for your contribution here. this kind of effort is rare and refreshing and if i already hadnt had nearly everthing they make, i would certainly get it now.
ADV Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
As a somewhat bored reader and user of one of Chris's products, these rah-rah threads are tiresome. I love seeing objective product reviews and real time experience of our vendor threads, and there's plenty of it here.

Please, please, please take the character witness stuff back to vendors. For the love of doG. My inbox can take no more.

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 01:16 PM
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote