User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2013, 04:21 AM   #136
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 956
Bluhduh Getting Soggy

Those blokes were simply out of fuel, and how pleased were they that I had stopped?!

They pulled out an old drinks bottle and had my fuel pipe off in seconds!

back to their moped- amazed that I wouldn't take any money for the fuel they had taken
They headed off, with a cheery wave and...

squeezing on with the hatted one's sister and her basket of shopping which was somehow crammed in between his knees.

The rain was heavy and made the rest of the day a bit grim for riding, I eventually stopped at a town which promised beach bungalows by the name of Tropicana (oh those days of Wham), but it didn't look very tropical, even when the deluge had stopped pouring

Down on the beach they were bringing in the day's catch

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:08 AM   #137
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb The East Coast

The day started peacefully enough, with watching this guy in the water, up to his neck in the lily pads

I'm not sure exactly what he was doing

Pulling up handfuls of roots and draping them over his makeshift raft.

The first river crossing of the day, with a mechanised barc

Watching what appeared to be the whole village in the water perilously close to the massive breakers

getting the fish in

Some dirt tracks (no tarmac for a while- or at least some days...no one ever seems sure) these were fun to ride

Then the first of the river crossings where the barc (barge) didn't appear to be operating

refreshments were on hand for those waiting

I was most disappointed to find that they had fish in them and so was she to find that I didn't eat fish as there were no other customers

However, there was an alternative to the barc

Yep, the good old double pirogue

although on closer inspection, this one didn't appear very seaworthy

I held my breath as they heaved Suzi onto it

Though actually, once we got going it didn't seem too bad

Tiffany's youtube video

Tiffany screwed with this post 11-23-2013 at 05:14 AM
Old 11-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #138
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 I Dropped Her

Just to prove there are some bridges in Madagascar

It was a day of dirt and sand, the hours went by and the heat built up- I got tired and the inevitable happened

Suzi had a lie down

I had a few attempts at heaving her back up

In the end I had to take the bags off.

I liked the look of this burnt tree

The ultimate shadow puppet

The sand turned to dirt and I out on a bit of speed, I was hoping to reach a town for the night so that I could have a beer,

Note to self - I've got to stop pulling the Daisy Duck face when I'm riding

and then there it was, one more river to cross (I crossed four in total today, but I thought you wouldn't appreciate too many river crossings!)

these guys just really didn't seem to know what they were doing. So I showed them pictures on my camera from other pirogue crossings and so they started to rope these two together

They went a bit more fancy than Suzi and I are used to, with large poles holding the two pirogues together

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 11-24-2013, 03:17 AM   #139
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Whoops

The previous day's idyllic looking final pirogue ride was not the best as the guys succeeded in dislodging the fuel pipe that leads out of the fuel tank on the left side. This mean that fro the whole of the pirogue journey one of them sat there with his thumb over it to prevent petrol pouring out.
The scene on the opposite bank was comical as they attempted to unload whilst one person still had his thumb on it and then they pushed Thelma along the track to a mechanic's house

Don't ask me why it takes four of them when I can easily push the bike on my own. They were all a bit subdued and concerned about what my reaction would be about the damage to Suzi.
The mechanic wasn't far away - he looks to be about 19 years old and operates out of his mother's front yard- a bit al fresco and casual but then this is Africa.

He got to work and seemed quite proficient so I left him to it- I had spotted a hotel not far away, and I was sweating like a pig all I could think was- room, cold shower - freshen up.

I returned to find the mechanic just finishing off, with the usual posse of friends all hanging around, what you can't see in this photo are the five or six younger lads also clustered and watching.

All sorted and no longer leaking. He charged me 5,000 Ariary (1.66).

Parking the bike at the hotel I went off in search of cold beer - maybe I'll push the boat out and have two!!
There is always a slightly shocked response when I walk into a Bar over here - a woman on her own AND she's a foreigner. Especially in the out of the way places where they have very few foreigners, which this town was. But I never have any problems, and the beer is good over here.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 11-24-2013, 03:23 AM   #140
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Question a few words

Excuse the typos but the edit function doesn't seem to be working properly - I get a blank screen when I try to edit. That will teach me to proof read properly before I hit the submit button!
Though in my defence, the Internet connection is not foolproof and has cut out a couple of times- as did the power in this half of the town I'm in. Which means I just think, get it done and send, then double check once it has uploaded safely.

Talking of which, is sandalscout still around? My computer will no longer switch off or re-start. It sort of stutters and then just ignores the command, it's been like that for a week.
And I can't access the Task Manager either, Ctrl Alt Del doesn't do anything.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 11-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #141
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
Talking of which, is sandalscout still around? My computer will no longer switch off or re-start. It sort of stutters and then just ignores the command, it's been like that for a week.
haha, yes, I am, still very much enjoying this read!

Can you access a command line? Click Start, then Run and enter "command" and press enter. This should bring up a DOS window that will allow you to enter commands manually. You can enter "shutdown -s" and this will (hopefully) shutdown the computer. If this does nothing, try "shutdown -f" to FORCE a shutdown. You may also be able to launch the taskmanager from the command line also, using the command "taskmgr".

I've seen task manager not launch before, but not shutting down is a new one for me, or at least not one I remember coming across.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #142
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Question hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
haha, yes, I am, still very much enjoying this read!

Can you access a command line? Click Start, then Run and enter "command" and press enter. This should bring up a DOS window that will allow you to enter commands manually. You can enter "shutdown -s" and this will (hopefully) shutdown the computer. If this does nothing, try "shutdown -f" to FORCE a shutdown. You may also be able to launch the taskmanager from the command line also, using the command "taskmgr".

I've seen task manager not launch before, but not shutting down is a new one for me, or at least not one I remember coming across.
Don't laugh, but I can't find the Run bit
I click Start- that's just the round flag thing in the bottom left corner isn't it? where is Run?

sorry to be a pain
and for the rest of you - I am really exposing my ignorance here aren't I?! I'm also a bit concerned that if I force a shutdown - maybe I won't be able to start my computer again...

There's a chance I'm heading out of town today- into the jungles of north east Madagascar where Franck and his group were riding (if you're following Franck's RR). So perhaps no Internet for a while, so if there's radio silence, that will be why.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 11-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #143
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,108
Quote:

Try Ctrl-Shift-Esc, too. That goes straight to Task Manager. (when the computer is working properly)
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #144
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,108
Quote:
Excuse the typos but the edit function doesn't seem to be working properly - I get a blank screen when I try to edit.
That's a glitch on the site lately, probably not related to the problem with the computer.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #145
gulfcstrdr
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Don't laugh, but I can't find the Run bit
I click Start- that's just the round flag thing in the bottom left corner isn't it? where is Run?
If you're running windows 7 there may not be a run option. Instead there is a text entry box with a magnifying glass. Enter "command" and press enter from there. Hope that works for you.
gulfcstrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #146
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcstrdr View Post
If you're running windows 7 there may not be a run option. Instead there is a text entry box with a magnifying glass. Enter "command" and press enter from there. Hope that works for you.
Yes, this exactly.... Sorry, I run a mixed bag of OSes and forgot that about Windows 7, I've been living in Linux more lately. Klay's suggestion of Ctrl-Shift-Esc is a great test also.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #147
Franck B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
I was sweating like a pig all I could think was- room, cold shower - freshen up..
Hi Tiffany
I'm wondering how you can stand riding with a jacket there. I just had my summer motocross shirt and t-shirt, it was about all I could stand on my skin there.
It would be cool if you tell where you were, to follow your trip... it extends mine nicely in my imagination
Ride safe!
Franck
Franck B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:01 AM   #148
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Cheers

First of all, thanks for all the help and advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Try Ctrl-Shift-Esc, too. That goes straight to Task Manager. (when the computer is working properly)
I've tried that but also not working...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
That's a glitch on the site lately, probably not related to the problem with the computer.
that's good to know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcstrdr View Post
I'll give that a try, in a cybercafe at the moment, easier than going and getting my little computer.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 11-30-2013, 01:09 AM   #149
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck B View Post
Hi Tiffany
I'm wondering how you can stand riding with a jacket there. I just had my summer motocross shirt and t-shirt, it was about all I could stand on my skin there.
It would be cool if you tell where you were, to follow your trip... it extends mine nicely in my imagination
Ride safe!
Franck
Hi Franck
I sometimes wonder how I cope as well There are two schools of thought about bikre travel in hot places and one of them reckons covered skin is cooler than uncovered/mesh.
As I'm travelling all over the country from mountains to lowlands, there are big variations in temperature, which means needing a proper jacket for the colder times and believe me, especially when it was raining in the hills it was pretty cold (I had my thermals on as well) I don't have the space to carry different bike gear for different climates over the several months I'm here.
So I just get hot
Actually I've got a Macna jacket, apart from America last summer, it's the first time I've tested it and it has been great, good vents, mesh front, zip out layers for warmth and waterproof, which also fold away very small to fitin the luggage- a BIG thumbs up from me for Macna

And I'm hoping to post a map of my route soon.
those latest pictures are from the East coast around the Nosy Varika/Mananjary area.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 12-01-2013, 03:23 AM   #150
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Eek Mud Looming

Having checked that the repair was holding, the next morning I filled the fuel tank - yet again it's dispensed in old plastic bottles kept in a back room. This shop is actually attached to the hotel I stayed in, so I didn't have to go far

There as a choice of routes out of town, this one appeared to belittle more than a sandy path through the trees

So I went the other way...oh dear is all I can say.
It started well enough

And there was even some wildlife action, as I almost ran over this snake, which was so engrossed in swallowing a frog that it ignored me

The track was pretty muddy and wet at times

Tiffany's youtube video