User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #181
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 950
Talking Where the Hell Am I?

I'm not a natural with computers (incidentally after 4 weeks of not being able to shutdown my pc it has now suddenly started to let me do it again).
However as several people have asked me where I am and what am I doing, mainly my parents (!), I have managed to do a map/picture thing to give you all an idea.

The first part of this trip I did a loop through the west and east coasts, part of that was the three week section with my sister, the Loud Librarian.

I then made a plan (something that is a bit alien to me) and this is what I'm up to

Tiffany's Plan

My current location on the RR where I'm sleeping in the tent is about three quarters of the way down that purple line on the east coast.

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #182
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Thanks for the update Tiffany, was wondering where or what you where up to. I read your article in BMW owners news with the BMW GS dry suit, good job on that! You sure do get around, keep up the good work!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #183
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgee View Post
Thanks for the update Tiffany, was wondering where or what you where up to. I read your article in BMW owners news with the BMW GS dry suit, good job on that! You sure do get around, keep up the good work!
Thanks for that, I wrote the review quite some time ago and wondered when it would appear. Now I've got to find out if the MOA will send me a copy! Apparently there is also a feature in this month's Adventure Rider magazine which has some pictures of me and my travels.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 12-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #184
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Homing In

For those who worry about me being on the road in these remote places on my own, you'll be pleased to hear that I'm now safely home and getting ready for Christmas with all the family.

Naturally the Ride Report will continue, in the meantime...

I wish you all a happy and peaceful festive season, wherever you are and however you celebrate.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 12-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #185
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,996
Merry Christmas!
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #186
Hollyr
Vesterislendingur

Oddometer: 587
Merry Christmas, Tiffany. If you need copies of the review I could save my copy. I am now way too tempted to get that suit!
Old 12-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #187
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,187
Happy Holidays
05-GS- Rock Red 88k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #188
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh Happy Holidays

It was a great Christmas with my brothers, sisters, extended family and friends at my parents' house.
My ADV Secret Santa present arrived on Christmas Eve - hurray and I had a lot of fun opening it. The day after Christmas, I was out in the garden with my Dad helping him to replenish his log pile - no I didn't get the chainsaw for Christmas (I got mine two years ago and it's kept at my house but if I had known we'd be sawing wood I would have brought it over and had a chainsaw duel with my Dad), however I AM wearing my Secret Santa hat

Many thanks for the Christmas wishes, I hope you all had a good one.
And now on with the RR - as you know I'm safely home, you'll know it all ended well....sort of!!

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 12-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #189
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Hunting for Breakfast

So, where was I?

that's right, wild camping in the middle of nowhere with this little fellow for company inside my tent (I've been warned not to lick them)

It poured with rain for half the night, but luckily it was dry when I got up

Time to savour the morning

Then take the tent down, pack up, do my hair...

and head south

I 'd only had minimal breakfast, so stopped at the first village I saw - maybe 10 miles of trails from my start point, I asked around who was serving tea and was introduced to this old lady

She was sat on her verandah dispensing tea to the villagers in chipped enamel mugs for the princely sum of 2 pence.

I sat down on the soggy concrete and joined her. A neighbour supplied the "doughnuts". The mud, sheet rock and pouring rain from yesterday was but a faint memory as I enjoyed the food, drink and some company.

Tiffany's youtube video

Tiffany screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 01:16 PM
Old 01-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #190
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Life on the Road

I'm still on the road of many river crossings, and so shortly after leaving the village I wasn't too surprised to find myself at the edge of another river. looking across, I watched as some pirogues paddled along together, thi ia unusual.

looking closer I realised that they had some zebu swimming between them and were trying to guide them using the boats to get to the other side of the river.

I had the usual ferry crossing and then had another sheet of rock to ride across, this one was going uphill, steeply

In the interests of blog followers, I made myself ftop a shot way up it to get photos for you all

Yes, steep and with a sprinling of sand as well with a light shower of rain -another teeth gritting moment. My dentist has often asked about me clenching my teeth and I had to admit that it's part of my job description

At the top was quite a large village which I wasn't expecting, i then found out it was the village I had been hoping to stay at last night but thought I had somehow missed. well it's nice to know that my observation skills were OK, but not so nice to realise that I had an extra 30kms added onto my journey and in these conditions that's a lot.

I stopped and as I wanted to get some fuel and oil, asked for assistance. In these more remote villages, the Headman or fokolony is the main point of contact and sure enough someone scurried off to get him, here he is standing next to Suzi as the local school children file past (notice the typical french style school overalls)

He was a charming and friendly man who spoke good french and after a short wait, three litres of fuel in coke bottles and a small rum bottle with oil in it were produced.
He then requested that I take a picture of his wife and her friend, I htink his wife is the one on the right.

For some reason Princess Leia hair is a major trend amongst the women of Madgascar.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 01-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #191
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,637
Cheeta-skin boots ???

Old 01-08-2014, 12:07 AM   #192
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Travelling

The rum bottle of engine oil strapped on the bike I said goodbye to the villagers, who waved me off as I left,

I wasnt surprised to find that just down the road was another ferry. There was a line of Lorries waiting on the far bank and I could see why, the regular barge ferry was obviously damaged and being repaired. In the meantime, any vehicle less than a ton (Suzi and I just about fit that category) was being taken across on a makeshift barge powered by hand using a rope attached to both banks.

In the picture you can see a pirogue- this one is paddled by a woman, only the second time Id seen a woman paddling.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 01-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #193
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh It Stopped Raining

Back to tropical style vegetation, after the moorlands I'd been on for quite a while the previous day, I attempted a self-timed photo to cross this pipe and water obstacle

Then as I rode it, two lads turned up and one of them kindly agreed to take a picture- there is often a fair amount of wariness amongst people I'm meeting in this isolated area so it's not a given that they'll take a picture.

mountains had appeared on the horizon.

While waiting my erstwhile photographer and his mate arrived and as a thank you for taking the photo I let them sit on the bike

And in true teenage style, they took photos of each other posing

It's surprising how many people have got mobile phones, these have got cameras on them.

I could have done with their help a bit further on; the river was deep, with a sinking mud feel to it. To be on the safe side I carried the bags through on my shoulder- it was quite a walk

Which made me feel like an intrepid explorer making my way through the undergrowth with the water up to mid-thigh at times

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 01-08-2014, 01:25 AM   #194
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,012
just found this wonderful RR .. glad you made it back safe!
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #195
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
Tiffany,
I nominate one of the shots of you carrying your bags across the river as front page material. That's adventure, for sure! Glad you made it through! When you finish this report will you give us a teaser as to where you might go next?
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote