User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #256
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 951
Thumb The north west

OK, you're in luck I'm unable to duplicate the pics etc to paste elsewhere so you guys get my undivided attention (or at least until I have to go and fill my hot water bottle ready for bed)

Another doughnut breakfast stop

and I followed the zebu out of town

actually I was a bit wary of him as he was just wandering the road on his own, bellowing away. I'm always wary with animals, especially those that are bigger than me.

I stopped for a comfort break behind a tree, and heard a scuttling sound. Looking upwards, I saw this climbing away from me

I'm not sure who was more startled, me or him.

The sun was setting and the moon had risen when I reached the village of Antsohihy

It might not look very promising

But I received a warm welcome and a cold beer at chez Marie so I was happy.

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #257
Motorrev
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Tiffnay,
Always admire you photos. It takes some time to stop and set up for a self photo and I was wondering if you used one of those small rubber like tripods or just counted on finding something to set your camera on? They are always good and I think we all appreciate the time you take to do these shots.
Take care,
Bob
Motorrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:04 AM   #258
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh Technical Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorrev View Post
Tiffnay,
Always admire you photos. It takes some time to stop and set up for a self photo and I was wondering if you used one of those small rubber like tripods or just counted on finding something to set your camera on? They are always good and I think we all appreciate the time you take to do these shots.
Take care,
Bob
Hi Bob,
It's not very rubbery - just a small plastic one- cheap from Office Depot about three years ago.
Here it is in action...

or the alternative view, which makes it look like the legs extend to 5 feet long (just shadow effect at sunrise)

And thank you for the appreciation, every journey there are a number of times when I'm struggling with some of the riding due to difficult conditions, and all I can think of of is how I'm going to get through the next 200 yards, then the little gremlin on my shoulder says "what about the guys at ADV? They'd like to see this".
On the occasions that the gremlin wins out... I stop the bike get the camera out, find a spot to set it up and then ride past the camera, stop, check the picture, curse loudly because it's only caught the rear tyre - debate with myself the possibility of being able to turn the bike around in the mud/sand/dust to turn back and repeat the process. So, yes, it IS nice to have the appreciation, but also I know how boring a Ride Report can be with just pictures of a stationary bike on a trail... the curse of the solo traveller.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 02-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #259
Motorrev
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Tiffany,
Thanks for the photography info. You have a lot of patience when taking photos, thats what makes your reports so good. Something I need more of.
Bob
Motorrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:58 AM   #260
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Other Road Users

Crossing the road can be a hazardous experience in Madagascar, just look at this little guy

I don't think he had a happy ending. Meanwhile, at the other end of the village, these guys were also having a few problems

for those of a nervous disposition, don't look up

but then again, do you really want to look down?

I went on foot to get a closer look (I'd nearly run it over), and then it coiled like this...

yep, looks like it's about to strike and I'm the target! A dignified retreat by me.
Meanwhile, the zebu were doing an outflanking manoeuvre and going off-road to get back to their village.

I'd begun to leave the lush greeness behind, my surroundings were looking drier by the mile

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 02-27-2014, 06:07 AM   #261
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Nosy Be

Time to head off-shore for a while, the island in the distance looks inviting, I wonder if this boat can take me...

Just joking (well only a bit - this is Madagascar after all), I was directed to this boat which acts as a general purpose ferry

the island looks like paradise

not too many people around

The inevitable lemurs hanging around as well

The ground is pink

not sure what they are, but the blossom is gorgeous and after the arid landscape on the mainland, this was a nice change.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 02-27-2014, 06:19 AM   #262
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Nosy Be 2

I head down to the village

and get shown around, including being introduced to the local snake who is also a tourist attraction

and a giant tortoise

I love seeing tropical fruit growing.

A scuttling in the bush and I saw this chameleon

and then a milipede appeared

that picture doesn't do it any justice as it's quite a good size, I realise that I need to take things a step further to show the size of it

Ever since the poisoned centipede bite (see page 4 of this RR), I've been a bit wary of multi-legged creatures.

Riding across the island, I have a chuckle at the roadside kilometre posts

The local hairdresser tried to tempt me in for a new style- her poster was quite amusing

I find the perfect quiet place to stay, the main action is the washing drying on the beach

How to iron a bedspread, Malagasy-style

Tiffany's youtube video

Tiffany screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 06:25 AM
Old 02-27-2014, 06:38 AM   #263
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Did you say shark?!

I head out for a day of scuba diving with these guys

I'm putting on a brave smile as the swell feels a bit choppy (I'm wearing my anti-nausea bands)

I have a couple of good dives and see a snake, octopi and lots of fish. But the best is yet to come, in distance we see seabirds diving and we go closer to see what is going on

There's something big in the water
VERY BIG

I jump in

and I'm not disappointed

It's a whale shark - the biggest fish in the oceans

soon after that picture, it swam towards me and at the last moment dived under me.

- I can't describe how excited I am. My face is one big grin as I follow it underwater

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 02-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #264
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
WOW! Just when I think a Tiffany report can't get any more exciting, after she's slogged through way too many kilometers of mud, endured umpteen water crossings and bike naps, and is finally settling down for some chill by the ocean.....you go and throw a whale shark into the mix! So cool you got so close to one!

Blader54 screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 10:57 AM Reason: throw nicht through
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #265
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 436
Wow, swimming with a whale shark. I think you should lock down a 'motorcycle nature survival' show on bbc or something. Think Long way around + david attenborough + bear grylls.
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #266
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
WOW! Just when I think a Tiffany report can't get any more exciting, after she's slogged through way too many kilometers of mud, endured umpteen water crossings and bike naps, and is finally settling down for some chill by the ocean.....you go and through a whale shark into the mix! So cool you got so close to one!
It was such an incredible experience, I'm still getting goose pimples thinking about it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman View Post
Wow, swimming with a whale shark. I think you should lock down a 'motorcycle nature survival' show on bbc or something. Think Long way around + david attenborough + bear grylls.
find a TV producer and sell them the idea - I've got a nice idea for my next trip, but I've got a lot of money to save up first.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 02-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #267
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,175
I'm not positive, but I think that snake is a puff adder.... They are extremely dangerous snakes and are indigenous to Madagascar. I'd give them a much wider berth personally. They're known to have one of the fastest strikes in the animal kingdom and can easily cause death in a human.

Just an FYI.

The whale shark however... That looks awesome!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:04 AM   #268
kwh
Fat Hairy Git

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
find a TV producer and sell them the idea - I've got a nice idea for my next trip, but I've got a lot of money to save up first.

You need to draw yourself to the attention of one of those action camera manufacturers, they love giving their kit to people doing exciting things in exciting places to make Youtube or Vimeo movies with it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #269
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Eh? Snakes Alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
I'm not positive, but I think that snake is a puff adder.... They are extremely dangerous snakes and are indigenous to Madagascar. I'd give them a much wider berth personally. They're known to have one of the fastest strikes in the animal kingdom and can easily cause death in a human.

Just an FYI.

The whale shark however... That looks awesome!
By Mum wants to know "Are you referring to the snake on the road or...the one wrapped around my neck"?

I was under the impression that there is nothing deadly in Madagascar - would a puff adder's bite kill me?

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 02-28-2014, 01:01 AM   #270
kwh
Fat Hairy Git

Oddometer: 226
Mapless in Madagascar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitis_arietans

So, if that is what it is, then yes!

Edited to add the relevant bit...

"The fatality rate highly depends on the severity of the bites and some other factors. Deaths can be exceptional and probably occur in less than 10% of all untreated cases (usually in 2–4 days from complications following blood volume deficit and a disseminated intravascular coagulopathy), although some reports show that severe envenomations have a 52% mortality rate.[2][15] Most fatalities are associated with poor clinical management and neglect.[4][6]"
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote