Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #331
Motardca
Motardca

Oddometer: 19
Nakusp

Hi Rene,
we met you in Nakusp at the HU Rally in August. Congrats to the trip and the very interesting report, I would like to talk to you in person once you are back in BC.
Say hi to Liliane
Nik and Ronnie on 650GS
Motardca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:38 AM   #332
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Bluhduh Gas

Waited 2 hours today outside of San Antonio de Oeste for gas. It was the first day back after a long weekend. I got battered by heat and wind for another 500 and some km.

It went up to 37C yesterday.

495 yesterday and 740 today. I am in Bahia Blanca. Tomorrow I reach Buenos Aires.

Nice camping spot in Puerto Madryn

Patagonia and the ensuing Pampas is one vast neighbourhood. Undeniably there must be a certain amount of self punishment involved. It is pretty crazy. Beautiful in its own way but pretty insane, miles after miles of vastness, heat and wind.

For the last two days I have maintained an average moving speed of 118.5 kph. Just emptying one tank after the next. 2 full days of consecutive Pink Floyd and Rush, back to back the entire discography.

There has to be something wrong with me...

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:40 AM   #333
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Wink One more time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Man Bass View Post
I keep repeating myself.

What a journey, what a report.

Felt like being there too!

Thanks!
Nothing wrong with repetition

The Southern Episode
Old 03-05-2014, 03:42 AM   #334
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Laugh You got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motardca View Post
Hi Rene,
we met you in Nakusp at the HU Rally in August. Congrats to the trip and the very interesting report, I would like to talk to you in person once you are back in BC.
Say hi to Liliane
Nik and Ronnie on 650GS

Maybe we need to take a ride to Vernon sometime this summer

The Southern Episode
Old 03-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #335
YetiHunter
2 Wheels & Flyrod

Oddometer: 55
BC Party

I'm guessing you have more than a few inmate fans in BC. We should throw you a party when you get back. First round is on me.
YetiHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #336
arjones
Roads and Waves

Oddometer: 176
Cool2 Hi there!

Just to say I'm here and glad you are on your way to meet your brave Jackie again.
Also to say I'm happy to see your reports about the wind aren't that scary... and that's because I thought I could have died that day between Comandante Luis Peidra Buena and Rio Gallegos on my way down south two years ago. The most terrifying moment as a biker and a traveller in my life. Seriously, I'm happy you didn't get hammered by the winds coming down the Andes as I did. I know because otherwise you should have posted here... no joke.
Anyways, I guess you remember as your journey was at the beginning I invited you guys to see my country and offered my place as yours. Well, guess what? The offer is still there! So, PM me if it's the case to venture in Brasil at some point. Awesome trip brother... missed some of the early entries about how you see and feel this part of the world but I guess between the lack of good connection and missing Jackie you got short on words?
Best of luck and enjoy Buenos Aires. I have a feeling you gonna like it.
arjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #337
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Talking Beer Beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiHunter View Post
I'm guessing you have more than a few inmate fans in BC. We should throw you a party when you get back. First round is on me.
Did somebody say free beer ??. I have to be moved in by early June, so just a few short months to move out of the Island and find a plave in YVR.

You're on.

The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 03-11-2014 at 10:33 PM
Old 03-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #338
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Wicked Lots to say yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjones View Post
Just to say I'm here and glad you are on your way to meet your brave Jackie again.
Also to say I'm happy to see your reports about the wind aren't that scary... and that's because I thought I could have died that day between Comandante Luis Peidra Buena and Rio Gallegos on my way down south two years ago. The most terrifying moment as a biker and a traveller in my life. Seriously, I'm happy you didn't get hammered by the winds coming down the Andes as I did. I know because otherwise you should have posted here... no joke.
Anyways, I guess you remember as your journey was at the beginning I invited you guys to see my country and offered my place as yours. Well, guess what? The offer is still there! So, PM me if it's the case to venture in Brasil at some point. Awesome trip brother... missed some of the early entries about how you see and feel this part of the world but I guess between the lack of good connection and missing Jackie you got short on words?
Best of luck and enjoy Buenos Aires. I have a feeling you gonna like it.
Just made it to Buenos Aires. Found a nice hostal on Avenida Mayo for the next 10 days so I have time to organize shipping the bike home and other petty stuff related to reality.

Does not look like Jackie will be joining Valentino. Between spring break in N.A. and high season-ish in S.A. all the flights are full and some overbooked so looks like I'm on my own until I return home. That's the joy of flying stand by, you can't win every hand.

The wind southbound was really nothing more than an afterthought. Leaving Ushuaia after the Garibaldi pass was pretty windy but ok. Then after San Sebastian I was unsure if I should sit on the bike and surrender control on the unpaved road or stand up and make like a sail so the trucks could run me down. Not fun but Valentino was on the job

Then came the long stretches of Patagonia, and some of it was ahem!! Windy, a nice lean angle against, but doable. The most dangerous parts, and I am not using that word lightly were when the incoming traffic, cars mostly, miscalculated their passing of trucks and forced me way to the right to avoid them; not fun with the wind pushing and turbulence. Happened a good dozen time. All good for the story book now.

Re. Brasil, it is an offer I can't refuse and when the time is right you will have both of us knocking on your door, be careful what you ask for .

Thanks for the invite.

I have lots to say about a lot; if anything I can't keep my mouth shut for very long. As more time will be afforded I will make my way back to the post-Bolivia part of the trip.

Have no fear lots of pontificating yet to come. Thanks to all of you for lending a sympathetic ear.

More to come...

The Southern Episode
Old 03-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #339
YetiHunter
2 Wheels & Flyrod

Oddometer: 55
Details

Look forward to hearing your post trip thoughts

If you need any local help on this end with shipment and details - just ask
YetiHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:52 AM   #340
SteveTheLocal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Moving to "The Continent"

...is like going over to the Dark Side! I hope you're leaving Jacquie on The Island?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #341
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Thumb Thanks for the offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiHunter View Post
Look forward to hearing your post trip thoughts

If you need any local help on this end with shipment and details - just ask
I just left Angela at the airport, she is off on Thursday or Friday for Seattle, it was cheaper than Vancouver by a few hundred bucks.

See you on the dark side in a couple of month

The Southern Episode
Old 03-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #342
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Talking Well you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTheLocal View Post
...is like going over to the Dark Side! I hope you're leaving Jacquie on The Island?
She would not go for it Steve, she's more the type:

"Where you go I go, If you fall I fall...." you know the type right?

Hope your ride north is going well

The Southern Episode
Old 03-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #343
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Cry Last day

All of us that ride, that long waited trip to Baja, the TAT, a week in the Rockies, a weekend with some buddies to that place we only know about, an afternoon ride through the fall colours, around the world in six years or more. All of us that ride come to a point where it ends, when you put the side stand down with a heavy heart, you let out a long sight, and deep down inside you know it has come to and end.

The melancholy sets in, the images flash back, your inner voice is strong, you smile and often cry... Wow it was an amazing time, what a ride it was, wish I could go on, just a bit more, just a bit more, just a little bit more...

Today was that kind of a day, the last day. Rode Angela 40 km from the hostel to Ezeiza, last bit of lane splitting, last Southern American stretch so she could be palletized and shrunk, and strapped and bubble wrapped, and scanned and tagged. Sent deep in the belly of a Boieng 747, where in 8 hours, at .85 Mach, Alt 30,000 ft, she would fly the continent North, the Americas back North, way up there. 30476 km in 5 months and 21 days reduced and compressed to a few hours in the air.

Ainsi va la vie.

The last 3000 km from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires, alone in my helmet, my thoughts only interrupted by the wind or some favourite tune. Alone with the winds and the horizons; I had the chance to do something I never really did on our last long trip; let the end seep in and away, in and away at a pace that granted me time and distance to realize that, for now, its over. Again my reality is about to change. Change is good, it reminds you that you're alive, just like love and friendship, just like hate and sorrow, just like a smile. As the wind hollered and my recurring riding cramp beckoned me to loosen my grip on the handlebar, despite the continuously unrelenting winds, despite the unceasing gusts that wafted me without mercy into the incoming lane, I smiled. Not a grin, or a smirk, I beamed, simpered, laughed my head off; life is good and it can only get better. No matter what the future holds the ride is mine, will be mine to cherish for the rest of my days....

It went something like this

Don't worry now that I am chronologically dead, I can randomly go back and take you through what was missed between San Pedro de Atacama and Buenos Aires.

Write you soon...

The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 03-11-2014 at 10:35 PM
Old 03-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #344
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
A very worthy ride report...great pix and words too!

From the beginning:

AdventurePoser screwed with this post 03-12-2014 at 01:54 PM
AdventurePoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #345
ElReyDelSofa
Desubicado

Oddometer: 120
René,

Happy for you to see the journey coming to a completion, I am sure you are planning your next one already. Can't wait to hear what it will be.

I just looked up the etymology of your name, René; to quote Wikipedia "born again or reborn in French". A very appropriate name for you I think.

Looking forward to more of your thoughts on the journey, and my only remaining question is; What will I do at work now, that I no longer have your ride report to follow?

Suerte,

Martín