Old 11-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #106
arjones
Roads and Waves

Oddometer: 174
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post
arjones,

If not we might just have to fly down and visit some other time; I subscribe to the marry-me fly-free program
Wisdom on your trip's perspective, as on your choice of marriage...

Looking forward for more!

Arjones.

P.S.: of course my invitation extends beyond the vehicle of your arrival over here. At some point I'm gonna send you a PM with some coordinates so you can do a little search about my place and decide when and how you gonna show up... Cheers!

arjones screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 12:21 PM Reason: minor typing correction...
arjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #107
Fat Man Bass
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Are you now with the 2 of you or still with 3?

Beautiful report, but don't make it too "shrinky"...

What I liked was the reverse road construction.

Reminds me of a story here.
I was building a new office and it was raining and storming.
My constructor told me there was a lot of wind.
I replied that I saw a lot of big fans along the road and I just could not understand why they put those things on when it storms and we do not need them, while they leave them off when it is hot and we are in deep need for ventilation.
He did not understand me...

Enjoy the ride.

Are you back on time for my ski vacation?

René van Glabbeek
The Netherlands

ST1300 ABS 2006 Pan European Black metallic
ST1300 ABS 2004 Pan American Blue
Fat Man Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #108
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Cool2 Just the two of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Man Bass View Post

He did not understand me...

Enjoy the ride.

Are you back on time for my ski vacation?
Yes it is just the two of us since Zipolite, Mx. Our travel companion had a change of heart and decided to return home.

Ok, I'll reduce the "shrinkage" a bit

We entered Costa Rica today, by far the longest crossing of the trip, they sure like their stamps and signatures and little pieces of paper with scribbles on them.

We met two Nederlanders at the border, Edwin and Miriam, it was fun to have company for the wait.

If I find their blogs, I'll post link here.

The blue room still has your name on it, we will be back home in April.

More later

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 07:11 PM
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #109
De Buurman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Yes it is just the two of us since Zipolite, Mx. Our travel companion had a change of heart and decided to return home.

Ok, I'll reduce the "shrinkage" a bit

We entered Costa Rica today, by far the longest crossing of the trip, they sure like their stamps and signatures and little pieces of paper with scribbles on them.

We met two Nederlanders at the border, Edwin and Miriam, it was fun to have company for the wait.

< Here was a picture >

If I find their blogs, I'll post link here.

The blue room still has your name on it, we will be back home in April.

More later

Hi there ac_elite,

No need for you to post the link, because I (Edwin) have found your blog
Our blog: www.ridingtheamericas.nl (It's in Dutch... but: http://translate.google.com/translat...theamericas.nl )

It was very nice to have some company from nice people wile we were trying to get in to Costa Rica!

Did you make your way to the hostel you wanted to go to?

We did make it to the lodge/resort we talked where we wanted to go and are now enjoying some relaxation

Greetings and see you!
De Buurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #110
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Question Where are you exactly

We are in Playa Coco and the beach is ok but far from outstanding. We are just staying one more day, send me a link or lat/long. Is the place nice? How is the beach?

We are thinking of heading to Samara next...

The Southern Episode
Old 11-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #111
De Buurman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
The beach here is nice, but not very big, it's surrounded by beach like coast with large rock formations. We've walked around the beach for a while today and did some swimming, but it's all about the same here (lots of rocky stuff).
[[EDIT: there is a nice sandy beach to, apperantly we've walked to the wrong side this morning. It's black sand and there are big waves, but it's nice for a swim! ]]

I think that for the really nice beaches you're on the wrong coast and should go to the Caribbean side (but we will enjoy that when we're on the stahlratte).

The place we stay in is small (3 cabinas) and has a small swimming pool. It is not really close to the beach, but it is in a very nice setting (you feel like your in the jungle).

I've checked and they do have a cabina free tomorrow night. It's nice, the owners are nice and there is a very nice restaurant, but spending a night is a bit on the pricy side in our opinion.

The place is called "mundo milo eco lodge" and it's not far from your route if you want to go to Samara. It's easy to find on google maps. Coordinates: 10.167953,-85.80902
http://www.mundomilo.com/

We'll leave on the 21th. Tomorrow we're planning on getting some work done om the bikes (new oil). For the rest we're relaxing etc.

We do not know yet where we will be going next. We have to contact a sort-off-friend who lives near San Jose and decide if we want to go there or if we're going to make another plan.

De Buurman screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 11:24 PM
De Buurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #112
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Man Bass View Post

Hi guy,

I was the "companion" for the first month of this ride but decided for several personal reasons to cut it short!

It was a great ride, and I am looking forward to continuing next winter. Summer all year long is a tough concept to beat.

I've got over 500 images from Mexico…I'll start putting them up Advrider soon. MX is a great place to travel in spite of issues you may or may not actually see while down there!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 11-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #113
canadian chris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
you're not missing much back home - it's been hovering around the freezing mark and the town is still full of old people who can't drive I rode the ST down to Phoenix last month, where it's waiting for my December run to Oaxaca

some questions for you & Jackie:

where did you find secure bike parking when you were in Mexico City?

what has been your best meal so far?

how are you finding the humidity with all your gear on?

~ chris
circling through the Canadian Rockies
2up thru Mexico
canadian chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #114
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Talking Did you say food

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian chris View Post
you're not missing much back home - it's been hovering around the freezing mark and the town is still full of old people who can't drive I rode the ST down to Phoenix last month, where it's waiting for my December run to Oaxaca

some questions for you & Jackie:

where did you find secure bike parking when you were in Mexico City?

what has been your best meal so far?

how are you finding the humidity with all your gear on?

~ chris
Hey Chris nice to hear from you.

In Mexico city we stayed at hotel Cathedral at $65.00 it was a bit pricy, but it was right behind the Cathedral, so in the centre of the city where the main attractions are and it had secure parking in the hotel, included with the price. For us it was a no brainer.

Overall we ate well but I don't think we had our best meal yet.

We ate really well in Mexico in general, but Mexico city had by far the best Taquerias, we went to one opened since 1928. It was jam packed but the Taco al pastor and Gordas were the best "Sandwich" type meal we had.

We also had really good mole in Oaxaca, and I filled my flask with Mezcal reposada, right from a distillery barrel.

In Leon, Nicaragua we had this mixed platter which had chicken wings, some type of salcichon, yuca, spicy grilled meatballs, 2 types of local cheese, frijoles (whole), and plantain cooked two ways. It was most delicious.

Then in Granada Nicaragua, it took everything we had to find Nacatamales, they require quite a bit of prep and they are made on Saturday for the weekend, beef, chicken, or pork - picante.

We finally found a place and it was delicious

In Costa Rica we have been eating Casado, a typical dish served with Pinto the gallo (rice and black/kidney beans), salad, platanos fritos, or broiled with either fish, chicken, beef or pork, and some type of spicy sauce.

No pics but believe me it was some of the best food we've had.

The place where we are staying now in Playa Carillo, CR is owned by Argentinians and they have a small restaurant attached to the rooms and we are aiming for churrasco with chimichurri so we might be in for the best meal yet. Unless you happen to be the vegetarian type

The gear has been hot to say the least; it's not so much the heat as much as the humidity, Nicaragua was the worst. We are looking forward to bit more altitude when we head for the volcanoes on the weekend.

You were right about Mex 175 from Oaxaca to Puerto Angel. I am so glad that the ST workout for you.

Now if I can get my a$$ in gear, I'll do an update to the RR

The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 03:27 PM
Old 11-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #115
arjones
Roads and Waves

Talking

Anthony Bourdain on boxer cylinders...
Old 11-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #116
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,652
Sounds like some tasty food.
BTW, Pinto is not a rooster. Its Pico de Gallo.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #117
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Talking Ahum.....no

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Sounds like some tasty food.
BTW, Pinto is not a rooster. Its Pico de Gallo.
Pico de Gallo is a salsa type dish usually tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime, etc...

Pinto de Gallo or more appropriately Gallo Pinto is popular throughout Central America, and the Caribbean, it is made of beans and rice, usually pinto, kidney, black or black-eyed peas.

Also known as rice and peas in Jamaica

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjones View Post
Anthony Bourdain on boxer cylinders...
We've been called worst

The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 01:00 PM
Old 11-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #118
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Question Ainsi va la vie...

Nicaragua was special for us, for Liliane especially. A few decades ago as a youngster she spent a couple of years in Matagalpa just as the Somoza regime was dwindling away. Her Spanish parent sent her to Central America so she would improve her Spanish. She was under the care of her older sister and brother in law, Don Heradio Gonzalez Cano. Heradio is a scholar, poet, student of Ruben Dario, and notable of Nicaraguan society; click here for his bio (it is in Spanish; Google translate is your friend).

He now lives in Oviedo, Asturias, España. He was forced to flee Nicaragua with his family after the Sandinist unjustly seized all his assets. We spent some time with him in 2008 when we rode through España.

See the previous chronicles of J&V P3 for more details.

As such, the Hotel Intercontinental is for most just another insignificant landmark in Managua. For Jackie however, sitting pillion, riding through the congested street of Managua, it brought back the long forgotten memories of a young girl visiting the capital in the company of family and friends, enjoying the sometimes guilty privileges that exist when coming of age under the hospice and shadow of notoriety.

Little did she know that serendipitously she would only pass here again some years later whilst riding in the back of a motorbike heading to the end of the world.

Ainsi va la vie…

Nicaragua was also fun because we had planned to make our first use of the Asylum’s tent space and visit Salcar, the owner and operator of Nicaragua Motorcycle Adventures. This was actually quite funny if not unusual, Salvador had warned us that he would be out of the country, and was not sure if he would be back by the time we made our way through Managua, but to stop by anyway because his mom is the one who usually plays host.

So we left Leon around 10:00 and about an hour later we knocked on Salvador’s door, we were warmly greeted and subsequently fed a delicious meal by the groundkeepers. They jovially introduced us to Nikita and Lucky our four legged hosts for the day. Since it was pouring out, and we have been precisely timing any inclement weather episodes with a comfortable meal or a beverage inside, we did not want to break pattern and elected to spend a lazy afternoon doing some planning for the weeks ahead. When we retired in the evening, after having made great use of the wifi we were still to meet the owners.

Meet Nikita; Thank you Salcar for letting us in even in absentia

And Rocky

Early morning the next day, we enjoyed breakfast with Salcar’s mom, who had been held up late at work. We exchanged tales of Italy, where she has lived a greater part of her life, and after a warm embrace she sent us on our way heading for Granada. Thank you Salvador for you absentee hospitality, sorry we could not meet in person.

Ansi va la vie…

Jackie found that not much had changed from memory in Nicaragua. The Nacatamales are still delicious; it is still humid, and hotter than ever. As Salvador, I found it to be generally dirty. Dirty as with lots of trash everywhere. Waste management is inadequate at best. Evidently, the cycle of poverty, low education, lack of municipal, regional, and national infrastructures, long history of corrupt officials, exploitive elites, and foreign dominion all contribute, I suppose, to the problem. A growing population, and an equally increasing GDP, as well as development through consumerism with local markets flooded with of cheap and disposable imports are also culprit. To an extent we all share the blame.

The final result is a lot of trash in a lot of places. It remains very difficult for me to understand. I realize quite well that we produce more trash in the Western world, I suppose that with the quality of the infrastructures that we enjoy in countries like Canada we have learn to hide it better through recycling and other waste management programs (including trash export). It is a situation I have been confronted with before, and I still find it very difficult to put in perspective and relativize.

Ainsi va la vie…

In my mostly futile attempt to comprehend I stumbled on this interesting blog piece by Antonis Mavropoulos

Here are a few pics, I'll add more later from Leon and Granada. We finally found a nice beach in Costa Rica; currently in Playa Carillo

We made it through our first 10000 km, Angela will need an oil change soon.

So is life...

The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 06:08 PM
Old 11-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #119
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,652
Quote:

Pico de Gallo is a salsa type dish usually tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime, etc...

Pinto de Gallo or more appropriately Gallo Pinto is popular throughout Central America, and the Caribbean, it is made of beans and rice, usually pinto, kidney, black or black-eyed peas.

Also known as rice and peas in Jamaica

We've been called worst
Thanks for the info !
Old 11-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #120
arjones
Roads and Waves

Thumb

Beautiful post as usual!

Keep riding safe and enjoy Costa Rica. I've bee there surfing last July and there are some beautiful playas down south. If you like to see wild animals in their enviroment, here's a tip: heading south, something like 30 km before Jacó (maybe less), there's a river, Tárcoles. The little village by the river is named after it. Well, passing by the bridge above the river you will see people gathering, looking down... stop, and go with the flow. And you will see them. Big, huge ass crocs!!! Lots of them!! And you can buy some tickets no navigate the river with local guides, who know them very well, giving lots of information. Sounds touristy? Well, I thought so. My wife convinced me. Glad she did!! It's very nice.

Keep posting, please.

Arjones.

P.S.: sorry about the Bourdain joke...