ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #31
Brahma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
while I see your point the truth is I would never trust my only cell phone to be hard mounted on a twin bike because of the vibration through the handlebars which can certainly destroy a cell phone in a relatively short period of time in a way that the overpriced garmin units would tolerate much better. I need my cell phone when I arrive at a destination and I have a galaxy S4 and a galaxy note to and I love Google maps and integrated navigation and I use that in my car exclusively even though I have installed navigation in my Nissan Armada. However the intense vibration that can occur through the handlebars and transmitted into a mounted cell phone concerns me a great deal.
I had a brand new Zumo 550 I bought for an IronButt in 2008 that died on the trip, so I'd rather take my chances at a buck fifty than seven hundred. Staring at a ridiculously expensive, lifeless screen for over 1,200 miles tends to make me re-evaluate things, like purchasing overly-inflated, poorly engineered items with a limited lifespan, even when they work.

If Garmin approached their motorcycle units with their aviation team of engineers, instead of interns, I might again reinvest.
Brahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #32
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
I had a brand new Zumo 550 I bought for an IronButt in 2008 that died on the trip, so I'd rather take my chances at a buck fifty than seven hundred. Staring at a ridiculously expensive, lifeless screen for over 1,200 miles tends to make me re-evaluate things, like purchasing overly-inflated, poorly engineered items with a limited lifespan, even when they work.

If Garmin approached their motorcycle units with their aviation team of engineers, instead of interns, I might again reinvest.
i'm fully onboard with your very valid points
for whatever reason i STILL support Garmin, even thought i could go to PARIS and LONDON for the money i've spent on their products over the years.... SADLY
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #33
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Hmmmm .... now many smartphones with nav can be purchased for the cost of one BMW 5 unit? Just interjecting a thought ...
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #34
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,116
I use a phone for music and phone calls via an Interphone F5XT, if the NAV IV worked properly I could leave the phone in my pocket and link it thru the GPS, but it doesn't.
I currently use the BMW Nav IV (aka: $800 waste of money) but I also had my phone(s) mounted to the handlebars for the past several years with no problems, the first phone was a Motorolla Droid X, then a Bionic and now a RAZR Maxx HD.

Mobile phones are probably more robust than most people realize, my RAZR even came from the factory with Nano-coating which makes it semi-waterproof, it has withstood many torrential downpours sitting on the handlebars.

My concern with the New Nav V is that the guts may still largely be Nav IV which is an abysmal pile of shit.

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.

JetSpeed screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 08:36 AM
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #35
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I use a phone for music and phone calls via an Interphone F5XT, if the NAV IV worked properly I could leave the phone in my pocket and link it thru the GPS, but it doesn't.
I currently use the BMW Nav IV (aka: $800 waste of money) but I also had my phone(s) mounted to the handlebars for the past several years with no problems, the first phone was a Motorolla Droid X, then a Bionic and now a RAZR Maxx HD.

Mobil phones are probably more robust than most people realize, my RAZR even came from the factory with Nano-coating which makes it semi-waterproof, it has withstood many torrential downpours sitting on the handlebars.

My concern with the New Nav V is that the guts may still largely be Nav IV which is an abysmal pile of shit.
Is your assessment of the IV driven by the (apparent) bluetooth issues you describe, or does it fail to perform its core mission of navigation as well?
Smugmug 20% off: http://www.smugmug.com/signup/?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #36
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Is your assessment of the IV driven by the (apparent) bluetooth issues you describe, or does it fail to perform its core mission of navigation as well?
The Bluetooth issue is a biggie, so is the audio sound quality, it also has marginal navigating qualities as well, my $79 Nuvi does a better job, its slow, the screen is too dim for a device designed to be used outdoors, it will not hold the zoom level if you change screens and the list goes on.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #37
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
The Bluetooth issue is a biggie, so is the audio sound quality, it also has marginal navigating qualities as well, my $79 Nuvi does a better job, its slow, the screen is too dim for a device designed to be used outdoors, it will not hold the zoom level if you change screens and the list goes on.
I would think you could set your navigation preferences to be identical to those of a Nuvi, no? I think in settings > tools > map detail there might be a way to set your zoom level for above or below 30 mph. Did you try that?

I'm not a bluetooth guy (prefer wires) so I don't know about that. I don't want any audio out of my GPS beyond voice directions.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #38
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I would think you could set your navigation preferences to be identical to those of a Nuvi, no? I think in settings > tools > map detail there might be a way to set your zoom level for above or below 30 mph. Did you try that?

I'm not a bluetooth guy (prefer wires) so I don't know about that. I don't want any audio out of my GPS beyond voice directions.
You would naturally assume that you could set the zoom just like a cheap Nuvi but nope, It doesn't work that way, its like the software in this unit is 10 years old.
I also understand that many riders don't care about music or phone use while riding, I'm not one of them and I simply would like this expensive device to work as advertised, like it should.
Bluetooth is a great feature and my phone works absolutely perfect with the F5XT.
One if its biggest problems is the dim screen.

I'll be one of the first to pony up for the new Nav V when it hits the ground, but I'll also be one of the first to return it, if it exhibits too many of the same issues that the Nav IV has.

JetSpeed screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 11:46 AM
Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #39
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Hmmmm .... now many smartphones with nav can be purchased for the cost of one BMW 5 unit? Just interjecting a thought ...
One high end phone or two cheap ones.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #40
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Hey, just for fun, head over to https://support.garmin.com/support/s...calateForm.htm and send them an email asking if there is going to be a new Gamin Zumo released that is like the new BMW Navigator V that was just announced.

Maybe if enough of us ask, they will come up with an answer.

Although, I am not holding my breath...
Old 09-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #41
notacop01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Anyone know if this new unit will work with the existing factory "GPS Prep" mounts?

I know is says it supports the thumbwheel for the GS, and the K1600, but what about the mounts?
notacop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #42
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop01 View Post
Anyone know if this new unit will work with the existing factory "GPS Prep" mounts?

I know is says it supports the thumbwheel for the GS, and the K1600, but what about the mounts?

Will work with the Nav IV mounts, like the 4-button advanced mount.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #43
IrishCatholic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
The MSRP for the V is $799 and it fits in the same mount as the IV. The "frame" surrounding the screen is narrower, allowing for a larger screen without increasing the external dimensions of the unit. I just sold my 665 and added the V to my GS order (just learned the bike is now on this side of the Atlantic!) so I can enjoy the fully integrated features between the V and the GS - music on the memory card that I selected is as good as sat radio someone else programmed - just my personal opinion based on having had sat radio. I know there are many other formats (sports, news, etc) that many riders enjoy - I'm just not one of them. I'm curious to see how the traffic and weather iPhone apps interact with the V, because I did really enjoy the weather alerts on the 665.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #44
JetSpeed
Naviator

The Nav V will start shipping Monday Sept 30th, I placed a special order for one a couple days ago, the dealer charged me $718 + tax.
I'm looking forward to using the Garmin Spartphone app advanced weather feature and evidently the guts of this unit are all new and vastly superior to the Nav IV with faster processor/ram a different Bluetooth module and a 800x480 (Garmin calls HD) pixel screen resolution vs the Nav IV's 480x272.

JetSpeed screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 03:33 PM
Old 09-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #45
willcasp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Looks like the Nuvi line has gotten the update. Check out the Nuvi 3597LMTHD
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod121762.html
IBA #47287
AMA Lifer, BRC, NMA
2008 KTM 530 EXC-R
2008 KTM 200 XC-W