ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
George 99 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
AZ Back Country Discovery Route?

The Back Country Discovery Route web site still sez the AZ route "will be released to the public beginning of 2014." Anyone here have any more info?

I'm new to the off road ADV bunch, still working on my DRZ to get it ready for some ADVenturing. Looking to meet up with the more experienced folks here. My old XT350 never took me too far, hoping to change that with the Zook.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,040
last word

I talked to the route designers at Overland Expo in may of this year, they had just finished up & came to expo to catch up & for some r&r, any way they said it would be awhile before AZBDR would be released as Butler Maps had to do their thing & the video would have to be edited & put into production form, as soon as those two things come together it will be ready for sale.
Best to keep in touch with Touratech folks as they will be distributors of the AZ package when available.

Also FYI, The AZ State Parks division is in the process of developing a full length mapping of The Great Western Trail, from the Mexican boarder to southern Utah full length of Arizona. This undertaking is being spearheaded by Jeff Prince, Az State Parks OHV coordinator. I know he is actively seeking any help to help map the whole distance & finally get a definitive map of the route

Maybe someone else can chime in w/ any other info

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
George 99 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks, Belstaff. I tried asking the same question from some of the ADV riders who are more closely linked to the trails in AZ but didn't get any info.

I was at the Overland Expo at Mormon Lake but wasn't aware enough at that time to look for this info. Will be looking for more info. I'm looking forward to riding some of these of these trails soon.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
Thanks, Belstaff. I tried asking the same question from some of the ADV riders who are more closely linked to the trails in AZ but didn't get any info.

I was at the Overland Expo at Mormon Lake but wasn't aware enough at that time to look for this info. Will be looking for more info. I'm looking forward to riding some of these of these trails soon.
Meet up anytime George, just give me a shout. Was in your neighborhood a couple days ago.
AZ Tom
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
George 99 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks, Tom. I'm still assembling my DRZ but will be on-the-road (trails) soon.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
I think the AZ BDR is basically the Great Western Trail. Countdown has just posted tracks of that on the ADV GPS Tracks West forum.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,040
uh

And there in lays the rub--- no one seems to know which is" the real" and the "it goes this away" GWT. That why its so important to jump in on the definite GWT trail mapping the the AZ State Parks OHV Division is trying to accomplish.

Some claim( and a long way from here in AZ) the GWT is through Texas, Oklahoma & Kansas following the old cattle trails to rail heads in the north , others claim the trail was laid out by early explores , Army Scouts & land mapping expeditions, some say it was only east/west while others say north/south only.

Kinda of a modern day mystery that would be fun to help sort out , Any one intersted in doing so should contact Jeff Prince at the Arizona State Parks OHV division.

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote