User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Thinking of going back to 2-2 exhaust

So I have the 2-1 exhaust with aux tank and it's really nice to have the extral fuel for just incase but I think I may go back to dual exhaust and go with the safari tanks to balance the load a bit, as it is now all the weight is on the ass end....

Maybe it's just me but I feel, although the setup works, there is a better option available....

Might sell the whole package or trade for a dual wings or akro set up

Any thoughts?
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 437
I went with the 2 gal rotopack and talk about ass end weight! I ended up running it with only a 1/2 gal for the COBDR and never needed it.

Of course I have been wondering about the price and handling of Safari vs 2/1 w/tank.

I'll be watching your thread.
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer: 142
I went the Safari route and kept 2 into 1 so I could get CJs tool box for the back (as I lost my tube and tool stash spot behind the fairings). I am however looking for a better flowing can...I like my Remus, but opened up it is kinda loud for my tastes.

The added weight of the the fuel can actually be negated by only filling the tanks as much as you need. Obviously if you want to keep the tanks full and ride single track you are gonna feel the weight. With 5 gallons in the tanks the weight is actually carried a little lower than stock and the tanks weigh less than stock...but I cannot really tell the difference as these bikes carry a lot of weight low.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Mesjr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencergt66 View Post
So I have the 2-1 exhaust with aux tank and it's really nice to have the extral fuel for just incase but I think I may go back to dual exhaust and go with the safari tanks to balance the load a bit, as it is now all the weight is on the ass end....

Maybe it's just me but I feel, although the setup works, there is a better option available....

Any thoughts?
if you decide to sell the 2-1 hit me up
Mesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Loaded

Most of the time when im on the 990 Im loaded for camping I have 4 other bikes for whatever task.... If its trails Ill take the berg if its work I take the Buell if its for adv riding or camping im on the 990 so Im always loaded and on the street its not a huge issue but as soon as I hit the dirt there is little front end feel Talking with the other guys at the CJ pre Ride Rally I think this may be what Im looking for
Old 09-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
The 990 is front heavy. Look at all the extra work they did on it (950) in Dakar to lighten the front up.
I find the same thing and when I ride technical i usually fill my rear adv, and keep less in the front tanks. I would love to go the other way and have a bigger tank on the back and less on the front.
rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
Although once I read the thread and realized it's 990 ADV specific, I just wanted to toss in a tangent thought. I rode a 950 S for a while, and although I loved that bike, when the 950SE hit the USA, I was one of the first buyers. That's another story.

IMHO, the ADV platform is very heavy on the front wheel, and although it is really not very noticeable on pavement, it becomes quite apparent on dirt. Especially with softly sprung forks.

I'm riding a 950SE now, and am back to running the stock front tank and a modified Baja Designs rear tank with a 2-1 exhaust. This gives me about 200 miles of range if I ride nicely and need the range. For a little while, I had one of the giant 7 gallon tanks on the SE, and, well, it wasn't the right package for the stuff I ride.

Anyway, the 2-1 is a bit of a compromise. You can add fuel, add storage, but you pay a slight high rpm performance penalty. With the 990's EFI, perhaps not as much?

My point is, if you spend a lot of time off road, shifting weight off the front axle isn't a bad thing. If you don't, IMHO, it really doesn't matter all that much. Life's a compromise.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Like I mentioned Earlier if im on the 990 im going off road and most likely loaded all my weight is on the ass end.. Would be nice for a few more HP too.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #9
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 415
Do what you do on a Rally and run the rear tank/s dry first, they are for liasons/transport stages not racing or more technical riding.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

I still usually have a lot of luggage on the back also I have found that with my tea rack the tank is a pain to fill and remove the cap
Old 09-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc8grrr View Post
Do what you do on a Rally and run the rear tank/s dry first, they are for liasons/transport stages not racing or more technical riding.
Not on a 990.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Any thoughts?
yep it does balance things out when ya got 50-60 lbs of shit on the back.. When you put 10 gallons in them you will sure know it. 8 gallons its not so bad unloaded.

Had the 2-1 and tank for a few years, i did notice the weight back there and the tank and bracket took a beating.
Went to the mega tanks last year, no more range anxiety with those hoggers. But fitting them is a bitch for me. Had to get to a gps wire behind the headlight in Steamboat and thought i was gunna get a hernia getting all the bolts back...had to leave 2 out.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe View Post
Although once I read the thread and realized it's 990 ADV specific, I just wanted to toss in a tangent thought. I rode a 950 S for a while, and although I loved that bike, when the 950SE hit the USA, I was one of the first buyers. That's another story.

IMHO, the ADV platform is very heavy on the front wheel, and although it is really not very noticeable on pavement, it becomes quite apparent on dirt. Especially with softly sprung forks.

I'm riding a 950SE now, and am back to running the stock front tank and a modified Baja Designs rear tank with a 2-1 exhaust. This gives me about 200 miles of range if I ride nicely and need the range. For a little while, I had one of the giant 7 gallon tanks on the SE, and, well, it wasn't the right package for the stuff I ride.

Anyway, the 2-1 is a bit of a compromise. You can add fuel, add storage, but you pay a slight high rpm performance penalty. With the 990's EFI, perhaps not as much?

My point is, if you spend a lot of time off road, shifting weight off the front axle isn't a bad thing. If you don't, IMHO, it really doesn't matter all that much. Life's a compromise.
I think it takes a hit on the EFI bike also, but in didn't have what i think was a proper collector at the 2-1. There may be better out there now tho.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I think it takes a hit on the EFI bike also, but in didn't have what i think was a proper collector at the 2-1. There may be better out there now tho.
Well today I took my husaberg to the top of green mountain by my house In a sudden utter down poor with cold blowing in.... I have been informed officially winter is here and riding so the bike is being stripped for other upgrades and repairs like abs delete suspension and leaks just looking into other options I really do feel like the set up I have is not quite optimal...
Old 09-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Lumberjeff
River City MC

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Well today I took my husaberg to the top of green mountain by my house In a sudden utter down poor with cold blowing in....
I was riding over in Belfair on my 300 at the same time of the down pour. Crazy how much rain came down.
1979 VESPA P125X/166cc
I'M THIRSTY FOR A HARMON BEER
Lumberjeff is offline   Reply With Quote