Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 04:34 AM   #16
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Not on a 990.
Why? Works that way on my 950 as well. Physics is physics. My total camping gear is 11kg not 25kg+ though..
Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #17
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc8grrr View Post
Why? Works that way on my 950 as well. Physics is physics. My total camping gear is 11kg not 25kg+ though..
the fuel pump is in the tank.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #18
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Left tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
the fuel pump is in the tank.
Yup ALL fuel must go to left tank in order for the bike to run. Not like the 950 where you can select what is drained first To bad an external HP fuel pump would fix this issue..

Not sure if anyone has done this
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
wakked1
Aspiring Itinerant

Oddometer: 52
The rear tank is higher than the main tanks right, so it should still drain first? Don't have one obviously but just curious.

Recent trip: Reno 200 + Mono Lake/Bodie http://s.lofifoto.com/p/story.html?s...2cf29cf92c0b8c
wakked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #20
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakked1 View Post
The rear tank is higher than the main tanks right, so it should still drain first? Don't have one obviously but just curious.
Yes and no the top is a bit higher then the 2 up front but most of the gas is still held pretty low all 3 tanks draw about the same only thing you could do is turn off the right tank and drain the left and rear first
Old 09-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #21
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe View Post
For a little while, I had one of the giant 7 gallon tanks on the SE, and, well, it wasn't the right package for the stuff I ride
You haven't been tempted by Powercell's new tank?
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
You haven't been tempted by Powercell's new tank?
Sure. But back to running a rear tank and the factory tank. I get five gallons out of that.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #23
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_West View Post
I went the Safari route and kept 2 into 1 so I could get CJs tool box for the back (as I lost my tube and tool stash spot behind the fairings).
I did this also on my 990 (and I was also at this year's Rally but didn't make it over to CJ's camp). On the way to the Rally (I came from northern California) I found that my stock-sprung KTM 990 will bottom out on an acorn if it's left in the road. Off road, I just got used to that thump/clank sound when I hit some edge with my front end. Even on the rides at the Rally (sans camping gear and not with full tanks) I can easily bottom out the springs. So my advice is (if you haven't already) PLAN TO RESPRING YOUR FRONT END WITH THE SAFARI TANKS. You may also need to do the same for the rear - for the camping gear.

If you haven't re-sprung your bike, you may want to consider this first before going back to the 2 into 2. Might save you some bucks because you'll need to do it anyway.

The only other problem with the Safari tanks is that if your riding buddies don't have them you either will have to go solo or not enjoy them. I opted for the solo on this last trip home - I had some ground to cover and didn't want to hang around near the gas stations all day.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #24
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep View Post
I did this also on my 990 (and I was also at this year's Rally but didn't make it over to CJ's camp). On the way to the Rally (I came from northern California) I found that my stock-sprung KTM 990 will bottom out on an acorn if it's left in the road. Off road, I just got used to that thump/clank sound when I hit some edge with my front end. Even on the rides at the Rally (sans camping gear and not with full tanks) I can easily bottom out the springs. So my advice is (if you haven't already) PLAN TO RESPRING YOUR FRONT END WITH THE SAFARI TANKS. You may also need to do the same for the rear - for the camping gear.

If you haven't re-sprung your bike, you may want to consider this first before going back to the 2 into 2. Might save you some bucks because you'll need to do it anyway.

The only other problem with the Safari tanks is that if your riding buddies don't have them you either will have to go solo or not enjoy them. I opted for the solo on this last trip home - I had some ground to cover and didn't want to hang around near the gas stations all day.
Already resprung... Got that covered just dont care for the ass heavy feel as soon as the bike hits the dirt.... Feels like the front is on marbles
Old 10-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #25
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,385
Hey Spencer,

You might try moving your fork legs up a cm or so if they're even with the top of the upper triple; it's free...watch that you don't smash the top of your fender into the front fairing at max travel, tho (or the tire into the fender if you're high.......fender, that is...).

SA
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #26
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Made up my mind

So I've made up my mind?... Going to go back to 2-2 exhaust & safari tanks. Pry going to look to sell or trade the 2-1 wings and aux tank set up as a package
Old 10-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #27
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 402
Rade's Underseat tank

Wont give you the range of the Safari dromedaries, but I have found this a very neat and well balanced solution mate. About the same capacity of the side rear tank but IMO much more securely mounted and the weight is central and low.

About the only downside is you need to remove the seat to refuel but I have my luggage configured so I can do this in less than 5 mins, and as I always run a std seat after 350 kms my ass thanks me for the few mins extra break at fuel stops

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=201

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencergt66 View Post
So I've made up my mind?... Going to go back to 2-2 exhaust & safari tanks. Pry going to look to sell or trade the 2-1 wings and aux tank set up as a package
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #28
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Think ill just go with the safari tanks not looking for a hidden tank looking more for max fuel storage weight distribution and max engine performance
Old 10-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #29
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,226
If you're thinking of going back to a 2 into 2...

Just saying...
Old 10-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #30
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
If you're thinking of going back to a 2 into 2...

Just saying...
Chris and his wife are awesome people but I think that set up is a bit out of my price range for now lol