User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
cdnsabrev45 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Budget and time question

How long would you take for a trip like this one? The picture is just a general idea of where I would like to go.

Not including shipping the bike, and flight there, how much should I budget per day? 100 euros? Probably going to have to camp to make this trip possible. Was planning to use my vfr 800 for this, or should I just buy another bike once I get there?

cdnsabrev45 screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 06:20 PM
cdnsabrev45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,895
To do a trip like that, at least one to two months. Your daily budget will depend on your eating/drinking habits plus accommodation and tolls.
To save money, use tentspace here on ADV and ask farmers if it's okay to camp in their fields.
Buy your food in the supermarket and stay off the toll roads.

wheatwhacker screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 12:13 AM
wheatwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,808
The answer is right there on the page; 163 hours!

That said, the route seems all highways and you're passing by some fantastic riding opportunities like the Transfăgărășan, Transalpina, Dolomites, Alps and Pyrennes. So, what do you want to do? See the cities or ride some great roads? What are your priorities? How long have you got? What time of year? Where are you from? So many questions!

You'll get a lot of help here if you get a little more specific about your needs.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
Wildman
In my castle

For cost planning, try here.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 09-22-2013, 02:51 AM   #5
cdnsabrev45 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
The answer is right there on the page; 163 hours!

That said, the route seems all highways and you're passing by some fantastic riding opportunities like the Transfăgărășan, Transalpina, Dolomites, Alps and Pyrennes. So, what do you want to do? See the cities or ride some great roads? What are your priorities? How long have you got? What time of year? Where are you from? So many questions!

You'll get a lot of help here if you get a little more specific about your needs.

That route/map is just to give a general idea of what I would like to do. At the moment I am just in the planning stage, how long I have to do it depends on how much $ I can save up for it. Looking to do it next summer/spring. I am from Canada.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:27 AM   #6
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,428
Skip Sweden, and go north thru mainland Denmark instead, taking a ferry to south Norway.It´s fantastic (IF the weather is good - that´s a big IF!!).... on your way back south, you can take in a bit of Sweden´s west coast.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #7
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnsabrev45 View Post
That route/map is just to give a general idea of what I would like to do. At the moment I am just in the planning stage, how long I have to do it depends on how much $ I can save up for it. Looking to do it next summer/spring. I am from Canada.
Okay. So, first and foremost, is this a "see Europe" trip or a "great rides" trip? You can do both but it would be easier to give advice if we had that info.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
cdnsabrev45 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Okay. So, first and foremost, is this a "see Europe" trip or a "great rides" trip? You can do both but it would be easier to give advice if we had that info.
A mix of both.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
Wildman
In my castle

Okay then. My initial thoughts:

Lisbon to Pula; take some time to travel via Porto, the Douro valley, the Pyrennes, Alps and Dolomites
Travel Sofia to Constanta and then Bucharest so you can take the Transfăgărășan or Transalpina north towards Ukraine
Consider riding to Tallinn and catching the overnight ferry to Stockholm so you're not riding the same route there and back
There're also ferries from Portsmouth and Plymouth to Bilbao and Santander for your return

I reckon this is 40 days plus riding. Add what you want to spend off the bike taking in the sights and there's the answer to how long it'll take. A day in each place you've identified would make it an eight week trip.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
cdnsabrev45 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Okay then. My initial thoughts:

Lisbon to Pula; take some time to travel via Porto, the Douro valley, the Pyrennes, Alps and Dolomites
Travel Sofia to Constanta and then Bucharest so you can take the Transfăgărășan or Transalpina north towards Ukraine
Consider riding to Tallinn and catching the overnight ferry to Stockholm so you're not riding the same route there and back
There're also ferries from Portsmouth and Plymouth to Bilbao and Santander for your return

I reckon this is 40 days plus riding. Add what you want to spend off the bike taking in the sights and there's the answer to how long it'll take. A day in each place you've identified would make it an eight week trip.
Ah, good ideas :) thanks!

This is pretty much the minimum I would like to do, would love to see more.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Ah, good ideas :) thanks!

This is pretty much the minimum I would like to do, would love to see more.
mate do a top deck tour
gives you an idea
then buy a bike and go where you like
cheers
in my day we hitch hiked
slept on beaches/anywhere
but those days are gone
i'm jelly
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
Zwarte-zee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
its reasonable to take ferry from Stokholm to Tallin (for example) and then ride down to the Poland throught Baltic countries.

Do yoy planning to visit Chernobil Nuclear zone? its very difficult to organize because our presidents also likes to spend time there.
Zwarte-zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #13
cdnsabrev45 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
mate do a top deck tour
gives you an idea
then buy a bike and go where you like
cheers
in my day we hitch hiked
slept on beaches/anywhere
but those days are gone
i'm jelly
cheers
Can't swing another trip for a top deck tour. They do look pretty cool :)

Is buying a bike there a better option if I will be over for 2+ months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwarte-zee View Post
its reasonable to take ferry from Stokholm to Tallin (for example) and then ride down to the Poland throught Baltic countries.

Do yoy planning to visit Chernobil Nuclear zone? its very difficult to organize because our presidents also likes to spend time there.
Yeah I do, was going to use these guys or something similar:
http://www.tourkiev.com/chernobyltour/
Old 09-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #14
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
... Is buying a bike there a better option if I will be over for 2+ months?...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868979
Old 09-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #15
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,895
Hi again.
The questions you ask are impossible to answer. It's like asking "how long to ride around the USA" You can ride across the USA in 4 days, but, it took me 4 weeks back in 2003.
First thing to do is figure out how much time you have. The more time you will be in Europe, the more it will cost if your paying for accommodation. The more places you want to visit, the more it will cost in gas, tolls and bike wear.

Here is an example.
I had a guy stay here for free in exchange for some chores. He rode most days for a few hours and came back here every night.
His cost, very little/day and he had a good immersion experience in Irish culture.

Another example.
A local biker group paid 650 Euro (almost $1000) to ship their bikes from Ireland to Norway because it was cheaper to ship than ride them there. That's one example of how expensive riding can be in Europe.

So, If you want a cheap vacation, come to Ireland, get a little 250cc bike and roam around here for a month. Total cost, maybe 1,500 - 2,500 for the month. A quick trip to Scotland and the Isle of man, down to London, or in my case, around it, take the chunnel to France, bum around there for a week at my buddies place, ferry back to Ireland and you have had yourself a fun filled month with memories that will last a lifetime.
Racing around Europe to tick boxes and collect stickers is both exhausting and expensive.

The bike. Ship your own and back will cost approx $2000. You may get a better deal on shipping, I don't know.
Buying is an option and most people I have dealt with here figure loosing 50% on a 2000 Euro bike is still cheaper than shipping. Again, that is a personal decision.