Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 02:01 AM   #16
cdnsabrev45 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
Hi again.
The questions you ask are impossible to answer. It's like asking "how long to ride around the USA" You can ride across the USA in 4 days, but, it took me 4 weeks back in 2003.
First thing to do is figure out how much time you have. The more time you will be in Europe, the more it will cost if your paying for accommodation. The more places you want to visit, the more it will cost in gas, tolls and bike wear.

Here is an example.
I had a guy stay here for free in exchange for some chores. He rode most days for a few hours and came back here every night.
His cost, very little/day and he had a good immersion experience in Irish culture.

Another example.
A local biker group paid 650 Euro (almost $1000) to ship their bikes from Ireland to Norway because it was cheaper to ship than ride them there. That's one example of how expensive riding can be in Europe.

So, If you want a cheap vacation, come to Ireland, get a little 250cc bike and roam around here for a month. Total cost, maybe 1,500 - 2,500 for the month. A quick trip to Scotland and the Isle of man, down to London, or in my case, around it, take the chunnel to France, bum around there for a week at my buddies place, ferry back to Ireland and you have had yourself a fun filled month with memories that will last a lifetime.
Racing around Europe to tick boxes and collect stickers is both exhausting and expensive.

The bike. Ship your own and back will cost approx $2000. You may get a better deal on shipping, I don't know.
Buying is an option and most people I have dealt with here figure loosing 50% on a 2000 Euro bike is still cheaper than shipping. Again, that is a personal decision.
Looks like I should save up and do it properly, smaller trips like the one you mentioned are possible though.

The quote I got on shipping so far (return trip) was around $4400 CAD. Will have to really think about buying there or shipping over.
cdnsabrev45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #17
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnsabrev45 View Post
Looks like I should save up and do it properly, smaller trips like the one you mentioned are possible though.

The quote I got on shipping so far (return trip) was around $4400 CAD. Will have to really think about buying there or shipping over.
$4.400 for shipping is the same as what you would pay for a bike here. I'd shop around some more.
Take your time and consider all the options. Europe has many beautiful places but it will take several trips to see them all.
No point in trying to compress all of Europe into one fast loop.

wheatwhacker screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 01:41 PM
wheatwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
tekebird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
4400 on shipping is a bit on the salty side I think. Check with Knopftours.com. He does containers from FL and Vancouver, CA.

we just did a Germany.Switzerland, Italy, Corica and back trip in 7 days......very do-able......I think it was 1760 US miles.

But we did not do touristy stuff, had some long lunches and some short days in there. but the longer you can go for the better...it will give you options
tekebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #19
cdnsabrev45 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekebird View Post
4400 on shipping is a bit on the salty side I think. Check with Knopftours.com. He does containers from FL and Vancouver, CA.

we just did a Germany.Switzerland, Italy, Corica and back trip in 7 days......very do-able......I think it was 1760 US miles.

But we did not do touristy stuff, had some long lunches and some short days in there. but the longer you can go for the better...it will give you options
Looks to be about $1000 through him, hmm. Still have to think it over for sure, would end up costing me about as much as buying a bike there and selling.
cdnsabrev45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #20
tekebird
Gnarly Adventurer

I shipped an FJR over.......no hassle with insurance or trying to sell it afterwords.

No worries about buying a PoS and only finding out part way into your trip.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:39 AM   #21
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Quote:
I shipped an FJR over.......no hassle with insurance or trying to sell it afterwords.

No worries about buying a PoS and only finding out part way into your trip.
Are you implying that every bike for sale in Europe is a "PoS"?
Would you like me to email you a long list of happy people who have completed trips on bikes purchased here?
Some have resold, some are still for sale and even more have them in storage till next year.

Are you also implying that your FJR is never going to fail just because you own it?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #22
tekebird
Gnarly Adventurer

I am suggesting I have a known quantity having shipped a bike I am familiar with and a known/confirmed maint history. No doubt there are people who have bought sight unseen.....and are Happy
Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #23
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
You're free to pitch your tent up in my backyard!
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #24
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
I am suggesting I have a known quantity having shipped a bike I am familiar with and a known/confirmed maint history. No doubt there are people who have bought sight unseen.....and are Happy
+1 and no hassle shopping for and then having to dump a bike. I try to avoid combining "work" with "vacation" when possible
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #25
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
Are you implying that every bike for sale in Europe is a "PoS"?
To me it looks like he only said getting a PoS bike is not possible, when you send your own. Which is true (...provided you are not sending a PoS, of course !!) And that is one of the few big upsides of sending your own bike overseas.

But naturally it costs serious money to send vehicles back and forth. So in the case of touring Europe, where there is a good selection of bikes at affordable prices, and even parts and service shops arent far away, I would be inclined to buy there, rather than send mine from the States, for example. For a RTW-tour, Id probably send my own.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #26
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Whatever you decide to do, shipping or buying, have an amazing trip.
This debate could go on forever and every option has advantages and disadvantages.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #27
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
I've send my two bikes back and forth the atlantic for riding Canada and US. It was many , many years ago, when Internet was just a DARPA dream . And buying or renting a bike on place was something nearly impossible - very hard just to find if there are someone able to .Having advice on the site was possible only if you have relatives or friends there...

Anyway, some things never change , like the advantages of having one's own bike. Shipping is also one of these .

First - find a way to crate and palletize yourself the bike, trying to compact it as possible , for example taking away the front wheel and handlebar , air or ship volume always counts.
Second - never ever ask for a quotation to a shipper mentioning that you are sending a bike ; they don't need this info for giving a price , just tell that you have a palletised crate of # cu.mt or cu.in, with # dimensions (you need to have the overall length of the crate under 2,1 metros - so to be fit easy widthwise into a container) with a # gross weight.
Third - put emphasis on the cost, not on the delivery time , this way, particularly for sea container, you could offer your load as a "fill up" for partially completed containers.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #28
Marine By Choice
Sergeant 0311

Oddometer: 183
As I have just retired 2 weeks ago my timeline might be a little different than yours. I am in the initial stage of planning a Eurpoean trip. I plan to take 12 to 18 months for the trip.
Marine By Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #29
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
never ever ask for a quotation to a shipper mentioning that you are sending a bike ; they don't need this info for giving a price
And when they find out, that it is a used vehicle, which falls under the Dangerous Goods regulations category, your old quote goes out the window. Or do you mean nobody will notice, that it is a vehicle? I very much doubt that.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #30
Packy
n00b

Oddometer: 9
nice trip

Goodluck my frend, you trip passes near my home, just 40 km to venice, if you need anything send me a MP......ciao.
Packy is offline   Reply With Quote