Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
FireDog45 OP
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 660
The only comparison I want to make regarding the ST is the touring aspect. I have no plans to go back to a sport touring class if bike. Been there and found it's not my thing
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Stop comparing the GSA to the ST unless you plan on adding the weight of four one-gallon rotopax to the equation

I hope you get an ST just so I can wheelie by it on my 1150 with a GSA tank!

(and roost you)
I'll give you the 20 lb advantage the GSA has..as long as the difference is in a swingarm that makes a difference in final life..a cassette transmission that shifts like butta..and takes 20 minutes to put a new clutch in..and valve covers that only come off once year..or so, if then..steel, non leaking, cracking tank..etc..etc..

I do see I reversed my bike to weight statment above..my bad..the STen outweighs the GSA...

VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
FireDog45 OP
Mid-life crisis sufferer

I just realized there may be some confusion. When I mention ST I'm referring to the Honda ST1100 not the Tenere
Old 09-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDog45 View Post
I just realized there may be some confusion. When I mention ST I'm referring to the Honda ST1100 not the Tenere
I figgered....but knew what Bobby meant too....
Old 09-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
VolInGA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
It's not so much getting their approval it's more about what do they know that I don't. I like to be as informed about issues as I can so any decision I make can be an informed one.
The issue with that theory is that your friends probably don't have a damn clue what they are talking about. How many of them have actually owned a BMW?? My guess is very few. Probably a lot of "I knew a guy that had one.....". Every bike has it's issues from time to time, and BMW is no different. When you factor in the very high miles that most owners put on these bikes and the abuse they take, I'd say they are probably one of the more reliable bikes you can own.

I'm on my third BMW and have never had any issues.......which will surely mean mine will leave me stranded on the way to work tomorrow.
VolInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #21
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolInGA View Post
I'm on my third BMW and have never had any issues.......which will surely mean mine will leave me stranded on the way to work tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #22
Brent T
2014 R1200RT

Oddometer: 36
My '09 GS is my 4th BMW and is hands down, the best motorcycle I've ever owned. (I had other brands too.) Never been stranded and a blast to ride...
Brent T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #23
FireDog45 OP
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolInGA View Post
The issue with that theory is that your friends probably don't have a damn clue what they are talking about. How many of them have actually owned a BMW?? My guess is very few. Probably a lot of "I knew a guy that had one.....". Every bike has it's issues from time to time, and BMW is no different. When you factor in the very high miles that most owners put on these bikes and the abuse they take, I'd say they are probably one of the more reliable bikes you can own.

They may have never owned one but they have been riding longer and (I believe) are more informed than I am. But I hear what you're saying.

Hopefully you won't get stranded!
Old 09-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #24
FireDog45 OP
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent T View Post
My '09 GS is my 4th BMW and is hands down, the best motorcycle I've ever owned. (I had other brands too.) Never been stranded and a blast to ride...
That's what I like to hear since I've kind of zeroed in on the 08's and 09's.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #25
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
That's what I like to hear since I've kind of zeroed in on the 08's and 09's.
The best years....imho...
Old 09-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #26
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Interesting that the F800GS isn't in your list of alternatives as you include the Tiger 800XC... I have a 2012 F800GS and a 2014 R1200GS (which at 600 miles is too new to know its reliability). The F8 is a year and a half old and I've done 12,000 miles without any issues at all (other than a tank of bad fuel). I recently did 3000 miles around the Alps 2-up and fully loaded and it didn't skip a beat. Servicing in the UK (at a central London BMW dealership) is roughly half (£175/6k service) what Honda used to charge me (£300/£5k service) for my old 2008 Hornet which was a standard naked bike.

I've had two Hondas and two BMWs and I've only been left at the side of the road once due to a clutch malfunction on my second Honda. Other than that isolated incident they have all been models of reliability. BMWs do like to have their maintenance on schedule (whether by you or by your dealership) but give them this and they keep going forever. Although not a motorcycle, my mum drives a 1987 325e with nearly 400,000 miles on the clock and it has never required anything beyond regular maintenance.

Don't let the forums put you off, there are plenty of threads which put the problems into perspective... for every final drive, switch, bearing etc failure, thousands of people have no problems at all. Other manufacturers have issues also, even Goldwings and other reportedly reliable bikes (do a bit of googling).

There are virtually no truly terrible products on the market these days so take a few 1200s (or others) for a ride and buy the one which you like best. With your mechanical background you should be able to tell if you're riding a good/well cared for example.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #27
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,327
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
I figgered....but knew what Bobby meant too....
Thanks Firefog, I thought you meant SuperTen

Vegas, when were you going to tell me or were you just letting me run to the end of my lead?
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #28
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
This is a "No Brainer"... buy a GS period. If you're not digging it at any point, put it up for sale. Resale is one of the strongest of any bike ever, there's a reason for this.

Pay no attention to the BS your friends have said, they would love to own a GS if they could. I can't tell you the number of times some jackfuck riding a Vstrom or a KLR has told me how they can have two compared to what I paid for the GS, etc. Nothing wrong with those bikes, they're great...just not what I want to ride. The entry price into the GS market is not for everyone, but you wont regret owning a GS.
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #29
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Thanks Firefog, I thought you meant SuperTen

Vegas, when were you going to tell me or were you just letting me run to the end of my lead?
No...I knew you and I were talking about the STen...
Old 09-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #30
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsB View Post
but you wont regret owning a GS.
We hope of course..if he ends up like KCM1..sitting in a foreign country..waiting weeks for a final drive..he may look at it differently..