Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #46
advFord
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
just ahead of you

Hey Billy,

I'm in Guadalajara now (went from Creel to Parral, Durango, Zacatecas to here)
Where ya headed next? I'm racing to Mexico City to see the Muse concert on Sunday night. Glad you're ok from that road. I was sick of the rain so I didn't make it Batopilas and the other roads. I was wondering where all the narcos were. Guess you found them!
Facebook
Instagram @PlacesBeyond My Spot
advFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #47
billy the kid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Smokin along Dan ! Would have been hell going down into Bato after the rain . And more getting out again.
I am in Sayulita . Was thinking of heading into Guat , but the idea of a swim won out .
I am going to chill here tomorrow and roll on South on Sunday , well that is the loose plan .
Might miss Mex City and stay a bit coastal . We won't be far away
Old 10-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #48
billy the kid OP
Adventurer

A few pics from the last 2 days Culiacan to Sayulita .
Nothing too interesting , just a road through Mexico and covering some ground .
But ..
This little chap caught my eye when I stopped for a feed .

And then had a nice chat with these guys
Roll through Mazatlan

Get some fuel

Roll on to Tepic and meet Pablo
Stay in a nice motel and in the morning can't decide if I should take the Merc or the Bimmer
Nice and cool on the road out of Tepic , bit confused about where I was going to go Guadalajara ?
No traffic either , well .... sometimes

Im in no hurry today so we can smell the
And change our mind , and head to the coast . Puerto Vallarta sound good
Mesilas is my sort of town for a bite to eat

But take care of the guard dog !
Forty Peso's included coffee
Checked out some great copper pans and met Javior ,

and had a good chat . He suggested heading back up the road a little and staying here .
Which was a great idea , nearly cooked wearing ATGATT trying to find a place to stay , but , all worked out fine .

So down the beach
And had a couple of frostys looking out here .

So not much to report really

Did I mention how much I am liking Mexico yet ???
Old 10-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #49
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
ahhhhh

Mazatlan .... Puerto Vallarta ... been to both but not by bike ....

.... you lucky, lucky bastard ..... HA!

hwunger screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 09:43 AM
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #50
billy the kid OP
Adventurer

After I left Sayulito , headed down Mex 200 . Wanted to put a few miles on but not just straight and boring roads .
Made Tecoman Sunday night and found the place to be pretty dead , being a Sunday I suppose . Just a hotel but hot water , WiFi and A/C . No booze for sale at the OXXO , what ? Its Sunday . But some excellent Taco's @ 50 cents each . Got lost in the one way streets of town , but by luck more than anything made it back to the hotel OK . Slept the sleep of the innocent .

Wanted to push on through Michoacan as I had a few locals tell me to be cautious . Great riding , Just twisting and turning up and down . Excellent , but always mindful of the changes in surfaces and all the possibilities around the next corner , cow , worker etc etc .
Overcast and not too hot , so great riding .
Had a warning from a friendly Mex gentleman about the weather , pity I wasn't fully understanding .
Fuel a few miles before Lazaro Cardenas , and a great chat with Sophia from Florida . She and her husband live part time down here . Surfing .
She had a warning about Hurricane Raymond . Ah OK , those dark overcast skys are for real then !!
Another tip or 2 from Sophia and I was off to finish the day in Zihuatanejo . And at the Hotel suggested by Sophia . BUT we got rain . Steady rain , no wind tho .
Pretty wet by the time I got sorted with the hotel , but hot water and more excellent Tacos , crap bed , but I didn't notice .

Still raining yesterday morning , but no interested in Zihuatanejo and wanting to get to Oaxaca and do a little servicing on Orchy , I set off in damp gear but not cold .
AND THEN IT GOT WORSE
Rain picked up and progress slowed . Roads seemed to be getting more works done to them , and half done road works and diversions don't like rain .
Traffic was pretty well behaved , and courteous , but the roads got worse and the rain kept coming .

I had wanted to avoid Acapulco , but the short answer is I didn't .
I got sucked into a vortex and ended up is total chaos heading deeper into Aca .
First a flooded road , single lane , but two if you are a VW Beetle taxi . Bow waves looked great , but frightened the hell outta me . Got on quick pic , but no good car / wave action . Wet gloves and non waterproof camera not with standing .
AND THEN IT GOT WORSE

The road runs into a construction site and it becomes a free for all of buses cars and taxis weaving between the new piers for a new flyover bridge . And this surface is pot holes 10 feet wide and unknown depth
The sounds of VW engine cases scraping gave some idea on the depths . Standing with my visor open to get better vision , rain still coming down , it was "F#$K You Im coming through" . I had to keep some momentum as slipping the clutch in first gear wasn't great .
Made it through there and into a tunnel after seeing a sign for the Hotel Zone or something . The Lady in the toll booth gave more dirrections .
Following these and the tall looking buildings I turned right into ANOTHER totally flooded road with water over a foot deep and waves from traffic rebounding off the kerbs and back into the surf It sounds like fun now nearly 24 hrs later but at the time it was I WANT OUT OF THIS

So into a big Flash looking joint , parked in the drive through reception area ( well drove in twice as I couldn't get the angle right to get the bike onto its stand right , so did a quick out and against the traffic and back in )
Wet gear and credit card and into the marble tiled reception area .

Do you know how big a puddle can form under you while you check in ???

Got a huge surprise when the tariff was quite reasonable , well compared to US and AUS prices .
Happy Days , Valet Parking too . Well , I did offer Roberto the keys but we both knew it was me doing the parking
But Roberto brought the trolley into the garage and stacked all my soaking gear on top . Then lead the way to the lifts .
I did suggest I take my boots off to Rob , which he thought was a good idea , and was quite amused at how much water can be poured out of each boot . Waterproof Gortex and all .
So in sodden socks Roberto and I got my gear into room 409 and I have made myself very much at home . Drying out and relaxing .

This was interesting too

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/21/world/...ather-raymond/

And the size of my Puddle ?? About 4 feet by 3 feet . And as an added bonus 3 cleaners standing by watching made me break into laughter by their little giggles and chatting and smiling at me . Not every day a total wacko checks into your Hotel .

From previous Storms , but it was coming up again and forces were out checking on the diversions

The Streets of Acapulco

Mind if I park here ?

Wrong Hand Lotion maybe ?

Well ? I needed the bath !

Brought a friend too

Cheers Bill
Old 10-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #51
billy the kid OP
Adventurer

A pretty hot ride down to Puerto Escondido , and I knew I was feeling right .
Got a cheap room and just laid down with the A/C going . No energy at all .
An then it started First my stomach decided to loose that roadside meal of Bistek Mexican . And later the other end .
So I sit here , after popping a few pills brought for these troubles , wondering when may be a good time to leave the security of the Banos and hit the road to Oaxaca .
Would love to stay here and wander around , seems a great place to stop and chill , or to head down the coast more to Puerto Angel .
But the spirit is weak right now and I have plans to service Orchy in Oaxaca .
So wish me luck , when I finally decide to ride out from here .
Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #52
kevinsinvegas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Good Times...until

Sounds like great times! Its all part of the adventure.

If/when you head north, you've got a place to stay in vegas.

Keep the reports coming.

fjr1300 - Sold
KTM 530 EXC - Rockn' it!
kevinsinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #53
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
I'm in.

Gotta follow along on your trip, sounds like fun so far. One question, why Peru as a destination? I've been interested in going there myself.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #54
billy the kid OP
Adventurer

Gday Rockmuncher
And Thanks Kevin , great offer Mate .

Peru as my destination all started with my daughter "allowing" me to go and meet her in Cusco to walk to Machu Pichu .
And it just developed into a bike journey from there .

I have been waiting around in del Tule , relaxing and sharing some good times with Calvin and Leanne from Overland Oasis .
Waiting a lot , for some parts from MaxBMW . They did their job fine , but UPS till hasn't done theirs .
I have changed all the fluids on the bike . Not really due , but a great time to get this done with Calvin around to help , hold or supply a bucket or drain tray .
I also checked and adjusted the valve clearances and end lash on the rocker arms . All a bit loose really . Hoping this will keep a tapping noise down that seemed a little too loud to me .
Going to hit the road a bit later and get a few more miles ticked off as I am now feeling a bit of pressure to get to Stahlratte on time .

The rear pads were stuffed , lucky I got some in the BMW in Oaxaca . Why they only recently before I purchased this bike , did they replace the rear disc and not put new pads in has got me baffled
Marena the assistant BMW mechanic dog
Local Products
May have had more Mezcal than the young bloke [URL=http://s22.photobucket.com/user/thekid39/media/US%20to%20Peru/Oaxaca%20and%20del%20Tule/DSC01708.jpeg.html][/URL
Local market Pecans [URL=http://s22.photobucket.com/user/thekid39/media/US%20to%20Peru/Oaxaca%20and%20del%20Tule/DSC01802.jpeg.html][/URL
Checked out the Tree
Not in THE Tree but
Old 11-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #55
billy the kid OP
Adventurer

Smashed on to Guatemala , and had a shitfight at the border crossing . My first experience with helpers

Didn't help to have not checked to make sure my passport had actually had a stamp placed in it at Agua Prieta / Douglas . But Mex imigration were OK , well my Tourist Card was all OK .
Maybe 7 hours from first hitting the crossing to getting into this awesome Hotel .

Cheers to the ADV rider who said Gday with his lovely pillion at the Mex area of the crossing , I was pretty rattled at that point and forgot your name . Sorry .

But found salvation a few miles in from the Frontera at Real Pacifico Hotel , thanks to the advice from the lady in Guat customs .

More soon .
Old 11-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #56
billy the kid OP
Adventurer

Been Slack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRU3W...ature=youtu.be

Into Costa Rica , just a little vid . Takes forever to upload
Old 11-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #57
billy the kid OP
Adventurer

Really Slack

I have been really slack with posting here , sorry .
Right now I am in Taganga just past Santa Marta , Colombia .
Great little town , I just tagged along with some crew I met on Stahleratte .

Have managed a little vid from my time on the Ratte . It got a little rough out in the open waters , but I am now sure that being on Stahleratte is worth the expense , just to feel a little safe if the waters get rough .

Have met a couple of ADV riders on the trip Trevor and Dave from Canada . Great guys . Well Dave is , not sure about Trevor yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iti0l...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #58
kevinsinvegas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Roll on

Glad to see you are still rolling along.

fjr1300 - Sold
KTM 530 EXC - Rockn' it!
kevinsinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #59
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,663
just wow, I've been on the northern Mexico portion on my moto and had a medical mission in Cusco with time in the Sacred Valley and Machu Pichu sans moto.

Stay safe and keep the ride report coming mate! This is an outstanding adventure and I'm subscribed. Thanks for the efforts of posting on the road.

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:02 AM   #60
billy the kid OP
Adventurer

I have had every intention of keeping up to date with this report , but time , booze and poor internet are making me slack .

I am in Popayan Colombia right now after a tough ride from Espinal . I am in good company , Trevor and Mark from Stahleratte crossing .
Last 60 odd miles yesterday was over a rough dirt/rock road , and in light rain most of the day .

Beemer (Orchy) is going fine . Possum scraper suffered yesterday and I may have to take it off this morning .
Mark's KLR shock , an aftermarket Progressive , has given up .
Trevor's Vstrom 1000 seems to be going fine , even if it doesn't like pot holes very much .

My Anakee 3's are not letting me down (no real mud) and surprise me with the way they handle the rocky gravel roads . I don't push it too hard at all tho .
They are also pretty good on wet roads too .

Trev has Heidy K60s and they surprise me at how well they are working .

Heading south again today , a slow start . Pretty tired still after 2 solid days . Guetape to Espinal and now Popayan .

Cheers Bill