User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #1
SeikoKid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Under seat battery ??

Would like to know more about how the battery for an R65 can be supported in the seat?
Mentioned have been slimline glass batteries but my research has shown they are expensive?

I am wanting the seat to remain flat to allow 2 riders. Is it possible? Are there any links please

Thanks
SeikoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
What is wrong with the original battery mount?
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
R100LT
Chasing 11

Oddometer: 626
Give me a few days and I will post the pics of hiding the battery in the air cover of my R65 . Been " pissing " down here .. wettest September in 90 years
Old 09-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
sammm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I've seen a few airheads where the battery rests in a 'dropped box' in the subframe. Just as though the battery is going to be hidden in a cafe cowl, but dropped 2" to make way for a bench seat. Looked good, and quite subtle. Can't find a picture of it at the moment, though.

Another option would be hiding it below the gearbox/swingarm. I prefer this option, personally, and would definitely be doing it if I were making my bike for 2-up riding:

http://www.bikeexif.com/bmw-r80-2
sammm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
SeikoKid OP
Adventurer

that would be great to see some pics please when you get time :)
Old 09-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
Sabre170
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
I made a little box (painted it black) for mine and mounted it under my seat. I'm still able to use my stock 2 person seat.

Sabre170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
big_mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Lithium batteries seem to be a popular choice. They are smaller though no less powerful than the stock battery. Weigh a lot less too, so you can fit them under a seat hump, for example, without messing up your bikes weight distribution.
big_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
What is wrong with the original battery mount?
+1. Longer battery cables and most always moving the weight to a worse spot as far as handling is concerned. It's usually a loose/loose proposition but that is usually what going for a look gets you. Look at choopers.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
SeikoKid OP
Adventurer

I like the sound of lithium batteries but they do cost . Some one elsewhere mentioned glass matt slimline batteries ?

I'd like to hide the battery under the seat to clean up the frame. I want it though to not be visible
Some great ideas mentioned here , especially the under gearbox method. here in the UK I would suffer with that due to the amount of rain we get!
Hidden away , nice n dry please

Looking forward to seeing the air box method :)
Old 09-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,569
Here's what I did for Schmidt's one. The steel was a bit thin so made another with thicker steel & a tad longer so I could mount a main switch on it. I have a different seat on now which drops down lower hiding it a bit more.
I found those Motobatts are actually quite cheap for their benefits (for an off roadish bike anyway)

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=549
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
Sabre170
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Here's what I did for Schmidt's one. The steel was a bit thin so made another with thicker steel & a tad longer so I could mount a main switch on it. I have a different seat on now which drops down lower hiding it a bit more.
I found those Motobatts are actually quite cheap for their benefits (for an off roadish bike anyway)

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=549
1+

I like this. Very similar concept to what I did, but this is a buch better build than mine. I like the "wings" that hold it on the frame.....I used some electrical conduit holders, and seemed to work fine....not neary as clean of a look as yours.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:23 AM   #12
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre170 View Post
1+

I like this. Very similar concept to what I did, but this is a buch better build than mine. I like the "wings" that hold it on the frame.....I used some electrical conduit holders, and seemed to work fine....not neary as clean of a look as yours.
Damn i'm a sparky & didn't even think about that. Thanks for the compliments - I don't often get them about my modifications so I'm taking it

Padmei screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 01:58 AM
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeikoKid View Post
I like the sound of lithium batteries but they do cost . Some one elsewhere mentioned glass matt slimline batteries ?

I'd like to hide the battery under the seat to clean up the frame. I want it though to not be visible
Some great ideas mentioned here , especially the under gearbox method. here in the UK I would suffer with that due to the amount of rain we get!
Hidden away , nice n dry please

Looking forward to seeing the air box method :)
anyone worried about cost of slimline AGM would not be a candidate for a properly sized LiFePO4.

anytime one moves from original battery tray/cables. be extra careful with positive side connections. this goes X10 for LiFePO4 batteries. they discharge violently at full tilt. heat generated are equal to Arc welding.

dead shorts on LiFePO4 installs on custom bikes are suspected of causing the fire that burnt it to a crisp.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
edray
cascadian

Oddometer: 224
stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Damn i'm a sparky & didn't even think about that. Thanks for the compliments - I don't often get them about my modifications so I'm taking it

diggin the stickers..
edray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
Sabre170
Gnarly Adventurer

Vorgoingon/vorwerkingon..... "Before Going On"/"before working on"? Is my horrid translation correct?

I call that a smart man's idiot switch.

Is that simply an inline battery cut-off switch? If so, how beefy (current rating) is that switch? I'd think that when starting the bike, you'd pull enough juice to toast that switch...no?