User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Airbox Eliminator Project

Warning: Airhead purists should hit the back button on their browser now! The below post shows airhead parts that have been modified and transformed to play a different role on the motorcycle. You have been warned.

Ok, with the formalities and disclaimer out of the way, I reached a near finished state on my airbox eliminator mod. I got the inspiration for this project from Mattcfish. I saw a post by him showing his airbox eliminator, and I was inspired to try something similar myself.

The concept was simple......take a front cover and a timing belt cover, flip 180°, cut and chop, and viola! Well, not quite that simple, but you get the jist. It was a bit like trying to fit an octagon over a circle. The shape of the back side of the engine/starter cover doesn't exactly match up with the flipped timing cover, but it close enough. It will take a close look to notice it.

Ultimately I am pretty happy with it. It brings some "front to back" symmetry on the bike. There is one thing, however, that bothers me slightly.....the portion of the timing chain cover that has the flat horizontal strip. When mounted on the front of the bike, this strip lines up with the bikes label strip that is connected to the starter cover. However, when the timing cover is flipped, the very small angles involved With the bike end up causing the starter cover's strip label to not line up well with the blank, flat horizontal bar on the now reversed timing cover. (If I've lost ya, take a look at the photos below....you will see the downward angle of the blank horizontal strip and the lack of lining up with the black engine label.

Here is where you all come in......I'm curios if anyone has any creative suggestions to make this look better. I thought maybe a small bmw roundel mounted there, but not sure how that would look. Maybe I'm just being too critical or maybe not.

I'd love to hear any suggestions. (Except for a suggestion to get rid of the pods and go back to the airbox )

Sabre170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,582
Yes, It looks pretty bad. Hacked on, not integrated.

I would start with a later model top cover. This won't rise in the rear. Then your rear piece will stick up. So line it up to the top cover and cut the bottom to any needed angle to drop it down and get the correct fit.

You still have to deal with the sucky pod filters, but that's another day.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,649
I have no problems with going pod and removing the airbox, or cafe boxers in general, I like them done right.

But that looks really bad, like afterthought wonky bad lines, bad.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
I like them done right.
My thoughts exactly.......if I can't figure out how to make the lines work, I be putting the "standard" plate back on, but would be quite pleased if I could get it to work out.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,037
Makes it look like the engine doesn't know whether it's coming or going!

"Which end's the front?" Dave Aldana before his first ride on the Elf F1 bike.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,037
It was a noble effort, anyway.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,568

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,488
I think if you had used an earlier, non-ribbed cover it would have looked a lot better. I swear I've seen that basic idea used before, but using only the front cover, not the timing cover too, and It looked pretty good.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
I think if you had used an earlier, non-ribbed cover it would have looked a lot better. I swear I've seen that basic idea used before, but using only the front cover, not the timing cover too, and It looked pretty good.
My concern with using a non ribbed timing cover is the fact that the timing cover doesn't match perfectly with the back of the engine. The ribbed style did an ok job at masking the fact that the two don't line up perfect. I think the smooth timing covers would make the mismatch blaringly obvious.

As for seeing it before.....you likely saw what was my inspiration for this project. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=653165&page=9 post #126. His looks so much better than mine. Where I used the timing cover, he made metal fins custom cut, and separated by some sort of spacer. Sadly, I don't have the tools shape aluminum well enough like he did. Maybe I can find some local metal shop that can work with me a bit and get some similar "fin" plates made.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,488
Right you are, that was the one I was remembering. Seeing it again, I realize that it wasn't as simple of a rig as I had remembered. I don't think your effort looks half as bad as folk on here seem to think.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,582
stick the original airbox back in there and take a pic....

As long as you are going to do a pointless cover with nothing under it that makes the bike heavier and in general blows off the cafe ethos**, why don't you start with the stock cover and see where you can go with it?

BTW, take that picture looking strait in from the side so it can be sketched over.

**I'm pretty subtle, huh?

Plaka screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 09:25 AM
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,807
I am definitely no purist. I love seeing bikes modified to WORK. I hate seeing them modified for a look that doesn't work but, then again, I don't care for choppers. Personally, I have had better luck with everything working with airboxes but . . . .

Those filters do not work without oil. They work better yet dirty with oil. The dirt holds the oil in.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I am definitely no purist. I love seeing bikes modified to WORK. I hate seeing them modified for a look that doesn't work but, then again, I don't care for choppers. Personally, I have had better luck with everything working with airboxes but . . . .

Those filters do not work without oil. They work better yet dirty with oil. The dirt holds the oil in.
Why not mist them with the K&N oil?
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
KhaoSanMan
Airhead

Oddometer: 581
I think it's pretty cool you tried to recycle an old part for this. Looks like a great place to stash some... documents and stuff.

#3 - BMW Motorrad Mull aus der Hölle
KhaoSanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
TelemarkSean
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
As you said, the ribs aren't vertical and it looks kinda messy.

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2013/7/...t-carnera.html

I don't like pods on airheads but here's a link to one of my favorite airbox-eliminator mods. (I'm not a fan of the bike overall, though.) The cover actually changes the lines of the engine a bit and i think it looks ok. They put the ignition lock/switch in the new cover which is as good a place for it as any, I guess, and kind of justifies having the cover as opposed to simply removing it or maybe doing a minimalist boxermetal-style cover.

If you really want save weight, your cover probably doesn't save you much vs. the original airbox. If you just want to change the lines of the bike, you're still not doing a lot if you're replacing the cover with something that is essentially the same shape as the original cover.

Anyway, I suggest something like what they did with the r80 "scrambler" that I linked above. You can probably find a clever way to tuck the choke body in there too so that you don't have to have it up on your bars.
TelemarkSean is offline   Reply With Quote