Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
Jeff Munn OP
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,934
Goose Bay and beyond (Final portion posted)

What the heck, if I don't start this soon, it will never get done.

What follows is a ride of lethargic proportions. What began as a great boastful idea late at night around a campfire, suddenly became a reality when the cosmos aligned properly. So with the confidence inspired by pure ignorance, becoyote and I launched on our summer expedition to the Great White North. The goal? Ride the Trans-Labrador Highway to Goose Bay, then home thru Newfoundland, taking in as much of the Canadian Maritimes as we possibly could, never back-tracking, camping the entire way, and keeping the expenses to under $50 a day. Shear lunacy according to every Canadian we met! But then again, most of them didn't even know The Trans-Labrador Highway existed, and none of them had ever met a true Advrider either...

Backtracking a bit: I had met becoyote ( hereafter referred to by his code name of Brian) earlier this year thru Advrider. We both live in southeastern Virginia and soon started swapping tales and sniffing each other's garages. Then we did an adventure GS weekend to West Virginia to check out each other's riding styles. You can find that Ride Report here........

Found out we had similar styles of packing our bikes, and decided to try something a little different.

So with the loving understanding of our wives and insurance policies current, we blasted north in pursuit of fame and glory. The next couple of weeks was the type of ride we had dreamed about, with surprises almost everyday. Riding desolate yet pristine regions on roads bulldozed out of nowhere, moose, real Viking settlements, fjords, face-plants, screech, shipwrecks, whales, campfire camaraderie with fellow riders, 2 nations, 3 time zones, 5 provinces, 6 ferries, 15 days, 30 foot tides, 700+ miles of unpaved roads, and 1535 km across one of the last mainly untouched provinces in Canada... Labrador. I swear it will be weeks before I get this damn grin off my face. Boy howdy, did we have fun.

Now all I have to do is get off my ass and start posting some pictures..

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 12-31-2005 at 07:08 AM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:22 AM   #2
Metal Doc
Duc addicted

Oddometer: 1,446

Please do post more.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Old 08-16-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,752
This is gonna be good.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:40 PM   #5
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,290

Lookin' forward to this tale
Old 08-16-2005, 01:19 PM   #6
GSGIRL
Neither here nor there

Oddometer: 5,054
This looks good.

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see.

SmugMug Coupon: guwbixLxjaoTI
Save $5! I did!
GSGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:00 PM   #7
richro-vs
Rider

Oddometer: 37
Laugh

I have ridden with becoyote on the dragon a couple of times. Up with the pics.
richro-vs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
Dave Lee
Dave Lee

Oddometer: 13
Goose Bay and Beyond.

Good one Jeff. I enjoyed your first episode of the trip up north and will look forward to the rest. I take it that all that wood wasn't to build a stockade to keep the Canadians out of your tent?
Cheers.
Dave Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:25 PM   #9
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,255
Hey Rich! Hope those lights went together well. Just gotta be patient with the pics I think we have about 700. Toughest part is deciding which ones to post.
Out 700 pics I think we probably have 4 or 5 hundred good ones.

Fun ride.

Brian
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:31 PM   #10
gary5410
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609

I'm jealous already!
'11 BMW R1200 GS Adventure '09 BMW G450 X '81 BMW R80 G/S '81 BMW R80 G/S Iron Butt #23417
My pics..... http://gary5410.smugmug.com/

And Nachtflug said, "gary5410, your bike no longer sucks. Have a cigar"
gary5410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:11 PM   #11
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
wow
can't wait...
i hope you find a site to host ALL 700 OF THEM!

greg
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:27 PM   #12
richro-vs
Rider

Oddometer: 37
lights

Hey Brian,
Lights went on great and really helped this weekend since I was leaving at 4 in the morning. Autoswitch is awesome. Sorry about my impatience. I will bring Nick if you do a fall ride in WV. Later Rich
richro-vs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:35 PM   #13
Jeff Munn OP
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,934
Heading north to Quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73

Lookin' forward to this tale

I'll try not to disappoint anyone, but all this pressure is killing me....

Here is the best job I could come up with for the entire ride route on one map... Our plan was to ride clockwise. North to Quebec, cross the St. Lawrence River, take the last road in Quebec north the Labrador City, cross Labrador on the Trans-Labrador Highway to Goose Bay, and then the overnight ferry from Goose Bay to Cartwright. From Cartwright we'd run the newest portion of the Trans-Lab (opened in 2004) 200 miles south and back into Quebec, ferry to Newfoundland, explore like the Vikings for several days, ferry to Nova Scotia, do the Cabot Trail, the Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick, and re-enter the USA via island hopping intra-coastal ferries. No worries!

I don't want to bore anyone so I'll just skip the first 700 miles day of pounding up the eastern seaboard. What can I say about the I-95 corridor and trying to get past New York City before rush hour? The only real thrill was starting this trip on what was to become the reoccurring thread of the trip; large bodies of water. Our gateway north was the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, that 18 mile engineering wonder that spans the mouth of the Bay and allows a bypass to Wilmington, Delaware, thus avoiding the lunacy of I-95. Sure it costs $10, but the savings in traffic and stress are priceless. For those of you who have never heard of it, it combines 2 underwater tunnels with 16 miles of bridges to span the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and connect Virginia with the rest of Virginia on the Eastern Shore. The tunnels are there to prevent our Atlantic Fleet from being trapped in port if an enemy dropped a bridge to seal the Bay. I stole this photo from www.cbbt.com

At the end of the day we were safely camped in a Sharp Bridge State Park in the Adirondacks. Happy to be on the road and to have the single biggest mileage day of the trip out of the way early, all we wanted to do was get to Canada and off the interstates. You can tell by the looks on our faces that we loved the first day of riding. Hmmm, beer! Liquid bread and the dinner of champions. And before you ask, no, Brian did not star in The Disney Movie "TRON".

Tomorrow, Quebec! I always wondered if that nasty reputation that Quebecers have was true.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 12-31-2005 at 07:11 AM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:37 AM   #14
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,458
Old 08-17-2005, 04:44 AM   #15
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn
I always wondered if that nasty reputation that Quebecers have was true.
Actually I've found it largely isn't true. Except for the occasional asshole in the vicinity of Quebec city, but then again you'll have that in any big city.

I think the people of Quebec are referred to as "Quebecois", if I'm not mistaken

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote