ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #16
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Shagger View Post
You are confusing Superenduro and Adventure skidplates.
The Blackdog & Slavens for the Adventure are the same, and perfectly acceptable. neither need the "block" shown.
I have both blackdog plates. IMO, the one on the ADV is great, the one on the SE is not really acceptable.
I don't think I'm confusing anything. I'm just talking about the 990 adv plates.
The black dog has the rubber block because it does serve a very good purpose as I described. And if they didn't have it at first, and they added it later, well it's for the reason to make the thing better.
Assuming that the link and photo is of the slavens 990 adv plate, and description appears like it is, it does not seem to mention or have integrated the block, which I believe makes it worse.
Of course neither "need" the block, just like you don't "need" a skid plate at all. But if you do "need" protection, then having the one with the block is better imho.

rburkat screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 04:01 PM
rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 678
Mine has taken some good hits, and the rear mounting tabs did develop a minor s-bend (easily straightened) but I cannot imagine a hit that could cause the plate to punch a hole in the case. I also don't understand the "fix," as it seems like people are fixing a non-issue.

I will say, both the Weld and the BDCW plates are beefier but they're heavier, more expensive and IMHO overkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
The rear mounts are not supported very well on most of the skid plates. They are prone to bending over, sometimes enough to come loose from the mounting point(s). During the same or on the next big hit, the part of the mount perpendicular to the plate can punch a hole in your engine case.

The "fix" that a lot of people use is a bunch of washers meant to capture that rear mount as solid as possible. You don't want that rear mount captured that solid. The stock plate has the oval hole for a reason. They expect flex between the frame mounting point at the rear and the engine mount bracket at the front. The hole is shaped that way for a reason. Capturing that rear mount puts extra stress through the front engine mount and engine itself.

The Weld86 plate uses thicker material for the rear mounting tabs. The thicker material increases the bending strength of those mounting tabs. KTM boxed those rear mounts which makes them stronger in bending than any aftermarket design.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by el queso View Post
I cannot imagine a hit that could cause the plate to punch a hole in the case.
No need to imagine The rider kept riding and didn't even know it happened so it wasn't some catastrophic crash.

In this trip it was a hit direct from below, which bent the plate up, which caused it to hit the kickstand post, and it fractured and broke it off.
I get that this is a differernt plate, but this is why I was saying that it's nice to have a plate with a large rubber stopper under it that will distribute a force instead of causing a big bend in the plate and the plate bend hitting something on the engine. But then again it's only a hole in the engine and saving $100 on a cheaper plate is well worth this minor inconvenience
After all, a little JB weld on the trail and it's as good as new.

rburkat screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 08:26 PM
rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #19
Bartek990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58

But then again it's only a hole in the engine and saving $100 on a cheaper plate is well worth this minor inconvenience
After all, a little JB weld on the trail and it's as good as new.

Hi Radek,
I haven't see that picture. It's Lica's bike? (A sticker did not hold up)
For a $100 you can buy one pound of JB and keep fixing the problem.
Bartek990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #20
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,969
This (link) is part of the reason the BD plate has the rubber block now.

You can check out more skid plate failures in this thread.

Yardstick screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 11:17 PM
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #21
felixblack1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
No plate in the world would have protected the kickstand or protects the kickstand for really hard offroad riding. It is just way to exposed. I know for a fact that my bd plate saved my bike many times. A tt or any other plate would have probably worked just as well the inportant thing is make a decission buy one and get that stock joke of a plate off the bike.
felixblack1 is offline   Reply With Quote