ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
Just Paul OP
Pro Cat Herder
 
Just Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fremont, Ca
Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
A friend just did this,,,, you have to send KTM the cutoff steering head with the VIN... they stamp the old VIN on the new frame. This would result in the same issue as the OP is having,,,, non-repairable or salvage title.

Correct... my current VIN is now marked as None Repairable with the California DMV and State Farm..

I am checking with KTM on if I buy a new frame will I get a new vin and new title
Or I may sell it out of state.. its only marked None Repair in California DMV and possibly with State Farm also..
__________________
Honda 450X (plated)
KTM Adventure S
Paul's SPOT TRACKER

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #17
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty
 
BigNastybrp's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: high speed boogie land, Sunny Ca.
Oddometer: 644
Paul buy the frame off ebay or adv best would be one in this state and in no-op. lets swap it out you can take all your parts for a new one or want if I can take my time I can swap it out. but it will take time Maybe I will get it off you, butt get it back don't give $9000 in after market parts go.
__________________
XR650R Dual Sport 46k+miles just a few mods, XR600R 2500 miles,
KTM ADV990R 7500,
XR1200cc
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #18
Just Paul OP
Pro Cat Herder
 
Just Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fremont, Ca
Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
Paul buy the frame off ebay or adv best would be one in this state and in no-op. lets swap it out you can take all your parts for a new one or want if I can take my time I can swap it out. but it will take time Maybe I will get it off you, butt get it back don't give $9000 in after market parts go.
I am keeping the Bike.. its in my garage... looking to do a frame swap. I found a frame but its a salvage title.. I got the link you sent but just don't know about the 950.. I will post a new thread and see what the inmates say
__________________
Honda 450X (plated)
KTM Adventure S
Paul's SPOT TRACKER

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #19
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!
 
Boatman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Petersburg, NY and Woodbridge, VA
Oddometer: 10,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
Correct... my current VIN is now marked as None Repairable with the California DMV and State Farm..

I am checking with KTM on if I buy a new frame will I get a new vin and new title
Or I may sell it out of state.. its only marked None Repair in California DMV and possibly with State Farm also..
For curiosity I called a couple KTM parts warehouses and asked about buying a frame to tuck away for future needs (Super Enduro). I was told they will only replace a frame/VIN not issue a new unit.

Pretty sure your VIN will always be branded, no matter the state or insurance company. Not sure if any other states are the same but in NY they drop the salvage title after 10 years and you can get an unbranded title.
__________________
08 KTM 950 SE, 09 KTM 950 SE, 04 KTM 950 ADV, 10 Husaberg FE390, 66 Kawasaki B8S Super 150

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
Lennys
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Crackiforia/Baja
Oddometer: 151
Harley guys do this all the time, have this frame cut and fixed
__________________
2013 990 adventure Baja
2010 xcw 530
Lennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #21
Just Paul OP
Pro Cat Herder
 
Just Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fremont, Ca
Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
For curiosity I called a couple KTM parts warehouses and asked about buying a frame to tuck away for future needs (Super Enduro). I was told they will only replace a frame/VIN not issue a new unit.

Pretty sure your VIN will always be branded, no matter the state or insurance company. Not sure if any other states are the same but in NY they drop the salvage title after 10 years and you can get an unbranded title.
Thanks for the info.. That's bad news for me
__________________
Honda 450X (plated)
KTM Adventure S
Paul's SPOT TRACKER

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #22
sieg
Beastly Adventurer
 
sieg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennys View Post
Harley guys do this all the time, have this frame cut and fixed
And how does this get you a clean title?
__________________
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.
Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #23
Falconfixer
It is what it is....
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Lost Wages, Nv
Oddometer: 388
Whats the Ca law on this?

Or would it even get you a clean title? Is there no way to reverse this cursed title in the state of Ca? No chance it can be repaired, then inspected by a certified shop of some sort that can sign off on it saying that the frame has no safety issues and is once again serviceable?
Falconfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #24
sieg
Beastly Adventurer
 
sieg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Oddometer: 2,487
Too late now, but in the future, when the insurance company is going to "total" your vehicle or bike, do this. Let say the bike is worth $10000, and they say it's more than that to fix it. They are going to give you $10000 and take the bike for scrap. So see how much they will want for the scraped bike, generally a couple hundred, lets say $200. Before you take the settlement check, go get an estimate for $9700 to repair the bike. Actually you probably won't even need the estimate just tell them you'll take $9700 and fix it you self. Tell them you would be happy with this amount, they will be too because it cost then less. It won't be "totaled" because the repairs cost less than the value. You get the bike with a clean title for $100 less settlement than you would have with a salvage title. Now you can sell or fix the bike, but you got a good title. I've done it twice with cars.
__________________
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.
Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #25
Just Paul OP
Pro Cat Herder
 
Just Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fremont, Ca
Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Too late now, but in the future, when the insurance company is going to "total" your vehicle or bike, do this. Let say the bike is worth $10000, and they say it's more than that to fix it. They are going to give you $10000 and take the bike for scrap. So see how much they will want for the scraped bike, generally a couple hundred, lets say $200. Before you take the settlement check, go get an estimate for $9700 to repair the bike. Actually you probably won't even need the estimate just tell them you'll take $9700 and fix it you self. Tell them you would be happy with this amount, they will be too because it cost then less. It won't be "totaled" because the repairs cost less than the value. You get the bike with a clean title for $100 less settlement than you would have with a salvage title. Now you can sell or fix the bike, but you got a good title. I've done it twice with cars.

your math is not correct but I get what you are trying to say..

I wont go into all the details but without the frame damage I would have ended up with jack shit after my deductible.. with the frame damage I ended up with over $9k plus the bike
__________________
Honda 450X (plated)
KTM Adventure S
Paul's SPOT TRACKER

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #26
sieg
Beastly Adventurer
 
sieg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Oddometer: 2,487
Case #1
Bike value $10000
Your cost to buy back. $200
Insurance is out. $9800
You get $9800 and a bike with bad title

Case #2
Bike value $10000
Insurance gives you for repairs $9700
You get $9700 and a bike with a good title

Math?
__________________
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.
Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #27
Just Paul OP
Pro Cat Herder
 
Just Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fremont, Ca
Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Case #1
Bike value $10000
Your cost to buy back. $200
Insurance is out. $9800
You get $9800 and a bike with bad title

Case #2
Bike value $10000
Insurance gives you for repairs $9700
You get $9700 and a bike with a good title

Math?
bike value $7400
damage done to the bike with the ding in the frame and aftermarket parts I got $9k / bike/ and deductible paid (Frame is none repair)

Bike value $7400
The estimate without the ding in the frame would have come to $1500 (I have the estimate in hand)
$500 deductible I get $1000

I could have told them the ding in the frame was already there..

I am happy with the outcome I just need a new frame
__________________
Honda 450X (plated)
KTM Adventure S
Paul's SPOT TRACKER

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #28
MooseMagnet
MooseMagnet
 
MooseMagnet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Missoula, Montana
Oddometer: 10
When I crashed my Ducati, the only way to register the vehicle was to have the manufacturer send a new frame with serial number, with my old frame shipped to them prior; so there would be the damaged frame crushed prior to issue. Insurance covers it.
MooseMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #29
geometrician
let's keep going...
 
geometrician's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: West-By-God Virginia
Oddometer: 1,023
KTM North America sells frames without numbers, I sawed a few steering tubes off myself (when I was a KTM Service Manager) to send them off so KTM could re-apply the number on new frames. It's Austria's decision on that one as a VIN'd frame is in essence a complete vehicle for import considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
So see how much they will want for the scraped bike, generally a couple hundred, lets say $200
$200? For a $10,000 bike? Those are the old days for sure... say 1985

I used to be the king of buying my bikes back... nowadays insurance companies know how much all these bikes are worth, how much value is in the parts. Most every major insurer in North America has agreements with salvage/resllers to take ALL their total loss vehicles. If they do "sell it back" to you it ain't gonna be that cheap.

They're in business to MAKE MONEY not give us a good deal on a bike with a dented frame tube
__________________
Britt
'06 KTM 950 Adv 'S'
'03 KTM 250 EXC
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #30
larryboy
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,695
I never call the insurance company on crashed bikes, that way I keep a good VIN and can fix it myself. If one gets stolen I'll call them on that, crashed..never.




Yeah, I know, a little late for that.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014