Oddometer: 151
We started mon apr 1st
Old 09-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #47
Moto Vaquero OP
Trail less traveled

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by MufflerBearings View Post
Moto Vaquero, thank you for providing a Baja fix until I can get down there again in November. If you were there around Semana Santa, we might have crossed paths somewhere around San Felipe/Gonzaga Bay. The photos of San Francisquito are great - one of my favorite places of many favorite places in Baja. And the kids in El Datil are a hoot - they are some of the most enthusiastic sticker grabbers on the peninsula!
You're welcome. I intentionally left the day after Easter to miss Semana Santa. Those Mexicans get loco that whole week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Rage View Post
This looks awesome.

I'm in for the ride!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYNOWTHEN View Post
When did you do this ride?
Like Lenny said, 4/1 - 4-21

21 days exploring Baja
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922187
Moto Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #48
Moto Vaquero OP
Trail less traveled

Day 7 Mulege to Loreto
After spending the night in Mulege, todays ride started out up the same canyon we came down last night for about 10 miles and then took off towards the south on another seldom used route. This went up a steep switchback and down a relentless rocky old road. We only saw one person all the way to La Purisima and he was a goat herder who had scraped out a small rancho up in the hills. About 10 miles before getting to La Purisima I rode across a small stream where the bottom had been concreted for about 70ft. I slowed for this knowing these can be slippery but when Paul came through, he hit it a little hot and everything went for a slide. I actually caught this on camera.
We dropped into La Purisima, filled with gas and munched some burritos and downed them with a couple of Coca Colas. I rarely drink the sugary stuff but I wanted to keep my sugar levels up when burning so much energy day after day. We then rode the crappy road that goes to Comondu. This is where I had my only real dirt sample of the whole trip when I was going down a steep chewed up hill that was littered with baseball to softball size rocks. I was hitting it a little faster than I should have when the front tire hit one of the softball rocks just right (wrong in this case) which threw the front end to the right while I flew off to the left landing between two beach ball size volcanic boulders. No damage to me but sore wrist. The bike was going to be OK with a little straightening but my GPS mount broke (the screws ripped out the back of the plastic holder) but nothing some JB weld didn’t fix.
We rode through the tranquil little town of Comundu, a pretty oasis loaded with date palms. We didn’t hang out and kept moving towards Loreto.
Day 7 route

Up and over the pass

Looking back after going up the switchback

Mucho goats on the trail

Paul diving into the slip n slid

Shake it off...there's no crying in Baja!

Tranquilo Comondu

Nobody about today

You probably wouldn't guess this was Baja

Somewhere between Comondu and San Javier an the way to Loreto

End Day 7

21 days exploring Baja
Old 09-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #49
Moto Vaquero OP
Trail less traveled

Day 8 Loreto to Ciudad Contitucion

Today we rode back up the hill and on through San Javier with the second oldest mission in Baja. The oldest being down the hill in Loreto. Both are still actively used by the locals.
Instead of taking the “normal” route following down the river to the west we turned off and took the 2006 Baja 1000 course which meandered in a more southerly direction. This is a much more interesting way to go and much less used. I raced this section in that Baja 1000 (actually from near San Ignacio>San Juanico>La Purisima>Loreto>Insurgentes.) A large hurricane had blown through there a few weeks before the race and really tore up and flooded the course in this area which made it extra “fun” for all the racers through here. I was having flashbacks of that night while riding through here.
Our ride ended in Ciudad Constitucion where we stayed the night. This is a busy and not the prettiest town in Baja but someplace to munch tacos, swill some beers and lay our heads down. Tomorrow we had a lot of ground to cover.
Just got a few photos today
Todays route:

San Javier

This is a nice ride

We chatted with these two dudes who were gathering firewood.

Taking a break at an abandoned Pemex station. Ciudad Constitucion is not far away from here.

End of day 8

21 days exploring Baja
Old 09-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #50
Moto Vaquero OP
Trail less traveled

Day 7 on Garmin Adventure
http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/b.../#.Ukc_Q4amji0

Day 8on GA:
http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/b.../#.Ukqr8oamji0

21 days exploring Baja

Moto Vaquero screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 04:04 AM
Old 09-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #51
RubberSideUp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Laugh

What beer do cow's drink these days, haha.

I like where this started and where it is going. Awesome ride. Attempt at duplication planned for the near future.

RubberSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #52
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Perfect
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #53
Lennys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSideUp View Post
What beer do cow's drink these days, haha.

I like where this started and where it is going. Awesome ride. Attempt at duplication planned for the near future.

Good thing the wind was blowing the other way !!!! This cow stunk
Old 09-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #54
Moto Vaquero OP
Trail less traveled

Thanks RubberSideUP. You'll have a blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Perfect
Right on tp

And Lenny; you're such a ham when you get around cows

21 days exploring Baja
Old 09-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #55
Moto Vaquero OP
Trail less traveled

Day 9, Ciudad Constitucion to La Paz

We were looking forward to a relatively smooth ride today since the last three days had us both worn out a bit. Well it turned out to be just what the doc ordered, even the BMW crowd could do this route .
We rode into San Luis Gonzaga, a small little town with an old mission. It was like stepping back a couple hundred years in time, nothing much has changed here. There are ancient aquaducts and a small dam to water their vineyard and fruit trees. There is a one classroom school and the kids along with their teacher came out when we stopped. They were all very polite, friendly and take instruction well (our kids could take a lesson). I asked them to get in a line from smallest (mas chico) to tallest (mas grande) and I gave them all stickers. They immediately started a trading game with each other that was pretty funny to watch.
It was a nice scenic ride over the mtns and through the canyons on a fairly nice road. This is a nice ride for anyone and I recommend it. We came to the Sea of Cortez and turned north for a couple of miles to San Evaristo. It’s a picturesque bay and a good anchorage for the sail boats. After some stingray machaca tacos and a couple of cervesas, we hit the road again south along the water and came into La Paz where we rehydrated with some pina coladas and rounded up Pauly. We found Hotel Yeneka where we were staying the night and this place was very strange, in a good way. There are thousands of nic nacs hanging all over the place in a garden like courtyard, pretty trippy.
We were a little burned out on tacos and since we were in a big city we gorged ourselves on Chinese food that was excellent and explored some of the town.
The next day I spent most of the day working on the bike with new tires, tubes, filters, valve adjustment, etc. with Pauly’s help. (Thanks Pauly). I was only a little over 1/3 of the way through the trip at 1300 miles and the rest of it I would be flying solo so prepping the bike was essential.
Day 9 route:

San Luis Gonzaga

"All right. y'all listen up here, I have stickas"

"That's what I'm talkin about"

That's where we're headed

Ahh, back to the SoC!

San Evaristo

The palapa/restaurant y cervesaria

Back on the road to La Paz

Yup, time for a cold one, today was a litle warm.

Roling into La Paz. The melecon.

Dunlop m71 with 1300 miles. Not bad.

Maxxis desert IT held up well. Both get ditched tomorrow for new rubber.

OOPS
Here we go;

Paul voicing his approval of Hotel Yeneka

Whoa, I need some shrooms This place is far out!

Pauly digs it

Tis horse is made from coconut tree husks

Pretty good job

End of day 9

21 days exploring Baja
Old 09-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #56
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Vaquero View Post
San Evaristo

How was the road before you get to Evaristo?

It had been pretty washed out when we were there in Feb.

That's a cool horse!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #57
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,017
Excellent report and pics!

I should NOT read Baja RRs.

Now I'm thinking...
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #58
Moto Vaquero OP
Trail less traveled

Garmin Adventure Track:
http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/b.../#.Ukn0Loamji0

Hi Wan, the road gets a little tricky (rocky and a couple of ruts) for those on a big bike before San Evaristo but no problem for a dirt bike

21 days exploring Baja
Old 09-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #59
Moto Vaquero OP
Trail less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn View Post
Excellent report and pics!

I should NOT read Baja RRs.

Now I'm thinking...
Thanks Humunn, That "thinking" part is what gets it all started

21 days exploring Baja
Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #60
Moto Vaquero OP
Trail less traveled

Day 11 La Paz to Santiago
I am solo now for the rest of the trip, another 1800 miles. You feel that danger factor rise a bit and it’s always a little thrilling when you know it’s just you.
Today I’ll be headed to Bahia de Los Muertos and then ride on down the East Cape with no real plan, just see where I end up. I have options (a benefit of riding solo) and time is no concern as I have told everyone I was “gone” for the entire month of April.
Once making my way through the crazy maze of La Paz and finding the right road then up a beat up rocky switchback, it didn’t take long to get to Bahia de Los Muertos (bay of the dead for you gringos) then hang a right and this is where you find the premo beaches and miles of riding on the sand. I rode through the little town of Los Barriles and even though there were a lot of Americanos running about , this will be a nice place to bring the “girls” for a week. I rode the beach from there to Buena Vista Resort where six of us spent a week about 8 years ago. I hung out at the pool bar for a while munching nachos and downing a couple pina coladas…yum. The price was too high to fit my budget to stay the night and I wanted to ride anyways.
I got back on the beach and rode down to Cabo Pulmo where the story is that this is the most northern coral reef in the eastern pacific. After leaving there, I rode down an almost deserted beautiful white sand beach where I saw a large sail boat beached just above the tide. There was a pile of goods that obviously had been salvaged off the boat up higher away from the water. Two heads popped out from the pile and lo and behold there’s Capn Ron, actually I don’t recall his name but some dude with long hair and his girl friend. He said that he went down stairs to lay down next to his girlfriend “for a minute” and next thing you know they were beached. It had also been the highest tide of the month so his only chance of getting it off with tugs wouldn’t be for a month or he would just scrap it…bummer.
I rode as far as La Vinorama and said goodbye to the Sea of Cortez as I cruzed up some windy dirt roads through the hills and to the hwy and turned back north towards Mira Flores. As I was buzzing up the hwy a huge hive of honey filled bees flew into me (or me into them). I thought I was going to be a pin cushion for their stingers but not a single sting! I had honey on everything though and I couldn’t even see out of my goggles.
I arrived in the pretty and quiet little town of Mira Flores and stopped for a cold soda but there was no hotels here so I took some little dirt back roads up to Santiago where I found the little gem El Palomar Hotel. I was the only customer so I got a lot of attentive service from the manager (Lenny). Yup, another Lenny. This place is in the mtns so it stays much cooler. There are trees and many cooing doves and other birds here, a piece of paradise. This was perfect.

Day 11 route:

La Paz melecon, heades the other way

Bahia de Los Muertos

...and the way I'll be going...south

Near Los Barriles

Los Barriles

Ohh yah

Buena Vista

"I'm gonna hurt you!"

Time for a break. This is tough

Cap'n Rons beached boat

Cabo Pulmo