User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
lhendrik OP
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,283
Trade two bikes in, buy a new GSA?

Really pissed that the new 2014 Water Buffalo GSA is now announced. I like it. I am thinking of trading both my bikes, an 08 K1200GT and an 09 R12GSA to get one. Both bikes are out of warranty and the thought of a major $$$ failure makes me sick.

Anyone have experience trading in two bikes to buy one new one? I hate selling stuff, can't take the pressure of negotiating and meeting strangers at my home. Anyway, any thoughts appreciated.

1. I know I will take a beating from the dealer on the trades....

2. I will take off all the farkles to sell separately......
Old 10-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,969
Your dealer sell on consignment?
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Poway
SHED (Shit Head)

Oddometer: 484
Do it!!
Poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Really pissed that the new 2014 Water Buffalo GSA is now announced. I like it. I am thinking of trading both my bikes, an 08 K1200GT and an 09 R12GSA to get one. Both bikes are out of warranty and the thought of a major $$$ failure makes me sick.

Anyone have experience trading in two bikes to buy one new one? I hate selling stuff, can't take the pressure of negotiating and meeting strangers at my home. Anyway, any thoughts appreciated.

Yes, we traded in two vehicles on one ... (did that twice) and didn't learn our lesson either time! What a beating; but, we are happy that someone got our BMW convert that will use it more than we did.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
mycirus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
So you are worried about spending cash on a major failure that most likely wont happen, yet you will loose about the same amount of money trading in the bikes to have piece of mind to have a warranty for a major repair which again may or may not happen. Hmmm... You have 2 great bikes. Either you want a new one or not. I wouldnt sweat the the breakdown. Plus you have a spare bike. If you need to save up for 6 months to pay for a repair, then you are still riding. I think you are worried about nothing. But get the new bikes if it makes you happy.
mycirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:28 AM   #6
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,824
Why not post your current bikes on the flea market here and see what happens.. Sell one keep the second for trade. Then you will maximize cash, and save on sales tax... I have an 08gsa and am drooling over the bubble boxer. The problem is the 08 is such a faithful friend I just don't want to part with it.. I'm just going to try to resist the urge...

You stable is pretty sweet as it is, no shame in standing pat
Old 10-11-2013, 04:39 AM   #7
machyoung
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:

"I've experienced many terrible things in my life, a few of them have actually happened"

Mark Twain
machyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:24 AM   #8
Lokey
redneck

Oddometer: 252
Man up. It is not all THAT terrible to sell your own bike. I have bought and sold a couple of dozen bikes in my lifetime and I have yet to have a serious emotional trauma over the process.

Quote:
So you are worried about spending cash on a major failure that most likely wont happen, yet you will loose about the same amount of money trading in the bikes to have piece of mind to have a warranty for a major repair which again may or may not happen. Hmmm... You have 2 great bikes. Either you want a new one or not. I wouldn't sweat the the breakdown. Plus you have a spare bike. If you need to save up for 6 months to pay for a repair, then you are still riding. I think you are worried about nothing. But get the new bikes if it makes you happy.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This pretty much says it all....
Lokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
lhendrik OP
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,283
Thanks for all the support and advice. Having slept on it and read this I am now sane again and will not trade my bikes to buy the latest toy. Sanity returns. New bike fever disaster averted.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
GP1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by machyoung View Post
"I've experienced many terrible things in my life, a few of them have actually happened"

Mark Twain
LOL. So true, unfortunately so true. As you get older you realize all the stupid worrying you did that was for naught.
GP1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
Quote:

I say trade, case in point;

I have been half ass trying to sell my 2010 Adventure, want the '14 GT Sport, one of the dealers I talked to on the East Coast (there is a prospective buyer there) will sell me a GT at list, I would deliver my bike and all the farkles that go with it, talked too another dealer that I have bought three new Beemers from and they to would sell for list, the dealer 15 minutes away will give me a very generous trade value, knock a grand off list, and I keep all my farkles but the panniers and BDCW bash plate, I can conservatively sell the take offs for $1500, I am way ahead...Becomes a no brainer.

I don't know if dealers will discount the wasser buff or not, but they might during the winter.

I am sure I will eventually get another GSA, I know I will miss the "Cat Bike" but the GT gives me wood...
1981 CB900C
I'm not a glass half empty or full guy, I am just happy to have the damn glass!
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
srpuywa
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 427
Put them on eBay - I've sold a couple on there and also on Craigslist
Old 10-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,807
Quote:
Thanks for all the support and advice. Having slept on it and read this I am now sane again and will not trade my bikes to buy the latest toy. Sanity returns. New bike fever disaster averted.
Good job! It pains me to see how dealers scam trade-in people.

They have their bottom line which involves making way more on used trade-in bikes then they do on new bikes,maybe its worse with cars but the one time we did it,it sucked and I felt like a fool for even talking to the sharks.

I got better at selling my stuff myself.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,998
If the new Buffalo is as good as they claim there just might be a glut of used GS's on the market.You might want to move fast.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #15
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Keep telling yourself that. Once it is launched, you WILL feel differently!