Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
trc.rhubarb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,956
OK brake off, still makes the noise. Sounds like maybe a rough spot on a race or a single bearing...
For sure coming from FD and I can hear it loudest through my giant screwdriver stethoscope when its on the black dust cover that is on the axle hole... vs the lug side.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
OK brake off, still makes the noise. Sounds like maybe a rough spot on a race or a single bearing...
For sure coming from FD and I can hear it loudest through my giant screwdriver stethoscope when its on the black dust cover that is on the axle hole... vs the lug side.
Did you pop off the dust cover?

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #18
trc.rhubarb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Did you pop off the dust cover?

Jim
I did but all was clean and no sound amplification by not having it there.
It has evolved to a creaky sound but it's for sure coming from the FD area.

I can hear it, I can feel it but I can't isolate it. Without the tire, I can't get it to 'grind'. It seems to need to be loaded somewhat... the more weight it's supporting the louder the noise.

I'm not sure there is much more help you guys can offer without me being willing to open up the FD. Since it's getting covered by warranty, I'm hesitant to give them any reason to deny the claim.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I'll be sure to update with what they find out probably next week Friday...
Old 09-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #19
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Yeah, sounds like it needs to be taken apart and checked.

Jim
Old 09-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #20
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,969
Damn...sorry brother...
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #21
trc.rhubarb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Considering I just got back a few weeks ago from an almost 7k trip on the bike, I feel pretty damn lucky. It waited until I returned to go out

Hopefully I get another 60+k from the repair.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #22
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
OK, so I pulled the driveshaft and it feels fine. The joints move freely and with no slop. Obviously not new but not notchy or loose. No rust on the joints themselves but on the yokes and the splines are still lubed... i'd hope so, just did it 3 weeks ago.
Ok, I guess I buy the beer next time I'm in CA.

Quote -"Riding home late from work tonight and I notice the bike clicking in the parking garage" / "Just did the service a few weeks ago and no shavings or flakes. Oil looked brand new."

You had the shaft off for a lube recently? Did the click appear after the oil change and shaft lube, or did you lube trying to get rid of the click?

billdonna screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 03:48 AM
billdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #23
trc.rhubarb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post
Ok, I guess I buy the beer next time I'm in CA.

Quote -"Riding home late from work tonight and I notice the bike clicking in the parking garage" / "Just did the service a few weeks ago and no shavings or flakes. Oil looked brand new."

You had the shaft off for a lube recently? Did the click appear after the oil change and shaft lube, or did you lube trying to get rid of the click?
it all started roughly 3 weeks after doing the service. Old oil looked new when I did the service and the splines looked great. After the clicking, oil and splines still look great.

If I was smart, I would have put it together without the shaft, put the wheel on and rolled it around just to be sure. I didn't and at this point, I'll let the dealer deal with it. I was hoping to preemptively order parts and have some idea of the exact issue.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #24
Shred Head Fred
Captain Amstel

Oddometer: 53
Bluhduh I got a feeling

I have an '07 with 25k that has simlar issues. Everyone that I've consulted says no problem, but when I load it up for a trip and ride I get a humm and as I role into a corner it gets louder. Fluids are clean and no slop in the rear wheel. On my last fluid change I got a sample kit from Mobil and will have it analyzed for $22. They can give you the particulate count and type of contamination. We use the same process here at work for preventitive maintenance. My next step will be to fixture the FD on our vibration analysis table and measure the frequency. At that point I won't have a baseline, but that will come after rebuild. From what I've seen on other FD and experiencing on my own noise I think it is a slow deterioration of the large outer race of the bearing. Good luck withthe repair. I will posting my testing process as I make progress.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #25
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred Head Fred View Post
I have an '07 with 25k that has simlar issues. Everyone that I've consulted says no problem, but when I load it up for a trip and ride I get a humm and as I role into a corner it gets louder. Fluids are clean and no slop in the rear wheel. On my last fluid change I got a sample kit from Mobil and will have it analyzed for $22. They can give you the particulate count and type of contamination. We use the same process here at work for preventitive maintenance. My next step will be to fixture the FD on our vibration analysis table and measure the frequency. At that point I won't have a baseline, but that will come after rebuild. From what I've seen on other FD and experiencing on my own noise I think it is a slow deterioration of the large outer race of the bearing. Good luck withthe repair. I will posting my testing process as I make progress.
Yours sounds more like a tire than a FD. Has it done it through a tire change?

Jim
Old 09-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #26
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,749
So far we have 2 inmates with FD's that don't leak, don't have play, yet make weird noises that have been diagnosed as imminent failure that necessitate a complete overhaul.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #27
Shred Head Fred
Captain Amstel

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Yours sounds more like a tire than a FD. Has it done it through a tire change?

Jim
Hey Jim, I've followed your suggestions over the past couple of years and gathered much knowledge. Much appreciated. I have two sets of rims with TKC's and Tourances mounted and I get a similar humm noises, but not as pronounced with Tourances. I'm not paranoid about the FD issues it just another component of the bike that needs service and attention. I'm just interested in understanding the issue and try to predict failure much like the drive shafts and the like. My fears are being parked on the side of the road, on the first day of a 2 week adventure.
Another thing about FD's. When my buddies main bearing of his '08 RT failed at 24k, there was no evidence in the fluid, I'm assuming it was because the main bearing is sealed and fluid only seems to lubricating the ring and pinion. The outer race of the bearing looked as if just slowly eroded, creating major pits. His feeling were that dust and moisture we getting in passed the spline. He ended up sourcing a higher grade bearing from a local bearing supplier for less money. 16k later no issues. Im not at the point of a tear down but I am keeping a close ear and eye to it. Oh and I do have a spare on the shelf.

Fred
Old 09-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #28
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred Head Fred View Post
Hey Jim, I've followed your suggestions over the past couple of years and gathered much knowledge. Much appreciated. I have two sets of rims with TKC's and Tourances mounted and I get a similar humm noises, but not as pronounced with Tourances. I'm not paranoid about the FD issues it just another component of the bike that needs service and attention. I'm just interested in understanding the issue and try to predict failure much like the drive shafts and the like. My fears are being parked on the side of the road, on the first day of a 2 week adventure.
Another thing about FD's. When my buddies main bearing of his '08 RT failed at 24k, there was no evidence in the fluid, I'm assuming it was because the main bearing is sealed and fluid only seems to lubricating the ring and pinion. The outer race of the bearing looked as if just slowly eroded, creating major pits. His feeling were that dust and moisture we getting in passed the spline. He ended up sourcing a higher grade bearing from a local bearing supplier for less money. 16k later no issues. Im not at the point of a tear down but I am keeping a close ear and eye to it. Oh and I do have a spare on the shelf.

Fred
Honestly? I have not personally seen a failed FD that had no play AND no leak. I suppose it is possible, but I haven't seen one.

I would take a long weekend ride, 500 miles, and change the fluid. Any real degradation of the bearing should show up in the fluid you drain. The 500 miles should either cause a fail, or relieve stress that you will have one.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 09-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #29
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Fd oil does not contact the bearing if its going south why would it make any difference. Most fd failures are outer bearing so no mater how many times you change your oil it doesn't make any difference
mwood7800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #30
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood7800 View Post
Fd oil does not contact the bearing if its going south why would it make any difference. Most fd failures are outer bearing so no mater how many times you change your oil it doesn't make any difference
I'm not going to argue with you. Believe what you like.

Jim