Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #46
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,803
Seen threadlocker used to keep bearings from spinning?? Could be I guess..maybe it's been into before??
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #47
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
With the limited information you have and the fact that I change the oil every 6k miles, could I have potentially done anything to prevent this? I've never seen water in the oil, so maybe it's just bearing crud/old grease mixed with the gear oil?
No. From what I can tell it looks like it has been going for a while. My guess is that it was, at one time, soaked in water, maybe even salty water, then left to sit for a while.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #48
trc.rhubarb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
Thanks Jim.
So I'm looking at the part number they quoted and something isn't adding up.
It doesn't seem to be correct for my bike. Does someone that understands this stuff better know if this is a correct fitment? For reference: 33117705744
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #49
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,292
Have you actually seen the replacement final drive? I ask because my 2007 GSA blew the rear drive on 8/7 and I am STILL waiting for the replacement drive to come in so it can be changed. It's so hard to understand how Motorrad can not stock these for immediate overnight delivery. It's just infuriating.

Also, I'd be interested to know what the dollar amount comes to once you get it straightened out. I hope you don't have to wait too long....but mine better get done first!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php

KMC1 screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 02:54 PM
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #50
trc.rhubarb OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm told it's already on my bike. I can't go see it until Saturday due to work. They had one in stock which seems a bit strange because this is a really small shop. Nice guys and all, just the smallest BMW dealership I've ever been to.

I hope it's right because the other option was going to be 5-6 weeks from Germany.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
Old 10-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #51
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,415
Mine failed on my 08 GSA last year. Was about the same price as yours. I needed new rear pads so they put them on at $100. Not what I wanted but at$2200 total wasn't a big deal.

We had just come back from AK. My buddy with an 07 GSA has no problems. He stopped at the Artic circle. I went to Dead Horse and back in total slop. I wonder if I got water in mine. My buddy says I accelerate too hard. I say I shift faster.

So is it hard riding or water?

How much is the insurance going to pay?

Mine sounded like dirty brake pads. I removed the caliper and still sounded same, but I had movement but no oil leak.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #52
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Have you actually seen the replacement final drive? I ask because my 2007 GSA blew the rear drive on 8/7 and I am STILL waiting for the replace to drive to come in so it can be changed. It's so hard to understand how Motorrad can not stock these for immediate overnight delivery. It's just infuriating.

Also, I'd be interested to know what the dollar amount comes to once you get it straightened out. I hope you don't have to wait too long....but mine better get done first!
Quote:
I'm told it's already on my bike. I can't go see it until Saturday due to work. They had one in stock which seems a bit strange because this is a really small shop. Nice guys and all, just the smallest BMW dealership I've ever been to.

I hope it's right because the other option was going to be 5-6 weeks from Germany.
Riiiggghhhttt...

Sorry brother..that has to suc..HUGE..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #53
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
No. From what I can tell it looks like it has been going for a while. My guess is that it was, at one time, soaked in water, maybe even salty water, then left to sit for a while.

Jim
+1

Then, after sitting, the bearing rusted and siezed up. Some poor sucker then drove it and spun the bearing on the journal. Must have been pretty ugly inside to replace the whole thing instead of rebuilding it.

Root cause of faiure? Seal failure allowing water entry?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #54
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
mwood7800's statement was completely accurate; why were some of you giving him a hard time? A failed big bearing is not uncommon at all. Sometimes it trashes the adjacent seal, often it doesn't.

Interestingly enough I recently repaired a FD that came in with the exact same problem; spun bearing on the axle. In this case it was a FD on which I had replaced the big bearing half a year earlier; I had a decent gearset in stock and simply replaced it. No idea why it happened; the bearing that came off seemed stiffer than usual but still spun smoothly.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #55
liviob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
I was thinking the clicking sound may have been a broken spoke. Looks like the source of the clicking has been found.
liviob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #56
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
mwood7800's statement was completely accurate; why were some of you giving him a hard time? A failed big bearing is not uncommon at all. Sometimes it trashes the adjacent seal, often it doesn't.

Interestingly enough I recently repaired a FD that came in with the exact same problem; spun bearing on the axle. In this case it was a FD on which I had replaced the big bearing half a year earlier; I had a decent gearset in stock and simply replaced it. No idea why it happened; the bearing that came off seemed stiffer than usual but still spun smoothly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood7800
Fd oil does not contact the bearing if its going south why would it make any difference. Most fd failures are outer bearing so no mater how many times you change your oil it doesn't make any difference

So you agree oil changes do not matter?

That big bearing going bad almost never doesn't leave a clue in the oil. You don't change the oil you will never see the looming failure. Further, the small bearing can and does go bad as well. Catch it early and you have a chance of repairing the FD. Wait too long and you may not.

But, you have repaired many more than me, so tell me I am wrong and I will accept it.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #57
mini151
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Thanks Jim.
So I'm looking at the part number they quoted and something isn't adding up.
It doesn't seem to be correct for my bike. Does someone that understands this stuff better know if this is a correct fitment? For reference: 33117705744
My 2006 GSA drive failed at 37k miles when the bevel gear bearings crapped out. Purchased new drive from MAX BMW and installed it myself. New drive was the new and improved version from BMW. It has a steel brake disc flange instead of alum. Also comes with drain and fill holes for easy servicing. That may be why the part numbers are different. Make sure you are getting the new and improved drive and not a new old stock one. Bikes with servo brakes 05-07 have different sensors for the wheel speed as well as different timing marks on the ring gear.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #58
trc.rhubarb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I'll know tomorrow what I actually got and what the cost will be.
When I questioned the part number, I got an answer that I didn't like: "we put on the same model final drive that we took off" which just seems strange. Maybe all is fine. 12 hours until I find out.

If it's the same, I don't mind. It has a 2 year warranty from BMW and filling through the speed sensor is no biggie; especially since I have to pull it to drop the FD anyhow.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
Old 10-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #59
trc.rhubarb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got it back with all the parts.
Everything looks brand new except the scoring on the axle. I need to clean it up and see if it's rust or something else... since the rest of the FD, including the bearing look clean and good, it's even stranger. The bearing is notchy but all others feel great.

New FD was in stock due to a mis-order so I just lucked out! I now have a drain at 6 o'clock rather than 9 but all else looks the same.

If anyone needs parts, let me know. The only bad parts are the axle and the bearing but the case (including pinion), dust cover and flange are good.

Bike feels exactly the same as it did with the bad FD. I was hoping for some free horsepower :)
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
Old 10-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #60
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood7800
Fd oil does not contact the bearing if its going south why would it make any difference. Most fd failures are outer bearing so no mater how many times you change your oil it doesn't make any difference

So you agree oil changes do not matter?

That big bearing going bad almost never doesn't leave a clue in the oil. You don't change the oil you will never see the looming failure. Further, the small bearing can and does go bad as well. Catch it early and you have a chance of repairing the FD. Wait too long and you may not.

But, you have repaired many more than me, so tell me I am wrong and I will accept it.

Jim
Jim from the 2006 and on - the big bearing is a sealed unit. It sits outside of the final drive left seal. Water can easily seep under the i/d of the bearing between the shaft and the i/d if there is enough room or movement as the only thing keeping moisture out from there - is the metal to metal surface of the shaft and bearing i/d. The FD oil never even touches the FD big bearing - it does the right hand side needle bearing though. The big bearing is a greased sealed unit.

There are 4 sets of bearings that can go bad. Two on the pinion (well 2 angular contact roller bearings and one tiny needle bearing) and the axle shaft right side needle bearing and the left side big sealed roller bearing. In my experience the smallest (and coincidentally later upgraded and enlarged from 30mm to 32mm o/d increasing the size of the needle bearings) pinion needle bearing is the one that has now failed twice on my bike - I caught it early enough to get it fixed with the help of Anton first time around.

I have had FD failure of the pinion bearings - and a right side needle bearing seal go - as well as a big bearing wear out. All at different times. Currently the bike is at 100+km and I feel that familiar pinion gear movement. (which is giving me about 50k km per pinion bearings - and this is on the first generation pre august 06 FD which had so much trouble. So will buy a complete unit with upgrades this time around. However there is no movement in the big bearing at all. And, if anyone questions it somehow and still really happy with it all.. time helps ;-)

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote