Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Jacl-Kampuchea OP
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 685
Shopping at Toronto's new Hells Angels store. . .

Quote:
The new Hells Angels retail store in Leslieville is friendly, expensive, and feels...a little like a clubhouse.
By Jessica Bloom
The exterior of the store.

If you’re unaccustomed to entering unmarked storefronts, the Hells Angels retail store, now open in Leslieville, at 98 Carlaw Avenue, is unsettling. The closed plastic blinds make it impossible to see what’s going on inside. From the outside, the only indication of activity is a glowing neon “open” sign and the number “81″ (the numerical equivalent of the letters “H” and “A”) displayed in a window. Open up the doors and there’s a cute dog named Chanel following around tweens shopping for tank tops.

The Hells Angels store has the charm of a punk-show merch kiosk and smells like one, too. Two staff members quickly emerged from a back room to straighten up T-shirt hangers and ask questions. They were cagey at first, but they opened up after a little conversation.
There are racks and racks of branded shirts and sweaters. Everything is black, red, and white. A glass case at the front displays lighters, ashtrays, keychains, and panties, all declaring support for “BRM Downtown”—short for “Big Red Machine,” which is a nickname for the Hells Angels.
You won’t find any bargains at the store. They’re charging $5 for a calendar from 2005. Its pages contain two pairs of naked breasts and dates that will be relevant again in 2022. The most popular item is a black hoodie with flames on it.
The merchandise.

Without question, the style needs an update, but that hasn’t stopped brands from ripping off the club’s insignia. In 2010, the Hells Angels won a lawsuit against Alexander McQueen, who had unwisely used winged skulls on some handbags and jewelry. The club also sued Toys “R” Us over some “Death’s Head” yo-yos, and Wildfox over shirts that read, “My Boyfriend Is a Hells Angel.”
Only members are allowed to wear the club’s title on their clothing, which is why none of the apparel explicitly says “Hells Angels.” All the merchandise uses code words and metonyms.
The relationship between crime and fashion was addressed during last year’s Ontario Supreme Court case against the Toronto Hells Angels. During an April 2007 raid of the group’s Eastern Avenue clubhouse, trademarked clothing and accessories were seized as “offence-related property.”
In December of 2012, the court ruled that belt buckles, leather vests, and jewellery should be returned to their owners because the symbolism of membership didn’t warrant forfeiture. Toronto’s Hells Angels did, however, lose their clubhouse, because it harboured criminal activity. Now, they’ve opened the store, which invites a question: what’s the difference between a clubhouse and a store with a back room?
The Hells Angels run several successful storefronts across Canada, including ones in Moncton and Charlottetown. It’s surprising that they didn’t open up a retail store in Parkdale. It would have made a killing.
If you’re too scared to shop in person, you can always buy online. Just remember where your money’s going.
http://torontoist.com/2013/09/shoppi...-angels-store/

Article was written by a girl I knew a few years back. It popped up on her FB feed today. Not sure how good she is on fact checking, but interesting anyway.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,365
I wonder if you can get a "Support" full face helmet there??

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,444
Checked their website yet???

http://www.hellsangelstorontodowntown.com/
Old 09-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Red eyed and Rollin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
NYC store

The used to have a store in the east village in NYC. Third street maybe? I bought a red Crime Inc. cap which I still have. The little ball peen hammer charms were cool.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Checked their website yet???

http://www.hellsangelstorontodowntown.com/
Yep!

Poor little boys...
Old 09-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
cras
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
i wonder if david mann's estate approved the use of his artwork
cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #7
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Makin that dirty money clean.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,365
I bet they don't have much shoplifting. Probably don't even need security cameras.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
Buzz363
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
They make a lot of money off their support wear and stickers.
Buzz363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Wear that shit somewhere the Angles are not the dominate club and see what happens

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,444
Fuck them....my bro (RIP) belonged to a very small club called the "xxxx Angels" somewhere in QC way back then. They showed up "in force" and forced a name change when they took control of the drug supply in that area.

And there is way more I won't say here....Fuck them!

But just a few years ago one of them in full colors stopped at the small remote restaurant where I was having lunch. Asked about the next gas station....still a little ways I said but I happen to have a full gas can in my car if you think you need some.He declined politely.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Just who I want to show support to, gangs...

I wonder if the Bloods will set up shop across the street?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Great let's run out an support the local hoods! I wouldn't give them a dime of my money, even if the clowns in this particular store were upstanding citizens, which I doubt, there is no way I would support a gang that breaks the law like these asshats do!
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
Buzz363
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
The target demographic is a twentysomething wanna be bad ass. The club members in B.C. are very wealthy and heavy into controlling drugs and grow ops as well as being the controlling agency for strippers which is very lucrative. They also own a lot of "legitimate" businesses.
Buzz363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:45 AM   #15
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz363 View Post
The target demographic is a twentysomething wanna be bad ass. The club members in B.C. are very wealthy and heavy into controlling drugs and grow ops as well as being the controlling agency for strippers which is very lucrative. They also own a lot of money laundering outlets.
Fixt
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote