Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
CDN_Bacon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
INFO NEEDED - Importing Bikes to UK

Hey y'all,

I'm transferring from Texas to my companies home office in London, UK. I have a dirt bike that I use for woods racing and since work is paying for shipping I was thinking to crate it up and bring it. Additionally I want to get a Triumph Tiger 800 XC when I get to the UK but I was wondering with the exchange and general, UK is F'n expensive, factor, is it worth wild to buy in the US and ship it over as well?

Can anyone tell me what would the pro's/cons be to this idea? Import taxes, fee's, how hard would it be to get the bike registered in the UK etc.

Thanks
CDN_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
foggy50361
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Just be aware there are not many, if any choices for off road riding in the London area, and you can't just ride anywhere either (the British way means you aren't allowed to have fun). If work is paying for shipping I would have a guess you're better off importing, I'm looking at buying in the UK a 990 adventure 2006 model with 18,000m or 30,000km for around 6,000 or $10,000.
Hope I've helped.
Dr Seuss. One man getting it right all the time
foggy50361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:08 AM   #3
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Bacon View Post
Hey y'all,

I'm transferring from Texas to my companies home office in London, UK. I have a dirt bike that I use for woods racing and since work is paying for shipping I was thinking to crate it up and bring it. Additionally I want to get a Triumph Tiger 800 XC when I get to the UK but I was wondering with the exchange and general, UK is F'n expensive, factor, is it worth wild to buy in the US and ship it over as well?

Can anyone tell me what would the pro's/cons be to this idea? Import taxes, fee's, how hard would it be to get the bike registered in the UK etc.

Thanks
If your actually changing residence, there are no taxes to be paid on imported vehicles, at least in Ireland.
Bikes, especially later model ones, are generally more expensive on this side of the pond so, I'd stock up with bikes and gear while your there.
Older bikes to have a lesser value here. People here seem to put a lot of pride in driving/riding a newer vehicle, thus flooding the market with older stock.
New stuff gets frowned upon by customs so, keep it all used. Friend of mine got dinged pretty hard on a brand new lawn mower he stuck in the container.
I'd like another KLR here. I wonder if you would mind putting one in your container for me. I can fly over to the UK and grab it.
Import duties, paid by me when I register it here, would be pittance on a KLR as the value of old bikes here is low.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
best advice find another job don't come here its terrible.
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
chammyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,886
Is your dirt bike road legal (lights, indicators etc.)? If not, don't bring it and even if it is, consider buying an XC second-hand in the US and bringing that instead. Importing shouldn't be a big issue, just a bit of paperwork.

Let us know when you get here!

Oh and ignore the Jock.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
foggy50361
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by chammyman View Post
best advice find another job don't come here its terrible.
+1. This place is becoming a sh*thole..
Dr Seuss. One man getting it right all the time
foggy50361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #7
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,920
Don't take any notice of the negative comments.
The British isles are probably the most beautiful place on the planet.
Country lanes, hidden lakes, picturesque little villages are all part of a day ride anywhere on the islands.
There are ferries to Europe from many parts of the UK should you get bored.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
Grazoid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Wicked

Depends on how long you are over here for... up to 12 months no need to re-register if you only use it on the road for six months in that 12 months (dunno how they would know this)

To register it for UK plates you need to have a permanent UK residents address, all the titles/documents (to establish age, first registration manufacture etc) and take a good look here for further info https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicle...ported-vehicle