User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
qman8 OP
GS09

Oddometer: 510
Wink 2 weeks, 2 bikes, 2 fools

2 50+ late-life crisis boys taking a holiday from NE Ohio into New England and Nova Scotia...and if the stars align, into Newfoundland. Mark on his new 650 Vstrom ADV and me on my '09-R1200GS. The unofficial goal is to hit the most northeastern most point in North America in Newfoundland. Inspiration comes from ADV ride reports and specifically Radioman. Its a tight schedule with ferry crossings and about 50% camping involved. We also hope to hit the HU Maritimes meeting in Annapolis Royal NS...Who knows?
Other interim goals are LOBSTER, CRAB, AND SEAFOOD!
Mount Washington is on the list as well as bay of Fundy to see LOW tides!...and too many other things to list right now.
Been spending the last month gearing-up. Luggage, mounts, waterproof gear, etc...the usual...including GoPro camera accessories. We shall see if Motovlogging will come to fruition. I hope to get some good vids and commentary...Stay Tuned!
We are leaving June 28.
More to come.
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
qman8 OP
GS09

Prepping the GS, I bought the Givi mount that moves my 46L (sized to match Valentino Rossi's plate, of course) from the passenger seat area to the rear, which allows camping gear to lay flat across the rear subframe and on top the panniers (one of the great design ideas on the GS)

Also added a cell-phone holder, and those generic roll-top dry bags are being replaced by a dedicated motorcycle duffel. Got a new Shoei helmet, Klim Overland pants, Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket (which is going back)...rode it for 100 miles and it absolutely sucks. For $300+ it is really bad. I bought it in a rush, and regret it...Gotta return it soon...if you want more detail on that, PM me. Adding GoPro camera mounts, micropone and related gear to attempt motovlogging. It may NOT!? Looking at tank bag options and additional camping gear/clothes at the last minute. The '09 GS just had her 36k mile service and new Tourance front and rear, so should be good-to-go. Total mileage appears to be on the north side of 5k, so We shall see what the rear Metzeler looks like after...if it even makes it to 5k!....I havent been able to get more than about 4500 on a rear tire since the OEM Continental.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
zx11dude
n00b

Oddometer: 1
The other guys bike

the other guys bike is a 2013 650 v-strom ADV model.it has been fitted with barkbusters and the storm covers .also Oxford hee
ated grips ,a volt meter ,3 12 volt power supplies ,a power cord for my electric jacket ,cruise control for those bits of slab that get just too boring ,Alaskan Sheepskin Seat pad,and a storag
e tube that holds all my rain gear .
zx11dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
qman8 OP
GS09

Well i found a hardly used sargent seat at the local dealer...after about 120 miles i can tell you it sucks. So...contrary to popular opinion, i still havent found anything better than the stock seat. Yes, its too soft but its shaped well and it doesnt lock u into one position. Anyone want a nearly brand new sargent for a 05 to 12 gs ...first $150 !

Sad because i loved my sargent on my old VFR!

qman8 screwed with this post 06-26-2014 at 05:56 PM
Old 06-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
qman8 OP
GS09

Tomrrow evening starts my adventure..ill be leaving after work to get to zx11 dude's place in painesville oh. We,ll head out early sat. Morn. Rolling up I-90 slab to utica new york then backroads to near Ticonderoga
Old 06-27-2014, 02:59 AM   #6
oldgezzer
Country Rider

Oddometer: 23
oldgezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:20 AM   #7
qman8 OP
GS09

So I told about the "bad" purchases for this trip...So now for the good news; I traded the Kilimanjaro jacket in on the Kathmandu Firstgear jacket....so far it seems MUCH better, for about the same price. I left the built-in hydration pack at home as I already have a camel-bak that holds more volume. I also got a set of KLIM Overland pants..."guaranteed waterproof"!...so i left my rainpants at home!...we shall see! The Klim and the Kathmandu are both gray with dark-gray pockets and accents...starting to look like one of grandma's old patchwork quilts!
I added a USB power outlet on the handlebars to power the cell phone that I will use as a backup GPS when needed...since my Garmin "NORTH AMERICA" map doesnt seem to contain ALL of north america!...at least the 2012 version I have. Not much detail once you pass the Canadian border! Also the Zumo has lost all of the routes i plugged in...just GONE. SO I reloaded them. This happened once before. Very frustrating! I'm taking a netbook so i can reload them. I had to manually load the mapsource program on there, because Basecamp software is like programming a space shuttle!
Old 06-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
Sandspur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Get out there.

It sounds as if both of you have planned very well for this trip. I look forward to reading updates and watching any video posts. Have a great time and be safe. Very jealous!
Sandspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
qman8 OP
GS09

thanks sandspur! made it to ZXs house ok...here i am reddy to leave home
Not too sure about vids...freaking gopro accessories i ordered got hung up in customs coming from china. I swear its all legal!!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Sounds like a great trip! Best of luck & I'll be following along. Waiting on some good pics!
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
qman8 OP
GS09

OK....finally able to get back on ...we camped last night at lake georgej near ticonderoga NY. Beautiful weather. No wifi. Got up at the crack of dawn and packed up to find some nice breakfast in ticonderoga before crossing on the ticonderoga ferry. Then into Vermont....my first time. What georgeous country! Didnt take too long to hit New Hampshire and we stoppped at Whitehorse gear to check it out in Conway. Of course this is sunday and tourism is big in this town. Traffic was thick. Rolled up to mount Washington late in the day only to find some car racing going on up the mountain. Crossedd the boreder into Maine and we are now in Rumford Maine for the night.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #12
RoofRider
The clock's tickin!

Oddometer: 2
Hey QMan...How's the trip going? Several people here at work have asked about your progress. Hope all is well.

Have you encountered any rain? I'm curious if your gear is keeping you dry. If not, I've got a spare rain suit I could forward ahead.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #13
qman8 OP
GS09

No rain yet....lying in my sleeping bag in a campground in cheticamp cape breton....its warm and awesome. Tomoro nite looks like rain moving in. Havent had wifi.no pics. About 1700 miles so far. Biks running flawlessly. We decided to scrap the idea of running back to annapolis royal for the HU meeting...instead we will roll directly to nf on ferry fri nite....if all goes well. Temperature swings are huge...today went from 59 to 93 in a matter of miles. People continue to be friendly and helpful. They have "mcLobster" at mcdonalds!
Old 07-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #14
RoofRider
The clock's tickin!

Oddometer: 2
Lobster at McDonalds...awesome! Glad to hear you've been dry. I hope Arthur doesn't disrupt your plans. I've been keeping an eye on him...just your luck Q.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2014, 05:49 AM   #15
qman8 OP
GS09

Wifi finally here at breakfast in victoria ns. No pics tho..some when we get on the boat to nf later today. They moved the ferry depature 2 hours early due to hurricane. Diff weather reports we see vary greatly. Truly an adventure. Went to meat cove yesterday and swam in atlantic. Cold! But it was90+f so not bad . tough getting used to the metric system again! Good news is i can cover kms faster than miles! Found a nice waterfall down 5 miles of dirt road so had to swim in them!...which made us late tring to find lodging and food...had to settle for takeout deep fried grub and no beer! Cape breton park is phenominal...gorgeous with mountains bigger than expected...mark made me hike 6 miles....friggin tired last night!