User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #211
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,723
Day 4 camp

Since my Day 3 & 4 ran together.. I'll post up a few more of Day 4 at camp...

What a camp we had setup...

Upon arrival, DingWeed found a piece of carpet so he cut it in fours for each of us to have a doormat.. worked great!! And I will never go on a trip with out my DingWeed 3000 Tarp-O-Matic.. best thing ever!

Once again.. these two had there camp setup and were already eating by the time I was making my way over to the kitchen.. a well oiled machine I tell ya! Oh, by the way.. notice a big fire is going too!! We cut wood with BigDog's Sven and he got a good hot coal goin'

We had to do some repairs on my mirror that somehow just broke off.. its a KTM folding mirror, I've had it for years, but I think resting my helmet on it was never a good idea... It held up about half the next day...

Navigating without ever straying off course, even when we get off route, takes a heck of a lot of knowledge about your whereabouts. I've learned the only way you actually gain that knowledge is, being there, riding it many times, studying the area & having a great passion to learn it. Well, let me tell you there isn't a better navigator on the face of this planet on a dual sport than BigDog. He's methodical in his routing, there's a method to the madness, he doesn't say much as he's recalculating.. but makes sure you know we are heading in the right direction and just enjoy the ride. Even back home when me and BigDog go riding, it's the same way.... I hope to gain a bit of this skill over the years.. but I doubt it, that's why I got a SPOT tracker.

Thanks Mark for leading us on this trip.. I can't wait till our next trip..

You can continue with Day 5!!!

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #212
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
Day 5 September 5th, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Thanks Mark for leading us on this trip.. I can't wait till our next trip..

You can continue with Day 5!!!
You are welcome Bill-------we couldn't have had a better group on this ride.

So On with Day 5

Day 5 --------September 5th, 2013
Reservation Ridge camp to Heber City Motel

After the monster thunderstorm we camped in last night we awoke to blue skies.
We lost hours of sleep from the lightning and loud thunder---and pounding rain.
But I feared the rode we came in on would be impassable------and very slick---and it almost was.
We knew some other fellows on big bikes were camped somewhere near us----and they didn't fare so well--more on that in a bit.

But riding high on reservation ridge offered some great views at about 10,000ft.

We all rode for many miles slip sliding around and finally stopped to scraped the many pounds of mud off our bikes.
I bet 30lbs. of mud was caked in eveywhere. I talked everybody into waiting here an hour or so to let the road dry out----should
have waited longer.

From there we had to go down hill for miles on this road---and it was slilck.
We all were very careful and never got cocky and I don't think any of us fell down

These are the guys that were camped last night near us-----or so I thought. Seems they rode on a bit farther than I thought and I
think I remember them saying they were forced into camping in a bad spot and the storm played hell with them.
At this point I think we had ridden about 25 miles in an hour and 1/2 or so.
They had ridden about 4 miles---and we saw their tracks----it was ugly and the Buell had a completely fried clutch.
Really nice fellows. I wish I had a picture of the muddy hill that just preceded this drier spot.

We chatted for a bit and there was nothing we could do to help so we rode on.
We would see them again.

He had cell service--------called AAA and tried to get a tow---but they wanted nothing to do with retrieving the bike where it was.
Somedody in our group thought his swingarm was broke too---maybe the subframe and held together with a ratchet strap.

Well even tho you can't see them-----------can you read my lips !!!!

Little Moosey

Seems this ride didn't have as many gates to open and close as other rides I've been on--------but there were still quite a few.

Did you fart Bud ??? No---I thought you did.
No I didn't---it had to be you----let me check !!!!!!
Ahhhhhh------we'll check tonight.

It was pouring straight ahead.

I took this picture just show I'd remember exactly where we were at---as this whole area was so nice.

I think we rode right between those 2 tall rock formations.
It amazes me how stuff like this forms.

We hit paved 40 for just a bit today---and there was a gas station in Fruitland that is not mentioned at all on the Butler maps.
I did mark it on the gps file I have of this ride. So note that if you ride this ride.

We were all kind of wore out today----and dove out of the high cool mountains to Heber City for a motel where I knew there was
a Yamaha shop and bill got a new mirror for his WR.

A map of our route today----about 108 miles.
A lot of today had been slow going in the mud and we spent a lot of time waiting for mud to dry out. It dries out fast tho.

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #213
GoDoMore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Hey Mark..great report as usual...you mentioned earlier that one of the guys had packed way to much....just wondering what you pack on a trip of this duration...oh yea and how many days was this trip
78 Yamaha DT-400 what fun
2008 KLR650
GoDoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #214
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDoMore View Post
Hey Mark..great report as usual...you mentioned earlier that one of the guys had packed way to much....just wondering what you pack on a trip of this duration...oh yea and how many days was this trip
Hay GoDoMore----------Bud on the 690 is a very experienced and good rider----he's superb offroad--------but he had never packed for a trip this long carrying camping and cooking gear. So he continually was saying he brought to much stuff----and I rode his bike for a bit and I could really feel it.

There is a video on my website that shows everything I pack on my WR for an extended trip. And on that note------I don't see the difference between packing for a 4 day trip--------or a month-------it's the same for me. As I pack almost no casual clothes---and do laundry if it comes down to it. But I never did on this trip as I never hardly wore my casual clothes. And my synthetics hold up really well-----I think I did do laundry in a lavatory once and dried the stuff on the bike on this trip.

The only thing that does change is my riding gear-----I think about what temps I might encounter and take the riding gear that suits those temps.
I don't own a rainsuit------all my gear is waterproof.

I wore a KLIM Badlands pro on this ride and it was perfect---I never got cold----and only got a little warm one day. It vents so well---and when it cooled off or rained I just closed my vents.

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 10:47 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #215
zoid
Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer: 1,198
Thanks for that instructional video. Very informative!

I always look forward to a BigDog ride report and this one has not been a disappointment at all!
zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #216
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Let me make this photo a bit clearer....

This photo is actually of me logging into servers at my work and fixing the whole entire technological world as we know it. I believe what I told these retired fellas,

"All of us young guys have to keep the economy going so you can ride motorcycles around the whole United States of America whenever your little hearts want to!!!"

... or something like that!

Old 10-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #217
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Day 5

As you saw in my last Day 3/4 video.. It rained all night on us... I got up about 5:45 to use the Men's room (you just make your own, btw), luckily while I was busy it stopped raining, just as I was walking back to my tent, this huge cloud rolled over our campsite, I could barely see 3 ft in front of me. Then it thundered and started to rain again, I rain back in my tent.

Little did I know at that very time the rain moved back in, Dingweed just got out of his tent to use his Men's room, and well he got a bit wet

With all the rain, the roads on Reservation Ridge were slick as snot.. both wheels would slide out, like you were riding on ice. I think at this point I started to like SAND!!!!

IT WAS A MESS!

We held up here for a while trying to let the roads dry up a bit.. good thing we did, it made going to get gas a bit easier.. but, we had to come back up this way to continue our route..

While fueling up.. we saw this little guy..

As you saw in BigDog's photos, we rode in this nasty stuff for what seemed like miles, all of us were sliding around. I was behind BigDog and I saw him slide a complete 90 degree counter-clockwise slide, in complete control of the situation, steered into the rut on the left side of the road then power out using the ditch as a rail system. This was one place I was happy to ride in a rut!

Luckily before we hit the mud hill of doom, we found a dry downhill road we were able to clear our knobbies a bit...

Then the route took us down a narrow four-wheeler dark dirt path.. we met a few ADV'rs on big bikes that were stopped wondering if they should turn around... we went around them and kept calm..

Here we are at the bottom of the hill..

Just around that bend from BigDog.. the trail opened up. We hoped those big bikes kept going because I'm not sure they would of made it back up that hill?!?

Man the riding got AWESOME.. It was a great trail back here in Cow Hollow...

We kept riding and started seeing some pretty nasty clouds in our path..

Time to get the rain gear on !! I had one heck of a time getting my FroggToggs on.. I hate those things.. I need Santa to bring me some GoreTex already!!

I'll have good footage in my Day 5 video.. so stay tuned for that..

Old 10-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #218
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Day 5 GoPro Shots

Here's a couple more cool photos I took with my GoPro..

Old 10-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #219
Rhodester
still tickin'

Oddometer: 12
How much should I bring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Hay GoDoMore----------Bud on the 690 is a very experienced and good rider----he's superb offroad--------but he had never packed for a trip this long carrying camping and cooking gear. So he continually was saying he brought to much stuff----and I rode his bike for a bit and I could really feel it.

There is a video on my website that shows everything I pack on my WR for an extended trip. And on that note------I don't see the difference between packing for a 4 day trip--------or a month-------it's the same for me. As I pack almost no casual clothes---and do laundry if it comes down to it. But I never did on this trip as I never hardly wore my casual clothes. And my synthetics hold up really well-----I think I did do laundry in a lavatory once and dried the stuff on the bike on this trip.

The only thing that does change is my riding gear-----I think about what temps I might encounter and take the riding gear that suits those temps.
I don't own a rainsuit------all my gear is waterproof.

I wore a KLIM Badlands pro on this ride and it was perfect---I never got cold----and only got a little warm one day. It vents so well---and when it cooled off or rained I just closed my vents.

GoDoMore, you definitely should watch this video from Mark. He's the master packer and I was envious the whole trip. I've gone on many shorter trips but nothing this long. Probably my biggest mistake was thinking "hey I've still got some room left in here, why don't I take some more stuff" I had wolfman dry saddlebags, and a wolfman alfa duffle behind me. The alfa bag was way bigger than I needed and I stuffed it full with too many clothes, too much food, too much water and too much crap that I could have done without. In addition to that I straped on my tent and a small camping cot and chair. One issue with the 690 is that with the rear fuel tank full and a 1 gal. rotopax on the luggage rack, you already are 50 lbs. heavier on the rear than the front. All my gear added up to another 50 lbs. which made the front end way too light (especially on steep uphill switchbacks like on California and Corkscrew passes where the bike wanted to wheelie if you weren't careful with the throttle). My other big bitch about the setup is that I had to take off the alfa bag, tent and all every time we gassed up which was a royal pain in the ass (Thanks Mark, Scott and Bill for being so patient and not leaving me). I realize that this is how we learn but I guarantee that next time I will make some big changes and pack more like the BigDog and Dingweed and have some sort of quick release so that I can get at my gas cap faster. Bud
Rhodester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #220
Hermy
Where's this road go?

Oddometer: 24
Keep it up, fellas!

Lovin' this.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #221
kbear
Mudbiker

Oddometer: 123
Quote:

We kept riding and started seeing some pretty nasty clouds in our path..

I think this is a fabulous big sky shot with unusual lighting conditions!
kbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #222
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Day 5 Video

Video clips from Day 5!

Old 10-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #223
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Video clips from Day 5!
Nice.. thanks for taking me along on that ride..
Old 10-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #224
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Great Video

Bash,
Thanks for the fantastic pics and video!!!!
Look out Spielberg!!!!
Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #225
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,255
You guys sure are having a good time! Great pix and report.