User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #271
hardroadking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
camera shot flattens terrain

Nice hike up to the stone post designating 3 Corners. You talked about it being steep but the picture, looking up the hill, was not impressive. It's always disappointing when you try to capture how steep a slope is using a camera or video since it flattens it out so much. When you took a picture from up top, looking down, it did a much better job showing the steepness of the slope but I know from experience, even this shot flattens the view out and doesn't accurately capture just how steep it really is.

With a fresh rear tire, I'm sure the Wans could float up it with ease
Old 10-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #272
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,774
Day 10 September 10th, 2013

Day 10

Eagle, Colorado to an extremely old Motel in Pitkin, Colorado.
I've been thru Pitkin many many times-----how did I not see this old Motel ????

Up early we headed West out of Eagle Colorado to Gypsum and turned South and then Southeast
on a nice dirt road. I remember going past beautiful Slyvan Lake on the way.
Me and Dingweeds had been thru here before looking for the Fulford Cave----which we never got to see because the bats
in there were a protected species.

The dirt roads finally interstected the Hagerman Pass road.
The last time I rode thru here I was by myself on my carbed 950 and it had a hard time up here as
the altitude about made it choke. But the fuel injected WR250R made it easy.

Again-----me and Dingweeds had ate here before in Leadville----but the food was astounding and we stopped again.

North of Beuna Vista we ran into more riders who told us not to follow the route Northeast of there as the
mud was impassable--------we rode the pavement to Buena Vista and found the old railroad tunnesls just Northeast of town.
I think there were a total of 4 tunnels-------all right in a row----pretty unusual.

From Buena Vista we headed straight West over Cottonwood Pass.
The West side of the pass was unpaved and it brought back memories of years ago when I rode my full suspension mountain bicycle down
the pass------it was 12 miles of high speed no pedaling-----being very brave with the brakes.
I beat my buddies down the pass by about 20 minutes as they tried to pace me in my pickup truck-----it was a hoot.
I think I went faster than I could have on a motorcycle.

Getting close to Taylor Park and Taylor reservoir the route went down miles of a 2 track dirt road that I don't think
I've ever been on------it was a hoot------and we came to this.
I haven't a clue how deep the middle was---but I found an easy spot and took it---and Bud and Dingweed followed my lead.

The old gold mining community of TinCup deserves a stop if you ever are in the area.

We got to Pitkin and gassed up at the llittle store and got a few snacks and were looking for a campground or lodging.
It was raining and the gal pointed us in the direction of the old Pitkin Hotel.

I can't believe I've never seen this place-----I've been thru here a lot and just don't remember it.
It was built in about 1904 ??? and here is the downstairs---all the rooms were upstairs.

NIce gathering place downstairs with a full commercial kitchen and woodstove for heat.

This fellow was carving a boat out of a piece of Aspen and had done most of what you see in here in a couple hours.

This lady owns the place---meet Joann-----she is a sweetheart.
We talked for at least 2 hours.
When she talked -------------I listened.
I had no stories that were as interesting as hers.
Man she had lead a long wonderful life and was as happy as could be.
She doesn't winter here anymore and the place is for sale.
She's had good offers but has turned them down after finding out the buyer wasn't "right" to own this place.
She told me she was waiting for the right buyer to keep the tradition the of the place the same.
She insisted I sign her guest book and I was honored.

I think she was in her 80's and her mind was a lot sharper than mine is.
She had this twinkle in her eye and pretty much told me her life story and all the history of the Motel.
She used to run this by herself---do everything including the cooking----but had to give up a lot of those duties as the years past.

So then she asks us if we are hungry---------well..................yeh.
And waited on us hand a foot serving us homemade stew.
She don't normally feed anybody here---but did us.
We did help here as much as we could and cleaned up our mess and washed our dishes.
JoAnn is one of those people I'll never forget.

$20 per person got us a nice room with a woodstove and nice comfy bed upstairs.
Here's the hallway-------all people were skinny back then.
You can rent a room or the whole hotel if you want.

A cozy room and plenty of beds for us 3 and more.

She carried a bucket of wood and kindlin' up the long steep stairs and left if for us.
She was going to light the stove and I had to talk her out of it as it was plenty warm.

We all got a shower and the next morning we all cleaned the room up---made the beds and folded all the covers real nice
and I went down stairs and told her that she didn't need to do anything to the room as we had taken care of everything.

A rough map of our ride today-------about 164 miles.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 02:48 PM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #273
Rhodester
still tickin'

Oddometer: 11
I may never whine again!

Day 10 was another great day's riding. Hagerman and Cottonwood passes and a super meal in Leadville. The real treat though was the stay in Pitkin. JoAnn was so interesting to listen to, so accommodating when trying to make us comfortable, feeding us when she didn't need to and making sure that we had everything that we needed. She is a true salt of the earth lady and she made me think about pioneering people and the hardships that they endured, usually without complaining. She ran the hotel by herself for many years and only hired a "handyman" because she wanted to help him out. She said that he actually broke more things than he fixed but was a good soul so she wouldn't fire him. She said that one winter they had 2 days in row with minus 55 degrees! Now I don't care what you say or where you're from, THAT'S FRIGGIN COLD!! She could tell you the whole history of the area and knew just about everybody's story. I'll never forget this wonderful lady and the twinkle in her eye. And if I ever complain about the heater not working well enough and I'm a little cold I hope that someone kicks me right in the ass. Bud
Rhodester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #274
IanInCalgary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Cheap Thrills

BigDog,

I enjoyed your description of screaming down the hill on your mountain bike. It seems we have most fun, and the fondest memories, when we have the least amount of gear.

Ian
IanInCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #275
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,695
Sorry for not catching ya up with my travels back.. I'll get that uploaded tomorrow.. I've been crazy with work ugh!!!! BOOOOO!!!

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #276
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Ride Report

Great ride report.

I wish I could have met you when you were up here. The one year I missed D2D and you guys show up. Been following your reports for a while now.

Have a lot of the same build up on my WRR. Great bike for adventure. I remember Adam Lewis saying "with a lighter bike you can go more places". Found this to be very true.

Take care,

AK Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #277
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,723
Great photos of JoAnn. She is the real deal and those eyes and facial expression pretty much says all that needs to be said. A very warn person and I'll have to stop in next summer doing the COBDR without rain.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:22 AM   #278
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanInCalgary View Post
BigDog,

I enjoyed your description of screaming down the hill on your mountain bike. It seems we have most fun, and the fondest memories, when we have the least amount of gear.

Ian
I wish I could drag up a picture of when I did that---I couldn't find one. I had full moto armor on minus the big boots---and wore tennis shoes so I could pedal if I needed too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Sorry for not catching ya up with my travels back.. I'll get that uploaded tomorrow.. I've been crazy with work ugh!!!! BOOOOO!!!
Work ???? I had a nightmare about that the other night------dreamed i had a job

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader View Post
Great ride report.

I wish I could have met you when you were up here. The one year I missed D2D and you guys show up. Been following your reports for a while now.

Have a lot of the same build up on my WRR. Great bike for adventure. I remember Adam Lewis saying "with a lighter bike you can go more places". Found this to be very true.

Take care,

AK Greg
I agree---wish I figured that out a long time ago.
Unless you name is Wan---then it just doesn't matter

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 10-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #279
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Day 11 September 11th, 2013

Day 11

Pitkin to Campground Southwest of Telluride, Colorado

It was hard to leave the old Motel in Pitkin.
It had rained most of the night and there would be no dust today.

The stone on the Motel says the building was built in 1904.

We head South out of town on a cloudy day and you can see the for sale sign to the right.

Todays route was awesome even tho me and dingweeds had ridden every inch of this days route years before.

We rode by Waunita Hot Springs on our way Southwest and the clouds looked juicy---again.

On the way to Lake City where we ate and got gas we ran into these hardy adventure riders.
I think they had slept in the rain all night and I felt a sense of tenseness and unhappyness amongst these fellows.
Maybe I was wrong----but it seemed that way.
The couldn't wipe the smile off our faces though.
I always like to stop and talk to people I run into---this guys WR250R was set up really nice.

Quite a few miles before you get to Lake city heading Southwest you'll see this sign.
You can still get off the main road and ride a few miles of this route.
It's a lot rougher than the main road and when I rode it years ago I wondered how in the heck they got
the stage thru the rough terrain.
Me, dingweeds and Sam Correro were thru here not long ago and Sam said he rode it also.

We go over Los Pinos pass somewhere along this route today---and the riding is great---and it's not raining.

We had ate and got gas in Lake City and headed up over our next pass----------Cinnamon Pass.
A Pass I had ridden over 2-up on a BMW F650 Funduro years ago with my wife before she had to quit riding.
That is a fond memory I still have.
Here she is at the pass---probably about 1999.
All 4' 8" of her

I can't remember which pass it was that we ran into the Buler map guys.
They were out working-----or that's what they called it.
Riding their bikes while this fellow carried all their gear.

These guys are responsible for laying out the Back Country Discovery routes and they gave me a hint of what's
in store for the future.
They called this work-------with a grin !!!!!!

This is overlooking the historic mining community of Animas Forks as we make our way further West.

Bud is happy to be here--------I don't think he had been here before.

We ran into these fellow on Ophir pass I think.
Great guys and they told us a story of a guy on a big BMW riding on the wrong side of the trail that clipped them
going very fast and it knocked both of them down. The guy on the BMW almost went off a sheer drop off.
They both were badly shaken from this near miss.
The guy on the BMW almost killed himself.

Looking over the West side of Ophir pass.

We dropped into the tiny town of Ophir and were met with the leader of a fierce motorcycle gang.
He was terrifying the streets of Ophir.

Hey little guy "Pull my finger"

We were astounded by this--------it's not snow-------and it's not water ????????? And it's not moving ??????????

We got gas and snacks in Keystone, Colorado and headed back to this campsite me and Dingweeds knew of.
Me and Dingweeds were attacked by a herd of mice the last time we camped here. Yep --you heard me right--------attacked.

A rough map of our ride today-----about 152 miles.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 10-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #280
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
It's probably been asked, but which Klim jacket are you wearing? Badlands?

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #281
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Oddometer: 499
You weren't far from Old Cow Town when you crossed 114. This is s great place to ride loops from. Love that part of Colorado. http://www.oldcowtowncolorado.com/

MKJ screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 08:57 AM
MKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #282
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
I've been following the RR from the beginning, waiting for you to get to Colorado where I know the roads in the south and south central part. BUT I've ridden all over the Taylor Park area and never knew about a cut-off from Cottonwood to Tin Cup! I'm going to do the CDR through CO and NM next year, looking forward to trying that two-track. (PS, Pitkin is a special place; I was a LEO in Gunnison County for many years and visited Pitkin many times.)

BTW, unless I'm wrong, the white stuff (not water, not snow) 'pouring' out of an old mine is arsenic residue (POISON) that used to pollute the Animas River. In the 50s, my dad was tasked with finding these mines and pushing for clean up. He thought the '50 Nash Ambasador was a jeep, taking it all over the Silverton area. In doing a bit of research I'm probably wrong; the white stuff may not actually be arsenic but lots of arsenic is found in the tailings from the old mines.

Colorado native, doin' time in Texas
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #283
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
It's probably been asked, but which Klim jacket are you wearing? Badlands?
Yes---it is the Badlands pro jacket-------it was very good for this ride----one day I got a little to warm in it when in southern Utah----but not miserable---it vents very well--------I use it for cold to warm riding.
And use heated gear under it if necessary---but not on this ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKJ View Post
You weren't far from Old Cow Town when you crossed 114. This is s great place to ride loops from. Love that part of Colorado. http://www.oldcowtowncolorado.com/

Yes it is MKJ !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
I've been following the RR from the beginning, waiting for you to get to Colorado where I know the roads in the south and south central part. BUT I've ridden all over the Taylor Park area and never knew about a cut-off from Cottonwood to Tin Cup! I'm going to do the CDR through CO and NM next year, looking forward to trying that two-track. (PS, Pitkin is a special place; I was a LEO in Gunnison County for many years and visited Pitkin many times.)

BTW, unless I'm wrong, the white stuff (not water, not snow) 'pouring' out of an old mine is arsenic residue (POISON) that used to pollute the Animas River. In the 50s, my dad was tasked with finding these mines and pushing for clean up. He thought the '50 Nash Ambasador was a jeep, taking it all over the Silverton area. In doing a bit of research I'm probably wrong; the white stuff may not actually be arsenic but lots of arsenic is found in the tailings from the old mines.
Thanks for telling me what that was----I kind of figured it was some pollutant---but didn't know what. From a distance it looked like a flowing water fall.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 10-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #284
KYMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Great picture!

KYMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #285
rbrhsv
AR Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 51
Thumb Fantastic scenery!

The ride report is excellent - including the contacts with other riders and local residents. There is more to riding than just racking up miles.
Any idea what kind of fairing that WR250 had with dual headlights?
rbrhsv is offline   Reply With Quote