Old 10-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #301
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Wait, is that a Wolfman ad
We are all waiting for our checks
I bet I have 20 items of his in my ratty ole' garage.
Edit: 22

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #302
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Basher's Day 6

Well.. my day 6 started out pretty sad, I tried to keep my spirits up but I did really want to keep riding. Even though my family and job was waiting for me, I just felt content and had no worries riding out with these guys... but I had to turn towards the truck

He won't admit it but I think BigDog was shedding tears.. I had a great great time riding with my buds.. hearing all the stories was a blessing.. some of them I got to hear twice and I didn't care one bit!

I wished them the best of luck on their ride and we all headed out of Herber City... separate ways.

A bit down the road I had to stop near Strawberry Reservoir to put on another layer under my jacket.. it was cooling down.

Well.. it wasn't long riding alone before I ran into this group of BMWs. I bet I rode 100 miles with these guys.. until we hit Dinosaur for gas..

I took my time and enjoyed the ride.. stopping at anything I found interesting, taking breaks when ever I needed more Tropic Mix!!

In Colorado for just a few miles then I'd head towards Baxter Pass back in Utah..

My ADV Website
| ADV Legends |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #303
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Basher's Day 6 // Cont'd

It's the little things on rides that amuse ya..

Tarmac views were still goood!

Just south of Bonanza sits the old bridge span across the White River.. man I'd much rather be crossing on that old thing than this big expansion bridge

Turning on to dirt headed towards Baxter Pass... I started getting close to the ghost town of Dragon, UT.. and the closer I got.. the more construction vehicles I started to see... ugh! But I wouldn't let it bring me down.. not with remanence of a ghost town to see..

Some cool stuff laid out on the rocks.. surprise they are still there actually..

Back on the trail.. I only got a couple of miles before my ride came to a screeching hault..........

My ADV Website
Old 10-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #304
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Basher's Day 6 // Cont'd - Day 7

In my Day 6 video, I'll share more about how awesome my delay at Baxter pass was, but for now.. let's skip to the summit!

I hung out here for a while, just relaxing and taking in the views...

After a while I could see this red jeep down below to the south heading up the pass.. so I just watched it for what seemed like 20 mins. When it finally reached where I was, it came over to me... It was a young lady heading back to the pipeline hq, she was out running errands, happy little thing. but seemed to me she was in the WRONG line of work. No photos, sorry

BigDog told me about this abandon building before I left.. and I found it. So neat how the four walls were still up.. I couldn't tell if it once was a church or school or what.. really neat though.

I rode fast and hard.. trying to stay out in front of the 200mph diesel trucks!!

I would hold up in Fruita, CO for the night. It was soooo hot, when I got near town, probably the hottest day of the trip, and I needed to shave so I stopped for supplies, booked a room, hung all my stinky sweaty riding gear outside and headed for a burger. I hit the hay early and looked forward to riding the next day...

Day 7

Before leaving Fruita, I stopped by the carwash and spent all that change you collect on a trip... WR was nice and shiny again!

Back on tarmac my route took me through Ouray, CO.. really neat town too touristy for me but it was beautiful for sure...

My WR was a bit sad she wasn't in more photos... there you go!

One last photo op..

After leaving Ouray, I rode the million dollar highway to Silverton.. then Durango, where I'd hold up for the night...

The sights along the $1millon highway are awesome.. I'd jump off the highway onto some of the COBDR, just a couple short sections here and there...

Next.. I'll share my awesome travels back home...

My ADV Website
Old 10-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #305
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

I finally made it back to BigDog's motovan in Cortez, CO... the theme of the next 2 days.. rain!! Jeff said they got more rain the few weeks around our visit than all the time he'd lived in Colorado.. haha!

Jeff's dad was a great sport.. he kept me company during my wait for my flight, I even bummed a ride to the airport from him.

I got checked-in, boarding pass in hand.. then we see our plan taxi up, pilots get out and engines turn off. Hmm.....

There's about 10 of us there waiting... and we notice all of the airport personel kinda huddling around whispering.. then they break and take us through security.. yes!! 10 minutes later.. "We're sorry but they have cancelled flights into Denver, we are in a 1 hour delay".

So we sit and wait...

One hour turns into two, then three, then they say the flight is cancelled for the night. All of us scramble to call the airlines and re-book for the 6am flight the next morning. I talk to United and he confirms my booking.. so I call my good buddy Jeff back up... "J...E..F..F.... I'm stuck at the airport!" "No problem, I'll pick you up and you can stay at the house, dinner's waiting for you", Jeff says. Woohoooo!!

So I stay at Jeff's another night, he kindly gives me the keys to his truck to take to the airport, since I have to be there at 5am! What a help that was.. I get to the airport, go to check in.. and "I'm sorry sir, but you are NOT in our system!"

"Oh.. and there are no empty seats on this flight!"

My jaw drops.. and they tell me to call the airline, which I do... Immediately the lady(who knows what she's doing) starts to put it in high gear to help me out. She calmly tells me what she's doing and to please hold... I hold. and hold. and hold. The airport is now pushing passengers through security and seating them on the plane!! While I'm standing in the lobby waiting.....

She comes back and says "you are good to go..BUT you have to go to Denver, then to Chicago, then to St. Louis... so have them print your boarding pass." They try and fail! Seems I know owe $300 bucks.. so I kindly tell the mystery lady on the phone.... she says "hold on.. let me do something... ok, almost done, ok have them try now" BOOM!!

Now I hurry and go through security, get on the plan.. and we sit.. and wait again.........

Finally, clear to take off.. we fly to Denver, I bust over to the tram, get to my gate and on the gate.. (wish I took a photo!)

FLIGHT TO CHICAGO DELAYED 9:30AM (2 HR DELAY!)

Which means my connector from Chicago to St. Louis I will not make.... so the United clerk does some magic and books me on a later flight out of Chicago, putting me in St. Louis, instead of 4:30pm a good ole 10:45pm!!!!

At this point I didn't care.. I ate a burrito and finally got on my flight to Chicago.. where I waited a couple more hours that I'll never get back...

Ahh... time to board this little puddle jumper to St. Louie...

Spending so much time in airports, there are lots of stories I could tell.. but most importantly the one about how much I HATE to fly and rely on airlines to get me where I need to go. I should of left Cortez, CO on my WR250R and been back in St. Louis sooner than flying... from Cortez, CO to St. Louis is just an few hours on a airplane, but mine took a couple days!! haha!!

Our UTBDR trip was an epic adventure... but the best part was this..

Riding with good buddies, doing what we love to do.. ride ANYWHERE!

My ADV Website
Old 10-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #306
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,859
Oh man that is awful ! Sometimes it's faster or as fast to ground travel !
Not that I would. Lol
Glad you made it home eventually and had a great trip !

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk Pro

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #307
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 139
Great report as usual guys. I have been following along and dreaming of getting my behind out in that country for a trip. Fantastic photos and you all get along fabulously. Maybe I can be the first New Brunswicker to stay at Three Step !!

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #308
Rhodester
still tickin'

Oddometer: 10
Love of flying!

Man Bill! I knew that you had had some trouble getting back home but I had no idea how much. Thank goodness for Jeff and his wonderful family, it could have been a much bigger hassle. Anyway, it was great riding with you and you're the master of the photo and video reports! Bud
Rhodester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #309
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,646
Day 12 September 12th, 2013

Bill---what a deal you went thru getting home-------glad to hear the whole story.

And now it time for the last day of BDR ride----Day 12

Our last day on the Back Country Discovery routes.
Camp to Cortez, Colorado

We broke camp early---and barring any disasters we all knew this was our last day on the BDR's.

It started out really great--just damp dirt roads with no dust as we headed North at first on the BDR towards Vanadium and then turned South
then Southwest.

At some point we rode by Groundhog reservoir which I remember being extremely low.

Yes the clouds are juicing up------man we have been so lucky this whole trip not to get mired down in impassable mud.

The thunder boomed---the lightning flashed---and the immenent rain was obvious.
So Dingweeds put on his rain gear.

And Bud thought it a good idea too.
Me-----my riding suit was waterproof---so I just harassed them.

Not many pictures------but it poured and poured and poured.
A fog rolled in -------actually I guess we were up in the clouds and at tmes you couldn't see anything.
I just knew we were going to hit some nasty mud---but once again were lucky as the roads had a good bottom to them
and we just had to skirt a couple really big mudholes that went all the way across the road.
We fought the fog on our glasses and face shield and it made for some slow going.

As we got closer to Cortez the ran let up.

Our bikes were a mess--our clothes too.
Since I was going to have to put my muddy bike back inside my sprinter van I suggested we wash our bikes and clothes
before arriving back at Jeff's and loading up.

We are 3 drove our tow vehicles back to the 3-step hideaway and I planned to stay for a bit.
As soon as we got there I got really sick----I mean really sick and thought for a bit I was going to the emergency room.
I was shaking uncrollably and just felt really weak and sick at my stomach.
I toughed it out and Julie started pouring gatorade and water down me and I recovered pretty quickly.
I think I might have been de-hydrated and maybe also had a touch of altitude sickness---we had been camping for days above 10,000ft.
It was good to have friends around. I knew to drink lots of water out here---but maybe didn't drink enough.

So when you come to the 3-step Hideaway you'll be greeted by these fine folks.
Dingweeds, Julie and Bailey.
They will take care of you.

Bailey is a huge dog but don't be skeert-----she's so friendly and hopes you will play with her.
She loves to be scratched and play tug-O-war or fetch.
But really would like for you to walk her out to the pond and throw a stick in the pond for her to fetch.
You will wear out before she does.
If Scott wasn't such a good friend I'd steal this dog and take it home with me.

So------relax on the porch of your cabin---get a cold drink---take a deep breath and forget your troubles--forget about TV's---the internet---your smart phone-----noisy cities-----
as you stare at the view that the Hideaway has.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

A rough map of our days route today---minus the drive over to the 3-step Hideaway
About 98 miles for the day.

I finally said goodbye to all my friends sadly---and headed back to Illinois and my home where my loving wife and dog await me.
Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
And Tomorrow May Never Come

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 06:13 PM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #310
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,421
Another awesome RR!

Thanks for taking us along.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #311
Harder1
braaaap!

Oddometer: 54
Well Done

Great report Guys! Thanks for the effort that goes into these reports.

Scott, as many have said, what a fantastic new place you got out there. But what is extra special is that you are willing to share it with us. That says a lot about a feller.
Harder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:40 PM   #312
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Thanks for the GREAT RR!!!
FANTASTIC ride with AWESOME Friends!!!
Julie, Bailey and I, look forward to meeting everyone @ 3 Step Hideaway!
Hope everyone has a warm and safe winter!
Scott

Website coming soon @ 3stephideaway.com
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #313
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Oddometer: 296
Thumb

Excellent Adventure Guys and great RR....just excellent!
Hoot Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #314
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 340
Thumb Thank You!

Thank for taking us along on your ride!

There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #315
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by harder1 View Post
great report guys! Thanks for the effort that goes into these reports.

scott, as many have said, what a fantastic new place you got out there. But what is extra special is that you are willing to share it with us. That says a lot about a feller.
^ +1 ^

Quote:
julie, bailey and i, look forward to meeting everyone @ 3 step hideaway!
Website coming soon @ 3stephideaway.com
f5 f5 f5 f5 f5 f5 ...
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote