User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #106
Rhodester
still tickin'

Oddometer: 12
Do it while you can!

Rusty Rocket, plan your trip and ride it while you can still enjoy it. I'm not too far from turning 69, I think that Big Dog is 62, Dingweed is around 54 and Bill was the youngster (Happy 40th!) Ride in your comfort zone and if you're with a great group (as I was), you'll have plenty of help if you need it.

Mark, Bill and Scott- great photos and video! I'm so glad you guys were handling them and not me. Bud

Rhodester screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 04:09 PM Reason: new info
Rhodester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #107
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,553
Nice videos!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #108
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
And coming up later

Did you fart Bud ??? No---I thought you did.
No I didn't---it had to be you----let me check !!!!!!
Ahhhhhh------we'll check tonight.

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #109
hardroadking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
[QUOTE=Rhodester;22456817]Rusty Rocket, plan your trip and ride it while you can still enjoy it. Ride in your comfort zone and if you're with a great group (as I was), you'll have plenty of help if you need it.

Hey Rusty Rocket: good advice above from Rhodester. I met him a few weeks back and he is quite the physical specimen for 69...think Jack Lalane...not your average septuagenerian. But even if you are in the physical average range for your age, you can still do it with the right bike and the right friends and the right preparation.

My motorcycle gang....we don't have a name yet...maybe we should be the "air cooled doctors" since we all ride DR 650's are also a bit mature. I am the baby in the group at 57 and we go up to 72 with 3 at 62 (and one's a gurl) and one at 65. We keep our stable of DR650's in Grand Junction and then fly out a few times during the year to ride for a few weeks.

Make it happen so you have no regrets later. Take lots of pics and videos so when the most exciting ride you can handle is your rocking share, you can still relive the feelings of your adventures in motion.

good luck Rusty Rocket,
Tim
Old 10-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #110
Ol Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Thanks for the video. Muley Point looked great in the stills, but the video really told the story.
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #111
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,841
Great report guys, really enjoying it.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #112
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingWeed View Post

A Piano and player are on the Wish list for the Cantina!!!!!!
Scott
How far are you willing to go with this....I can put together an orchestra....with my sons.....blues, jams, old school, contemporary......

I think we crossed paths in Monticello in late June....we were running the UTBDR on 990Adv's........hotel parking lot......

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #113
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
"How far are you willing to go with this....I can put together an orchestra....with my sons.....blues, jams, old school, contemporary......

I think we crossed paths in Monticello in late June....we were running the UTBDR on 990Adv's........hotel parking lot"...... The Walrus

Hey Walrus,
I remember you guys!!!.....A jamb session would be Great!!!
Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:40 AM   #114
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
The Ranch?

Excellent ride report. I am enjoying the pictures and the banter. I fly into Phoenix next Friday and the first job is new shoes and a chain set for my WRR. I should get some local riding in. I've scouted some of the GWT already so maybe work it further north.

So Dingweed, your ranch is capturing my imagination. I love all the outbuildings and off-the-grid services. What are your plans for it? Sort of a dude ranch for dual sports? The BMW crowd would go crazy for a rally at a place like that. Could serve Starbucks in the morning with their brats...

My sister has a place like that on the Sea of Cortez, about 50 miles north of San Jose Del Cabo. 30 years ago it had no services either. We had non drinking water trucked in and we all brought drinking water and food in our luggage. It had a diesel generator to power things. Had a couple panga's we'd launch from the beach. Caught lots and lots of Dorado and tuna with a few Marlin too. BBQ fish every night! Got around on a fleet of ATV's. My wife and I generally slept under a palapa. Only clothes we took were flip flops, swim suits and cargo shorts. It was heaven.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #115
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,723
Day 2

What an awesome night we had.. we woke up to a more beautiful scenery..

it was time to get loaded up and ride on..

until next time Muley Point!

We had great roads ahead of us.. of all sorts.. dirt, sand to complete rock

Riding up to this little resting spot was a blast.. not to technical but enough to keep you focused...

Now.. let me sidetrack for a second on this "Wonky" stuff ole BigDog, Dingweed and Bud referred too.. seems we'd been riding miles and miles and miles and miles of this stuff..

We took a short rest and I was just wore the heck out.. fighten the bars left to right.. like a bucking cowboy and a bull.. then all the "old-timers" or shall I say "wise guys" look and my bike and say, "oh, you don't have a stabilizer????" I say "NOOO!" DingWeeds grins and says "here, check out my bars" "WhattheHECK!! This is cheatin'" I claim.. straight up cheatin!! Dirty dogs.. just laughed at me and said.. "well.. lets get moving!"

Next up for my bike.. a Scotts steering stabilizer! Ok.. carry on..

Now what you all don't know is right here, BigDog is just posing, see he's ridden all this stuff so much, him and Dingweed put Cattle-Gate-Openers on all of these, they just hit a button on their bars and they fly open.. I just keep riding on thru. Sucks for all you fellas that have to stop at these gates all the time...

Earlier we had decided that we were going to make our UTBDR a bit different, and head out to this hidden Ranch that no one on earth nows about except a couple of us. Any one can get these UTBDR routes and ride them.. but not everyone can go to this hideaway (yet), I think the last persons here were Jesse James and the gang.. or someone like that....

We'd have to go through a mountain pass to get there..... OK!

You mean we have to ride thru this ?!?! And watch out for deer and moose..... OK!

Ahhhh...

the temps dropped as we kept climbing..

We had to stop and just take this view all in...

We kept riding until...

we reached the ranch.. Dingweeds said we were in for a treat too.. a surprise dinner!

more in a bit....

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #116
Rhodester
still tickin'

Oddometer: 12
A fox smells his own tracks first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Did you fart Bud ??? No---I thought you did.
No I didn't---it had to be you----let me check !!!!!!
Ahhhhhh------we'll check tonight.

Let it be known that all flatulence issues were handled by the Big Dog (overly enthusiastically I might add). Bud
Rhodester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #117
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
I agree on the steering stabilizer.

Was out on a 3 WR ride a couple weekends ago with lots of rocks on our route. The other two guys were complaining about sore shoulders at the end of the day, and I felt great.

I am convinced the difference was the GPR stabilizer on my bike.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #118
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
I agree on the steering stabilizer.

Was out on a 3 WR ride a couple weekends ago with lots of rocks on our route. The other two guys were complaining about sore shoulders at the end of the day, and I felt great.

I am convinced the difference was the GPR stabilizer on my bike.
I AGREE! I got some 15+ yrs of youth on these fellas and I was crashed at the end of the day riding that silty sandy stuff... then day 4 i think.. got even more fun!

Old 10-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #119
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Hideaway

we made it!!! What a treat this was for us.. eyes wide and just giggling!

then the smell of dinner.. Rick was fixin us a homestyle steak dinner.. man he can cook, and another storyteller..super guy he is.. and I was all ears!

BOOM!

After dinner with a full belly.. BigDog found his "spot!" That grin didn't leave his face for hours.... or maybe he's gotta use the bath house ?!

Now let me just tell you about this guy...

This is Scott, as you probably know.. Dingweeds for short. I've been getting to know Scott through email and from his rides with BigDog. This ride was the first time I actually got to meet Dingweed, but it felt like we'd been riding buds for years.. I guess its because we've followed each others rides... anywho.. Scott is the most humble, selfless guy I think I know.. there just aren't many who have the heart of this guy. BigDog always told me he was a great feller, one of a kind! And I had a few tweaks to do on my bike, and Scott was there to help me or I'd just let him work and watch. He helped me out a lot on this ride... I think if it came down to it, he'd give up his bike so that you could ride and have a good time, heck he'd find a way back home somehow, as long as you were happy, he was happy. From what I know there's only one guy who didn't instantly befriend Dingweed, but they'll tell that story later..

THANKS SCOTT... I LOVE YOU MAN!

One good looking crew right here..

Old 10-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #120
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,790
Freaking Awesome!!
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote