Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2014, 04:28 AM   #196
garnaro OP
MotoBlunderer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbrundage View Post
Wow, man. I've read a lot of ride reports, and I will happily admit this is one of the best I've ridden. The culmination of your very clear voice, well-composed photos, and AFRICA(!) makes this hands down one of my favorites.

I know it's difficult to keep these things going while you're on the road, I've tried a few times and never get past the first couple entires, then just delete it out of embarrassment, but know that the time and effort you put into this on your end is appreciated by orders of magnitude on our end.

Goodspeed, man!

Thanks a bunch for the encouraging words David. Happy to have found a way to give back to a community that I've taken a lot from while I was lurking about riding my desk.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:45 AM   #197
garnaro OP
MotoBlunderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasM View Post
Great photos!

I'm planning an Africa-trip in a couple of years, and this is the perfect inspiration. Thanks a lot for bringing us along.
do it man!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:57 AM   #198
garnaro OP
MotoBlunderer

Back to the Beach

Upon arrival in Sierra Leone we found a tiny little island paradise owned by a London expat named Jason who generously allowed me to pitch my tent on the sand for a few days free of charge.

Other island lurkers included a couple of British guys with various business dealings in Sierra Leone and like Jason, had a military history here. These were tough characters, all lifelong adventurers and fighters of one kind or another that seem to need the daily uncertainty of a place like Sierra Leone. After his time in the army, Jason did mercenary work around the world. Exploits of the other guys included a Thai boxing championship and some truly hair-raising survival situations during of the years of civil war in Sierra Leone. It struck me that these are the kind of guys characters are patterned after in Hollywood movies set in west Africa.

The local people here truly have very little of the basic necessities to live and it's a sharp contrast to the privilege that those of us from rich countries enjoy. Jason gives some of the young guys in the village the work that he can and supports the village football team. Many of the guys sleep outside during the dry season. Most things are made with what is on hand and nothing seems to go to waste. Tony has carried soccer balls, umbrellas, cooking utensils, tools, and all manner of other things in his van all gotten for free in his home of Belgium that he distributes to the people we meet. Nothing is ever refused.

Anytime that Tony and I were making a meal at the van we would have a crowd of boys and young men hanging about who were curious about us and our vehicles, but often also really could use something to eat. When the crowd was small enough we shared what we had. Being a spectacle from morning to night truly becomes exhausting.

This is Tiboi.

He is 14. His father was killed during the war and his mother died shortly after, so he has been mostly on his own for a long time. Unfortunately, his story is not so uncommon in this country that still shows the scars of a bloody civil war. He carries water over to the island and does some cleaning for money. He ate breakfast and dinner with Tony and I and slept on my board bag at night.

It was time for at oil change and valve check for Dyna Rae, so I stripped her naked and got to it. Itís never fun opening up passages to your engine in the dirt, but in central Africa, there is lots of dirt and not much tarmac that isnít a road.

The access plug on the side of the magneto cover to crank the piston over to the correct position for a valve inspection was very tight and there was plenty of play in the allen socket. Stripping the soft magnesium plug seemed a certainty if I really laid into it. So, with Tonyís help, a solution was reached Africa style, bodging a sleeve from an aluminum can to shore up the play in the allen socket.

While we were still congratulating ourselves for the creative solution, Tony noticed a piece of metal sitting in the bottom of the inside of the engine case. Unfortunately, in pounding the allen wrench in with a hammer, we had pounded through the back of the plug. Brilliant mechanics, eh? I now had a nice hexagonal hole in my engine case -you know, where the oil moves around. You donít have to know a lot about engines to surmise that this is not a good thing. JB Weld to the rescue! Good as new.

There was no surf at this end of the Freetown peninsula, so I had time to wander around and take some photos.

Faith.

Survival.

Change.

Escape close at hand.

Colonial relics.

Communication.

Held fast.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:21 AM   #199
WernerRoux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22

Well done so far. I like your pictures!

I guess you are looking forward to Jeffreys Bay's waves!
WernerRoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #200
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,075
keep it coming!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #201
Cheeseburner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Definitely one of the best RRs out there. More, the people DEMAND MORE!
Cheeseburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #202
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,244
This is so awesome... Thank you
Old 01-30-2014, 05:58 AM   #203
kuyaoli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
I am still speachless watching those awesome pictures and reading your adventures. And yes those guys in Sierra Leone really look like the folks Hollywood shows us in some tough movies.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:39 AM   #204
garnaro OP
MotoBlunderer

more on the way guys! Sierra Leone has totally captivated me - I'm still here!
Old 01-31-2014, 04:16 PM   #205
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,570
Amazing Africa, thanks for sharing your ride
Old 01-31-2014, 08:55 PM   #206
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,226
From another surfer and moto adventurer... thanks for more

intoxicating material, really.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:33 AM   #207
genuine69
n00b

Oddometer: 4
great photos!

great story, I also really like the pics! Just wondering: What camera do you use?

Keep up the good work and enjoy!
genuine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #208
jcbernardez
n00b

Oddometer: 1
hey bro! i came across your thread on the swellinfo.com forums, and I HAD TO create an account on this forum to fucking congratulat you! hell yeah!! youre living the dream man cant wait for you to get to Jbay hell yeah bro ride on!!
jcbernardez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:38 AM   #209
garnaro OP
MotoBlunderer

camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuine69 View Post
great story, I also really like the pics! Just wondering: What camera do you use?

Keep up the good work and enjoy!
thanks! most are with a Lumix GF3 4/3 sensor camera and 14mm lens (28mm full frame equivalent). This combo is really small so it is always in my waist pack and good for wide landscape style shots.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:41 AM   #210
garnaro OP
MotoBlunderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbernardez View Post
hey bro! i came across your thread on the swellinfo.com forums, and I HAD TO create an account on this forum to fucking congratulat you! hell yeah!! youre living the dream man cant wait for you to get to Jbay hell yeah bro ride on!!
thanks brother! I've never been on swellinfo.com - maybe someone posted the link.

It's loads of fun and I can't wait for more waves heading south..