User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 08:53 PM   #286
screwit
One more time

Oddometer: 847
Me too

Hell of a good cause. I'm in for a few bucks!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:12 AM   #287
takeastep
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Donated

Nothing better then riding, surfing, and making a difference.
takeastep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:31 AM   #288
Isgro
Free ranging...

Oddometer: 48
Great ride report! I just donated some cash for the cause.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #289
miksail
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Just a reminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnaro View Post
Unbelievable guys. We're more than half way there. More than half of this well will be from ADVrider! I updated Coco and he is stoked - he said that the shovels are ready!

Some Kids in Sierra Leone Need Our Help

Lest we forget the cause...
miksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #290
Stonedude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Pretty sure much of what I donate to typically goes to fund more behind the scenes stuff than the actual people we are trying to help.

With this one I see direct results for the village and will be happy to help.

Truly inspiring read... man goes in search of epic surfing.... man finds love of surfing can connect strangers and turn them into family. Inspiring stuff of the highest order.

God bless you and Coco!
Stonedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #291
thinairflyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Let's keep it going!

My $20 sent.

Is there a place to donate for food for these kids? For sure they don't get enough to eat....... :-(

L D
thinairflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #292
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 199
Great RR! I think this may have convinced me to take a similar route instead of Siberia... the weather and surf look a lot nicer than Russia

Are there shops to rent surfboards at the bigger destinations? I don't think I can justify carrying a board the whole way. I saw the one shop you posted a pic of, but are they semi-common?

Keep up the good work and enjoy the trip
Solo Ride – Pennsylvania to Anchorage, Alaska and back – 2011

Two Ape supermotos take on the Dragon
lookaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:37 AM   #293
Gedrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinairflyer View Post
My $20 sent.

Is there a place to donate for food for these kids? For sure they don't get enough to eat....... :-(

L D
I have to add to this it is often more expensive to send food that it is to donate it we have found that out a while back and even if you do have funding to send the food it is no guarantee it will not end in some corrupt official's store. The best is to support organisations such as these that make changes on ground level. The problem with big charity's are that they are often a hiding place for someone's money and they only have to have proof that 10% of the total Charity has been spent on the actual cause. The rest is spent on administration and investment, and as it is a charity they do not have to pay tax on it. It is sad to say but it is unfortunately the harsh truth of the matter. I am 10 times more likely to aid causes like these than support the bigger charities. I once dated someone that worked for one of the big charities and I was shocked to find out what was involved and how things were administered.
Gedrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:45 AM   #294
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrog View Post
I have to add to this it is often more expensive to send food that it is to donate it we have found that out a while back and even if you do have funding to send the food it is no guarantee it will not end in some corrupt official's store. The best is to support organisations such as these that make changes on ground level. The problem with big charity's are that they are often a hiding place for someone's money and they only have to have proof that 10% of the total Charity has been spent on the actual cause. The rest is spent on administration and investment, and as it is a charity they do not have to pay tax on it. It is sad to say but it is unfortunately the harsh truth of the matter. I am 10 times more likely to aid causes like these than support the bigger charities. I once dated someone that worked for one of the big charities and I was shocked to find out what was involved and how things were administered.
Indeed. The history with with "big charities"- more commonly known in 3rd World countries as Non Governmental Organisations or NGOs, is that they are almost completely ineffectual. They further their own cause, and don't really accomplish anything for folks at or near ground level. Most have been in Africa, for example, for decades with very little affect to show for their presence, for all the money spent.

Reading Paul Theroux's Dark Star Safari travelogue, where he walked from Cairo to Capetown provides a pretty good (if not dated by now) glimpse at these people- of all the people he met while on his African Trek, of all the good experiences he relates in his book- he paints a pretty dismal picture of NGO folks. His primary interaction with the NGO folks in their big new land rovers was particularly when he was in need of assistance or maybe a ride. They'd see him and quickly roll up their windows and speed past him, purposely ignoring him- maybe even darn near running him down in their haste to escape him!
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #295
garnaro OP
MotoBlunderer

Oddometer: 245
That is the plan. build thread! I love it. His internet connectivity is not fantastic, but he has promised to send me updates and photos that I will post for all to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
This brings up an excellent point. Would Coco be in a position to document the progress on the well once we have raised the money for it? I am sure that the donors here and on the other various fora would get a kick out of a "build thread."
Old 03-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #296
garnaro OP
MotoBlunderer

There are some shops boards some places, but not many. You could still surf without carrying a board, but you'd be fairly limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
Great RR! I think this may have convinced me to take a similar route instead of Siberia... the weather and surf look a lot nicer than Russia

Are there shops to rent surfboards at the bigger destinations? I don't think I can justify carrying a board the whole way. I saw the one shop you posted a pic of, but are they semi-common?

Keep up the good work and enjoy the trip
Old 03-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #297
garnaro OP
MotoBlunderer

Going Left in Liberia

After more than a month, I finally managed to extricate myself from the Freetown peninsula. The welcoming nature of the surfers, my beautiful camp spot on Bureh beach, the buzz of new beginnings in Freetown, and the ever-present hopeful spirit of the people made it a good place to get stuck. Sometimes a long journey just feels looking for one place after another to get stuck. Places that fill in the gaps for a while that widen with every mile on the road.

While in Freetown, I'd procured a fresh new passport from the US Embassy and employed the usual African ingenuity to repair the broken latch on my toolbox.

I even managed a to leave with stack of calling cards courtesy of Tony on the Road’s mobile media center.

When it was time to head off, some of the kids from Bureh wanted to come along for the ride.

I managed to shake them.

Motoring south through Sierra Leone the road deteriorated to the point that I weaved in S-tracks back and forth across the road to avoid all of the truck sized holes. The smaller holes had nice smoothly curved sides that I could into ride into using them as berms to bank off of. Massive woops created by the trucks swallowed up every inch of Dyna Rae’s travel and sent me weightless over their crests. I thought that I may have taken a smaller road by accident, but I knew that those holes must be from the biggest of trucks. If they were on this road, I figured that it must be the main road south.

The road eventually turned into a river.

Roads like this are utterly arduous to travel in a truck as you get shaken to bits with every hole and protruding rock. While tiring to ride on a motorbike, it’s fun also plenty of fun endeavoring to keep pace with a smooth flow through the whole mess. I made my stealth bush camp for the night out of sight from the road and as usual ended up hearing voices for hours along the road and hoping to stay undetected. Sometimes I feel a bit old to still be honing my hiding skills.

The jungle bloomed around me.

The trees towered overhead.

The forest corridor stretched on.

I couldn’t have timed my arrival to the beach in Liberia any better, with a fresh swell just rolling in to the legendary left-hand points of Robertsport that I was so keen to ride. The continental shelf drops off abruptly offshore of Liberia, allowing open ocean swells approach the coast at full steam. Swells slam into a series of points to generate the storied reeling, down-the-line waves that are still rarely ridden by more than a handful of surfers.

Like Sierra Leone, Liberia endured years bitter civil war that left the cities in ruins. The second Liberian civil war lasted from 1999 to 2003, close on the heels of the first civil war lasting from 1989 to 1996. Together the wars resulted in 250,000 people killed. The first war ended with Charles Taylor in control who went on to play a role in further atrocities committed in neighboring countries. In September of 2013, Taylor was found guilty of war crimes in a tribunal at The Hague for his role in Sierra Leone's civil war and sentenced to 50 years in prison. A tenuous peace has in endured for the last 10 years in Liberia with democratic elections dictating changes in power rather than coups by warlords.

While peace has come to Liberia, the tourists have not. In fact, the only white people that I meet here are those working in some capacity or another, either for the US State department, US AID, Peace Corps, or one of the NGOs. Your only company non the beach are fishermen going about their daily business.

Robertsport is filled with interesting looking buildings with plenty of dilapidated character.

I rode the points of Robertsport at about head high for days with hardly anyone to share it with. I did enough backhand snaps to get on my own case when I did a bad one and congratulate myself a bit when I did a good one. It’s a funny thing surfing good waves by yourself all day: its a fantasy when you’re surfing your normal crowded breaks in California, but after you do it for a few days straight, you just want someone to share in the fun (and see when you do a good backhand snap). I wasn’t even surfing the best points most of the time, which really get cranking during the wet season.

I camped beneath a massive cotton tree that reminded me of ‘Home Tree’ in the movie ‘Avatar’. The trunk was huge and had roots that created vertical walls radiating out away from the tree. It felt like I was getting a big hug from that tree.

When traveling in Africa you have to get used to lots of attention. The kids that you spent the previous afternoon playing with appear at 7 AM to watch you make breakfast and pack your things. The morning that I left was no exception, and I tried to keep my patience with them but failed and ended up telling them that they had to go away.

At the campsite I met a British girl named Louise who is working for an NGO called the Sustainable Development Institute in Monrovia, which advocates for legislation and policies to improve the lot of local village people in land transactions. This sort of work is critically important in such a corrupt country as Liberia, where whoever has the cash generally gets to make the rules up as they go. This usually results in the village people, who often use land communally, getting royally screwed when a big company arrives with plans for a forest tract.

Louise invited me to come stay in Monrovia where I slept on the hammock on the balcony for a few nights and had a great time with her and the crew who lived at the house. Most importantly, I learned that I absolutely love sleeping in a hammock in tropical climates. Beats the crap out of sleeping a little tent sauna.

The UN is still here in force as are copious NGOs still helping to put the pieces back together. Nowhere is the UN presence more apparent than in Monrovia – the place is filled to the brim with UN workers and still some troops. The white trucks with the big UN marked in black letters on the side are ubiquitous throughout the city. American accents can be heard all over the place. It’s kinda weird. I scurried off from Monrovia for more hiding in the bushes.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #298
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
How much have you raise for the well project?
Please show your chart ever couple of days so new adv members just visiting will see it and have a chance to donate.
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #299
garnaro OP
MotoBlunderer

status..

hey guys, sorry for the radio silence - I was off out in the wild blue yonder for a bit. The only network I can use right now is blocking the paypal site! I'll update as soon as I find another place to get online and have look where we're at in the next couple days.

thanks again to all!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #300
arjones
Roads and Waves

Oddometer: 187
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnaro View Post
hey guys, sorry for the radio silence - I was off out in the wild blue yonder for a bit.
thanks again to all!
Oh boy... riding some good ones I guess?
arjones is offline   Reply With Quote